TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 SHELBY GT 500 INFO

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:backtotopic:

Any help with this "Vapor" color please?

Sorry not yet.

Challenger will easily be heavier than the '500, IMO. Like 200+ pounds. With less HP (as of this day, from what I know).

What Ford need to do is lighten the '500 up. AL block would help. That would solve alot of engine work (V10). Next Gen 'Stang should be lighter and can address that, so there may be a 1 year lull where the Camaro rules. Then the game is on again. I don't see the Camaro thrashing the '500, but if most of the info is true, this car could be a real street killer.

Either way, on the street it boils down to drivers anyway. Who has the biggest brass nuts...

Ford, GM, Chrys....errrrr D/C: It's all good as I love muscle cars. Let the wars begin! :hyper:

Guys I love to tell you all everything I know, but I can't! Sorry Steve Saleen screwed up a few months ago when he released some info on the new Camaros. I can tell you he was right! GM is has big plans for the Camaro.

Tim

Thanks, LR ...I understand.

It will be fun ;)

I once again, do not see Ford being on top of the muscle car wars. I think Ford only ruled that for 2003, 2004 and 2007, possibly 2008 and thats it :( for now.

But as Im sure all of you agree, Mustangs just seem to be more fun to drive and own, and tend to sell 1000000 times better than anything else.

The Camaro will come with a Factory Super Charger just like the Shelby. If you make the same changes to the Camaro as the Shelby, the camaro will still have more hp due to more Cubes.

4.6 03/04 Cobra VS 5.4 Shelby VS 6.something Camaro. Not to mention the Camaro will be slightly lighter than the Shelby.

Think what you want, but I do have all the facts on the Camaro, just like I did with the Shelby.

So in time you will see that I'm correct!

Tim

I just saw in my new Motor Trend that the Camaro would come with the 6.2L engine and an independent rear suspension. Don't take it to the bank....the mags were wrong about several things with the GT500....just telling you what I read.

Dave

I just saw in my new Motor Trend that the Camaro would come with the 6.2L engine and an independent rear suspension. Don't take it to the bank....the mags were wrong about several things with the GT500....just telling you what I read.

Dave

One version will have the 6.2

The IRS is correct. So that's good info!

Tim

Dave

Yep - and I actually like the look of the vert, but until that baby hits the dealerships and is on the road it's nothing more than a theory.....and as Homer says "In theory, communism works, in theory".

Really though you have to figure they have an advantage of knowing what they need to equal or beat. If they put out a 400HP car to compete with us 2 -3 yrs after the fact they are morons...which we know they are not so figure they put out a nice 550HP car and then someone does 600 and then ford comes back in 2011 or 12 with 650 etc.....until history repeats again and the gas crunch happens and the late 70's are upon us agan with pinto like mustangs.....This time I got the one that starts it all though and in time to mod it to play with what ever comes out....Heck a modded terminator will still be hell on wheels regardless of what comes from the factory....but the Shelby will be the car that started the muscle car wars again! Ok maybe the 2005 mustang - but The Shelby was the final straw :)

Yep - and I actually like the look of the vert, but until that baby hits the dealerships and is on the road it's nothing more than a theory.....and as Homer says "In theory, communism works, in theory".

Really though you have to figure they have an advantage of knowing what they need to equal or beat. If they put out a 400HP car to compete with us 2 -3 yrs after the fact they are morons...which we know they are not so figure they put out a nice 550HP car and then someone does 600 and then ford comes back in 2011 or 12 with 650 etc.....until history repeats again and the gas crunch happens and the late 70's are upon us agan with pinto like mustangs.....This time I got the one that starts it all though and in time to mod it to play with what ever comes out....Heck a modded terminator will still be hell on wheels regardless of what comes from the factory....but the Shelby will be the car that started the muscle car wars again! Ok maybe the 2005 mustang - but The Shelby was the final straw :)

I think the phrase pinto like Mustangs needs to be hyphenated and patented...that's funny. :hysterical2:

Pinto-like Mustangs

Yes...that's better. :hysterical2:

On a more serious note...I just can't see the HP trend continuing that much higher. It starts to get exponentially more expensive to make these cars as the HP goes up because of the need for bigger brakes, better tires, larger radiators, stronger suspensions, and on and on. I'm not saying that HP won't move up...I just think it will move up very slowly or will be relegated to niche vehicles only. In other words....I can't see anyone selling 10,000 650 HP cars anytime in the near future....I just think they'll get way too expensive to make. I think a more likely scenario is to see one of two things happen. 1) slight edging up of HP to take the lead...like 505 for the Camaro, then 510 for the newer Mustang, then 515 for the Camaro, etc. or 2) The car makers may start to focus more on something other than just HP figures, such as integrating technology like all wheel drive to improve acceleration/reduce tirespin, active handling, and so on.

