TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 black lower trim panels - WHY

I was looking some more at the 07-09 GT500 cars, especially as prices become more affordable. I realized something that I couldn't figure out- Why did Carroll Shelby design the car with black lower trim panels- the rockers and bumper edge? They don't line up with the front splitter, which is also plain black. The only two ideas I can come up with is either: 1) the black trim has the effect of making the car looking longer, or shorter from the side (similar to the 2010+ Mustangs), or 2) the black trim hides scratches well (since it is a performance car and could be potentially raced). Any useful input would be great. Thanks.

post-24817-127770414608_thumb.jpg

post-24817-127770414608_thumb.jpg

I was looking some more at the 07-09 GT500 cars, especially as prices become more affordable. I realized something that I couldn't figure out- Why did Carroll Shelby design the car with black lower trim panels- the rockers and bumper edge? They don't line up with the front splitter, which is also plain black. The only two ideas I can come up with is either: 1) the black trim has the effect of making the car looking longer, or shorter from the side (similar to the 2010+ Mustangs), or 2) the black trim hides scratches well (since it is a performance car and could be potentially raced). Any useful input would be great. Thanks.

That's the way it is. It is too late to change the design. They are not building 07-09 cars anymore, so why worry about it.

I think they look cool, some people hate them.

Some people paint them, some get a conversion done at SAI.

I'm not trying to change the design. I am simply wondering why it was done in the first place.

I read somewhere that it was to make the car not look so WIDE and HUGE. I would never paint mine..because I can't imagine how many scratches and chips these trim pieces would get.

Seahorse, when I said black I was reffering to them being plain, or unpainted plastic. I agree, I have a set of white ones on right now and they are showing signs of wear. I wish I could locate a plain, grey, unpainted set.

Melissa809, I remember hearing the same thing. Thanks for confirming it.

I think it was left unpainted to give the optical illusion of making the car look less chunky/bulky. My '08 Bullitt has the painted rockers but because it is a darker color it looks ok. And they don't get chewed up by debris from the tires (unless you drive in gravel roads).

I'll bet two reasons.

One is that unpainted has to be less expensive than painted.

Two is that from a styling standpoint, it makes the sides of the car look smaller.

I don't understand about the comment on them not matching the front and rear? Front, sides, and rear all have black plastic at bottom, so I think it all matches up nicely.

or how about....not being painted, Ford didn't have to be out the expense to stock every color....

if you've seen a set painted white on a white car it makes it look longer and much more dramatic.

From a visual standpoint, the painted pieces are far more eye appealing, but from a pratical standpoint as far as driving it daily, not so much...the first gravel or bump stop you even touch and the paint is history. These are relatively cheap, very sturdy and easy to replace. I've even "re-dressed" my orignal one a couple times with a dremel to get some road rash off it. Not perfect, but it does have that "driven" look.

Another aspect (read: I'm OCD about it being clean) the semi-gloss/flat on the bottom hides dirt and road grime much better. If mine were white I'd be going crazy because everyone waters the streets here.

vert tops only come in one color as well....black

as well as most of the interiors, sans a little trim here and there. Unless you mod it.

Like I said, if you don't drive yours that much or show it a lot, there are some guys on here that have had theirs painted at a quailty shop and it looks very nice. If any of you guys read this, post a pic of your car with the painted pieces on it.

I don't like the unpainted look either but I don't see the painted ones lasting long on these cars with the semi-sticky tires that kick up lots of rocks. I got myself some splash guards and plan to buy some painted black rocker panel take-offs to install now that they will be protected by the guards.

IMG_2401.jpg

Heh, I am convinced it was done for visual changes; the durability is just a bonus. I have to admit, the plain trim has grown on me. If anyone has a plain rocker set that wants to trade for my white set- they are used in good condition.

Thanks for the replies.

Heh, I am convinced it was done for visual changes; the durability is just a bonus. I have to admit, the plain trim has grown on me. If anyone has a plain rocker set that wants to trade for my white set- they are used in good condition.

Thanks for the replies.

I`m going to jump in here, because just last week I modded the front of my 500. (I need to get a couple of pics. up)

First of all, I like the lower ``grey`` rockers...hated them three years ago when I first ordered the car, and swore I was going to have my body shop paint them. Now, as I drive by the downtown store fronts and look over my shoulder in the windows (hee-hee), as I always do...my wife hates this...I really think that CS and Ford left these unpainted on the car for 1) track reasons, as someone already stated, and 2) it lends to the lowered stance appearance of the car. Personally, the word that comes to my mind after three years of thought on this, is ``Stealth``.

Next...last week I went to Ford and bought a set of F250 rear mudgaurds. (grainy finish) similar to the rocker panel itself. I took very careful precaution and patience to custom cut out a set of L&R frt. lower mudgaurds, somewhat mimicking the stock rears on the 500, only not as rounded, because the front leading edge of the rocker is more squared off. I would challenge anyone to tell me they did not come with the car! I even used the factory Ford screws that came with the F250 mudgaurds...(black heads). It is just enough protection for the GT500 decal in the lower triple-stripe, as I have noticed even the frt. stock 255`s are throwing debris / road tar up onto the decal!

I will try to get some pics. posted soon. What I would really dig is a set of the new ROUSH Designed lower rocker splitters for the 10-11 cars!! I have contacted ROUSH twice now to inquire if they will fit our older rockers...to no avail!?

If anyone has heard of this yet??????? Thx!

Bikeboy

Archived