TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 GT500 Differences Documented

While doing a few mods to the car I had the chance to have it up on a lift and able to really look it over well. I decided to document what I could find as differences of the 2011 GT500 to prior models. Some of these changes came about with the 2010 car, but most are new to the 2011.

Hopefully you will enjoy the detail.

Follow this link for the info: http://marblesmotors.com/GT5002011Differences.htm

post-28874-127776405938_thumb.jpg

post-28874-127776405938_thumb.jpg

Hey Randy, awesome job with the write up, very helpful to have all the information in one place as a reference guide!!! Not only that but the pictures you provided are top notice and very detailed thanks a lot of taking the time to put this together and share with us!!!

One thing I was curious about was the Shaker 1000 system, I thought you could order it but believe it was NOT an option if you order the SVT Package. Not sure why that is but it seems to be the case.

Thanks for the notes on differences. I've updated the webpage and will continue to do so as facts roll in.

All I can say is that I traded in a 2008 Z06 for this car and I was a nervous as hell about that until I got the car on the track for the first time and all I can say is this:

1) The Z06 is still definately lighter and faster in a straight line.

2) I know that I could lap the course faster in the GT500 than I could have in my Z06. The thing handles........................

3) Now that I have the new Baer Brakes, I can't wait to try it again.

Here are a few pictures from the track day: http://marblesmotors.com/GT5002011Hallett.htm

Thanks

R....

Edited by randymarble

THe 2011 also has diffuser flaps under the car in front of both rear wheels (you can see it in the pics of your rear lower control arms-2011 Mustang GT's have this too). Also sound deadener on the firewall and in the wheel wells. Non of these were on the 2010 model.

Edited by Cdvision

While doing a few mods to the car I had the chance to have it up on a lift and able to really look it over well. I decided to document what I could find as differences of the 2011 GT500 to prior models. Some of these changes came about with the 2010 car, but most are new to the 2011.

Follow this link for the info: http://marblesmotors...Differences.htm

Excellent post. Thank you sir !!

Follow this link for the info: http://marblesmotors.com/GT5002011Differences.htm

Great job on this post, Randy!! The only other difference I'm interested in seeing is the larger radiator used for the intercooler on the 2011 vs. 2010.

When I crawled around under my 2011 GT500, I thought that someday there will be an entire resto industry dedicated to reproducing all the tags/stickers affixed to the undercarriage on the car. Never in my life have I seen a chassis so festooned with bar codes and assembly tags.......

On a side note, has anyone compared the specs of the SVT PP springs/sway bars with those offered by Rousch or the like? I'm curious to see not only the 2011 vs. 2010 comparison Randy did here, but also how the 2011 w/ SVTPP comapres to Rousch or other tuners....

Edited by KEYSTONE

THe 2011 also has diffuser flaps under the car in front of both rear wheels (you can see it in the pics of your rear lower control arms-2011 Mustang GT's have this too). Also sound deadener on the firewall and in the wheel wells. Non of these were on the 2010 model.

I think the 2010 model also has the air deflectors or diffusers in both places...the ones in the back are located - if you follow the back seam of the door (to the back of where the door handle is) down to underneath the car?

I know the wheel well sound dampener padding is specific to 2011.

It's fun finding all the little details that have changed from 2010 to 2011.

Edited by Burning Blue Star IV

I think the 2010 model also has the air deflectors or diffusers in both places...the ones in the back are located - if you follow the back seam of the door (to the back of where the door handle is) down to underneath the car?

I know the wheel well sound dampener padding is specific to 2011.

It's fun finding all the little details that have changed from 2010 to 2011.

There are two flaps under the car on my 2010, but it looks like there is something plastic right under the rocker in front of the tire on the 2011.

FWIW my 2010 vert has the stouter bracing on the rear, there is supposedly more structure in the front as well, I'd be curious to see what they did exactly. Its good they put the felt in the wheelwell, it sure looks like something is missing there on the 2010. Once I get the part numbers I'll add that to mine.

Thanks for the notes on differences. I've updated the webpage and will continue to do so as facts roll in.

All I can say is that I traded in a 2008 Z06 for this car and I was a nervous as hell about that until I got the car on the track for the first time and all I can say is this:

1) The Z06 is still definately lighter and faster in a straight line.

2) I know that I could lap the course faster in the GT500 than I could have in my Z06. The thing handles........................

3) Now that I have the new Baer Brakes, I can't wait to try it again.

Here are a few pictures from the track day: http://marblesmotors.com/GT5002011Hallett.htm

Thanks

R....

It's amazing that we can track a convertible without a roll bar but we can't take it to the strip.

/boggle

It's amazing that we can track a convertible without a roll bar but we can't take it to the strip.

/boggle

EZ--no can do at Road Atlanta,not for racing.Theyll let you do paced parade laps at 60 mph, which im guessing we're seeing a picture of here

There are 2 additional plastic diffusers on the 2011. Have a look under one and you'll see what I mean. I'm pretty sure that they are on al 2011 Mustang models. I know that they are also on the 2011 GT's. I haven't seen a 2011 V6 model up close yet to confirm this on the V6 cars. Here's a pic, I outlined it in yellow, that I took of a 2011 GT. I didn't have any pics of the 2011 GT500 that showed it. But they do have then. I wonder how many will get accidentally snapped off at shops.

P6035390-Copy.jpg

Edited by Cdvision

There are 2 additional plastic diffusers on the 2011. Have a look under one and you'll see what I mean. I'm pretty sure that they are on all 2011 Mustang models. I know that they are also on the 2011 GT's. I haven't seen a 2011 V6 model up close yet to confirm this on the V6 cars. Here's a pic, I outlined it in yellow, that I took of a 2011 GT.

Yeah, the ones on the 2010's are forward of that location. Thanks CDvision.

Yeah, the ones on the 2010's are forward of that location. Thanks CDvision.

The 2011 have the forward flaps that the 2010's have as well as the additional diffusers. I'd be curious to see a parts list of the different pieces used on the 2011's vs the 2010's.

Edited by Cdvision

Great job on this post, Randy!! The only other difference I'm interested in seeing is the larger radiator used for the intercooler on the 2011 vs. 2010.

When I crawled around under my 2011 GT500, I thought that someday there will be an entire resto industry dedicated to reproducing all the tags/stickers affixed to the undercarriage on the car. Never in my life have I seen a chassis so festooned with bar codes and assembly tags.......

On a side note, has anyone compared the specs of the SVT PP springs/sway bars with those offered by Rousch or the like? I'm curious to see not only the 2011 vs. 2010 comparison Randy did here, but also how the 2011 w/ SVTPP comapres to Rousch or other tuners....

This is a good question indeed. I believe the intercooler itself is larger. If you compare the intercooler on a 2010 vs 2011 you can see that the intercooler (ie lower intake) is larger and takes up more of the valley between the heads. My question, as is yours, is the heat exchanger and larger? I have not seen any info answering this question which leads me to believe it is the same as on the 2010. Bummer since the heat exchanger was arguably the bigger problem. Any ideas?

Nice Post, very informative. I even learned something. Didn't know how to put the car in sport mode. Exactly what is that?

Sport Mode is limited traction control. Compress your brake and hold, then click the TC button twice fairly quickly. You will then see a prompt under one of the gauges that your in sport mode, also you will see the yellow skid marks to the left.

Thanks for the additional input. I've updated my webpage with additional information and pictures on the lower rocker diffusers.

Anyone know what their true purpose might be????? Keeping grit and grime and water away from the rear rotors?

Link: http://marblesmotors.com/GT5002011.htm