The last potential scenario....and this one seems a bit longer term, is that the environmental concerns will merge with the move towards hybrids and hydrogen-fueled cars, and in 12-15 years we will no longer have such hi-perf musclecars. Of course I'd hate to see that...but it seems plausible given the green movement, political activism, and so on. Only time will tell.

Obvious this is just one man's opinion. I'm no insider...what does everyone else think?

Dave

I agree..to some degree.

the '500 could benefit with stouter internals in a HP war. Right now, that is the limitation, not the block. The new Mustang will be lighter, with bigger wells (for tires) so you will have (all things- eg, drivetrain- being equal ) a faster, better handling car.

If the HP wars continue. Some of that depends on the press these wars get... As far as hybrids, they can be made damn quick, with 100% torque right off the line. The cost, today, is prohibitive for performance hybrids. Manufacturers (today) emphasize mileage, but there are benefits to performance.

Hydrogen is out for now, technology is not ready. The problem is the size of the atom within the hydrogen storage tank cannot easily be contained without leakage. Expensive to store, transport, and get infrastructure up. My money does not ride on this technology.

Ballard Power Systems is currently one of 3 major manufacturers working on the anhydrous fuel cell powertrain for mass transportation. This uses a hydrous solution bound to larger molecules until the time comes to consume it. At that point, the molecules are attracted to a charged membrane that only allows hydrogen to pass through, but not the larger molecules. The hydrogen is immediately consumed to produce energy, so there is no loss of hydrogen. Byproduct is water vapor. Fuel cells have been in use & developement since the 60's (NASA Apollo program). Costs were extremely high to go mainstream.

Generally, hopes are that within 10 years these fuel-cell systems will become stable & affordable enough to put into mass production. Ford, D/C, and Toyota are hedging their bets on this technology, as is Honda (which is co-developing their own unit). In my mind, this technology could be the clear winner--IF they can develop the infrastructure to support these things. JMO.

Pinto-like Mustangs :hysterical:

I go away for a couple of days and you guys start having serious conversations on an interesting subject using nouns and verbs and all! -- sheesh! <lol>

I thing Ford and BMW are also on the right track focussing somewhat on combusting hydrogen in IC engines as an interim if hydrogen were to get cost effective sooner than anticipated -- also permits simple multi-fuel designs likely to be pragmatic in an extended period of infratstructure conversion.

Pinto-like Mustangs :hysterical2: who'd ever do that?! :hysterical2:

I go away for a couple of days and you guys start having serious conversations on an interesting subject using nouns and verbs and all! -- sheesh! <lol>

I thing Ford and BMW are also on the right track focussing somewhat on combusting hydrogen in IC engines as an interim if hydrogen were to get cost effective sooner than anticipated -- also permits simple multi-fuel designs likely to be pragmatic in an extended period of infratstructure conversion.

Pinto-like Mustangs :hysterical2: who'd ever do that?! :hysterical2:

Good to see you back fastback...I'll try to have more verbs and interesting subjects. Let me think about a new topic....hmmmm.....

I saw something about that somewhere.....I'm trying to find it now....

Harley, any info on convertible top options (colors)? Gotta know...

Thanks for the welcomes.

Black only on Conv Top Color. (so far) still very early I will keep you all updated as I get move info.

I'm a Mustang Nut (owned 83 total 64 1/2-70's to date, some for only the time to repair, paint, or??)

I'm also the Fleet/Comm Truck Mngr. at a Dealer in Denver. I also do the orders for Trucks & Limited Edition Mustangs, SGT, GT500's, Harley Trucks, ETC. I am in Fords Order Bank everyday, and keep a CLOSE watch on updates.

I have SOLD (2) FORD GT's, (11) Shelby GT500's, (1 so far) Shelby GT, along with (30+) Harley F150-350's

I can get it, if you want it.

thanks randy

303 584-6623

Thanks for the welcomes.

Black only on Conv Top Color. (so far) still very early I will keep you all updated as I get move info.

I'm a Mustang Nut (owned 83 total 64 1/2-70's to date, some for only the time to repair, paint, or??)

I'm also the Fleet/Comm Truck Mngr. at a Dealer in Denver. I also do the orders for Trucks & Limited Edition Mustangs, SGT, GT500's, Harley Trucks, ETC. I am in Fords Order Bank everyday, and keep a CLOSE watch on updates.

I have SOLD (2) FORD GT's, (11) Shelby GT500's, (1 so far) Shelby GT, along with (30+) Harley F150-350's

I can get it, if you want it.

thanks randy

303 584-6623

Welcome, Harley! Good to see another Denver man on the board!

