TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aftermarket Clutch Decision - Need help

bpmurr

Right now the stock 2010 clutch is still on back order. I'm pretty much at the point where I don't care about the cost differences and want to get my car back on the road. I've nailed the brand down to McLeod. The question is do I want the RST or the RXT unit? My car is a street car that sees a lot of daily driving. The most I can see myself doing is putting a 2.9 Whipple on it down the road. From what I can tell the RST (800HP) is organic and the RXT (1000HP) is ceramic. Doing some research on the the web leads me to think the organic is better for street driving as ceramic can be rough at low speeds. I'd like to get communities input on this because I don't want to make the wrong choice. This is money I wasn't planning to spend in the first place. (Thanks Ford! :censored: )

Your instincts to go organic are your best bet.

I agree with springer. Go organic. 07 thru 09 were ceramic and although they were great for handling additional HP, they were plagued with poor driveability as a daily driver , the dreaded TSB, and the clutch shudder upon take off in first gear. Was glad to get rid of that clutch in my 2007 and love my clutch in the new 2011. Go with organic and don't look back.

A lot of people on SVT Performance are suggesting the RXT. Of course they are 07-09 owners so I don't think they know what the new clutch feels like in the 2010. Jared at Lethal has a RXT on his 2010 and has done some street driving. I'm just concerned about a ceramic clutch over time with daily driving.

A lot of people on SVT Performance are suggesting the RXT. Of course they are 07-09 owners so I don't think they know what the new clutch feels like in the 2010. Jared at Lethal has a RXT on his 2010 and has done some street driving. I'm just concerned about a ceramic clutch over time with daily driving.

Man bpmurr I feel for ya! What a mess.

Anyways, maybe you should contact vaporAlex for insight? Maybe he could do the work too? From what I have seen and heard he is the man and not too far away!

Best of luck,

DaFreak

Man bpmurr I feel for ya! What a mess.

Anyways, maybe you should contact vaporAlex for insight? Maybe he could do the work too? From what I have seen and heard he is the man and not too far away!

Best of luck,

DaFreak

Thanks DaFreak. These clutches are a real topic of opinion, experience, and preference. What bothers me the most is when people give their opinions that have no experience with the mechanical aspects of these cars giving opinions, or businesses giving opinions on what is best just for what makes them the most profit. I never install, sell or use something on a customer's car that I don't use on my own cars. Anybody on here that knows me, or who's cars my shop has worked on knows that. Many times, I have even told people where to buy parts for the best price and make nothing off it, just to help. I love these cars and the most of the people that own them and it really pisses me off when someone gets the runaround or wrong information!!

The jury is still out on the 10 clutch...I have had 14 covered under warranty for customers of 07-09s thus far, many of which make around 650 RWHP, but no one has more than 13K miles on one as far as my friends and customers. I will never use another 07-09 ceramic clutch again pre- TSB or after, I still love the SPEC Twin SS too for high HP cars and have yet to have an issue after installing over 30 of them so far.

Alex

I ended up going with the McLeod RST. It should arrive today. :)

Alex you are right about the 2010 clutch. The jury is still out but Ford gives Shelby America the ok to leave them in with the Super Snake package. Those are much higher HP applications then my little pulley swap. Who knows how well they will hold up on average.

Archived