Welcome, Harley! Good to see another Denver man on the board!

rpetzel A Parker man. I helped open the Burt Parker Ford Store, about 3 years ago.

I see you a GT500 on order. I can get you a Shelby if you want to give me a ring. 303 584-6623 I have a Tungsten Conv. w/Shr 1000 due in anyday. And 1 Coupe being built at end of the month. + (1) I can change to anything. (I have 11 Sold from here in Denver.) thanks randy

I was really hoping for some more leather interior inserts options like on the California Special. For the price of the car there is no excuse for this. Its in the Ford Thunderbird range which had multi colored leather insert options out the wazoo. Cobras in the past have had grey, parchment and blue(mystichrome) besides the red that is already available.

I think the phrase pinto like Mustangs needs to be hyphenated and patented...that's funny. :hysterical2:

Pinto-like Mustangs

Yes...that's better. :hysterical2:

On a more serious note...I just can't see the HP trend continuing that much higher. It starts to get exponentially more expensive to make these cars as the HP goes up because of the need for bigger brakes, better tires, larger radiators, stronger suspensions, and on and on. I'm not saying that HP won't move up...I just think it will move up very slowly or will be relegated to niche vehicles only. In other words....I can't see anyone selling 10,000 650 HP cars anytime in the near future....I just think they'll get way too expensive to make. I think a more likely scenario is to see one of two things happen. 1) slight edging up of HP to take the lead...like 505 for the Camaro, then 510 for the newer Mustang, then 515 for the Camaro, etc. or 2) The car makers may start to focus more on something other than just HP figures, such as integrating technology like all wheel drive to improve acceleration/reduce tirespin, active handling, and so on.

The last potential scenario....and this one seems a bit longer term, is that the environmental concerns will merge with the move towards hybrids and hydrogen-fueled cars, and in 12-15 years we will no longer have such hi-perf musclecars. Of course I'd hate to see that...but it seems plausible given the green movement, political activism, and so on. Only time will tell.

Obvious this is just one man's opinion. I'm no insider...what does everyone else think?

Dave

I would not disagree with you on much if any of that. I think while the market is hot there may be a few more players jumping back into the modern muscle car ring but I think along with the "other" focus the weight has to be considered. Maybe they come out with a 500hp car at 3300 lbs and also the comforts of the car....not seats but the dash options etc. We are already seeing the lexus, mecedes, BMW's with this type of HP. I have to imagine as the costs rise so will a lot of expectations on option in the car...which likely will mean more weight but some one will come out with a stripped down version for those people that want the muscle car part more than a fast family car.

Regardless I still am very happy with my purchase. I'm not trading, upgrading, or adding to the collection anytime soon....unless I win powerball or something then things may change a bit:)

The biggest downer is the idea that I can't disagree with around the more enviromentally safe cars. Not that I want the earth to suffer but I do think it sucks that perf. cars will be replaced by roller skate shaped electric water powerd cars that are not much faster than a horse or better looking than a pile of dung. Hopefully it will be more than 12-15 yrs though.

The biggest downer is the idea that I can't disagree with around the more enviromentally safe cars. Not that I want the earth to suffer but I do think it sucks that perf. cars will be replaced by roller skate shaped electric water powerd cars that are not much faster than a horse or better looking than a pile of dung. Hopefully it will be more than 12-15 yrs though.

Truth is that Industry (factories) and Industrial Trucks (Semis) are the big culprits for pollution, but you don't see congress slapping controls on them, do you? :banghead:

Truth is that Industry (factories) and Industrial Trucks (Semis) are the big culprits for pollution, but you don't see congress slapping controls on them, do you? :banghead:

Truth is? What truth are you speaking of?

When you say "controls", what do you mean? I work for the world's largest independent diesel engine maker, and we do have pollution control standards to meet. If I'm not mistaken, the first EPA guidelines for diesels started in 1988. Now they are even on industrial equipment, not just "on the road" vehicles. The most recent change was 1/1/07, whereby engines went to ultra-low sulfur fuel.

As for semis being the "big" culprits for pollution, that's debateable. It depends on which emission you think is the most offensive. NOx, HC, CO2, CO...take your pick. Cars are worse on some, diesels are worse on others. Many people think of the black "soot" that comes from a diesel "stack" when they think of pollution. Interestingly, this soot is not regulated directly, and there are no conclusive studies that it causes any adverse health affects. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's healthy or clean, but I'm just saying that the research continues. In addition, most "modern" (post 1998) semis have significantly reduced the amount of "soot", so if you are speaking of this aspect of the diesel...you may want to observe the progress that's been made on this front.

Dave

Dave, I think now that super-low supfur diesel fuels are starting to be available (federally mandated for limited nationwide availability 2/07) trucks will begin to change. The 2008 Ford (dual-turbo) clean-diesel is the first in the US; GM has one coming later this year. Long-life particulate filter technology has been one of the key R&D areas that low-sulfur fuels has made feasable. I think we're going to see much more clean-diesel extending to the big-rigs in the next few years as the new diesel fuel broadly replaces the old, though I'm not aware of any federally mandated schedule for big-rig diesels at this time (but I don't follow that very closely either). I think clean-diesel will also become the energy source of choice in cars in the future, especially hybrids, because of it's inherent efficiency over gas, especially now that diesel particulates and sulfur is finally being tamed.

Even Roush racing has been testing a Craftsman-series NASCAR truck based on the new Ford dual-turbo diesel. Very cool tech: one small variable-vaned turbo (based on the Ford Australia turbo patents, I beleive) for incredible torque low-down and one large fixed-geometry turbo for broad torque and HP. The new Ford is 365 HP and 650ft-lbs (most of it availabe starting at around 1,800 rpm!)

Europe has had clean-diesels for a year or two now, but I believe their diesel fuel and ours have been on different standards/specs which will take a few years to converge (if they converge).

Does your company make over-the-road-rig engines? If so they are most likely working on clean-diesel too I would think.

Does your company make over-the-road-rig engines? If so they are most likely working on clean-diesel too I would think.

Yes, we make over the road engines for semis as well as many other types. I'm not clear on the definition of "clean diesel", but suffice it to say that as of 1/1/07, we had new emissions requirements go into effect from the EPA (as you alluded to, the date for purchasing the VEHICLES may be 2/07, but since we sell only the engine, I believe we had a 1/07 deadline to get our engines into the pipeline) and have met all EPA deadlines. We are very proud of our commitment to producing products that perform well and reduce emissions.

For confidentiality reasons, I'm not permitted to talk about what's going on in our R&D center, but suffice it to say that we believe we are the leaders in diesel engine technology in the world in the product ranges we make (I think the smallest product we sell is around 1.7 liters, and the largest I'm aware of is 91 liters).

We even announced publicly a short time ago (see link below) that we have a product that will go on sale in March 2007 that will meet the 2010 EPA standards...a full 2.5 years earlier than necessary! That product is for one of our smaller products (6.7 liters) that's used in the Dodge Ram pickup as an optional engine.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news/cleanramdiesels.html

Dave

Yes, we make over the road engines for semis as well as many other types. I'm not clear on the definition of "clean diesel", but suffice it to say that as of 1/1/07, we had new emissions requirements go into effect from the EPA (as you alluded to, the date for purchasing the VEHICLES may be 2/07, but since we sell only the engine, I believe we had a 1/07 deadline to get our engines into the pipeline) and have met all EPA deadlines. We are very proud of our commitment to producing products that perform well and reduce emissions.

For confidentiality reasons, I'm not permitted to talk about what's going on in our R&D center, but suffice it to say that we believe we are the leaders in diesel engine technology in the world in the product ranges we make (I think the smallest product we sell is around 1.7 liters, and the largest I'm aware of is 91 liters).

We even announced publicly a short time ago (see link below) that we have a product that will go on sale in March 2007 that will meet the 2010 EPA standards...a full 2.5 years earlier than necessary! That product is for one of our smaller products (6.7 liters) that's used in the Dodge Ram pickup as an optional engine.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news/cleanramdiesels.html

Dave

Cool!!

Ah, I sort of figured... you're in southern Indiana ...diesels..... :idea: Cummins! Columbus, IN ;-)

Dave

Dave, I'm not picking a fight, but you even admit that "as of 1/1/07"....isn't that last month? I am also aware of clean deisel technology- and I think it's a great step in the right direction.

In reference to deisel trucks, there are a vast majority of very old deisels on the roads today, correct? Or am I wrong? Also, soot & pollutants contribute to acid rain, and that is not inconclusive, it's a well known fact. To deny that is, in my opinion, ludicrous.

And--most importantly: I was pointing out that these two thing do contribute to pollution relative to sports cars. Maybe you missed that!

Sports cars make up a tiny fraction of what's on the road today, agreed? My response was to that individual who claimed that these types of vehicles were "major contributors" to pollution & global warming". I don't think that sports cars are a high enough percentage {of vehicles on the road} to make a statistically significant contribution to that.

According to a very reliable source, Vapor is actually called Vapor Silver. It is about half way between Satin Silver and Tungsten.

Thanks dude!

Any idea when the order banks open for the '08's? I know it was mid March for the 07's. Any idea on the price for the options for the '08's?

Not yet, that I have heard...

Archived