TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brought my New GT500 Home!

F150 Duke

Hello All,

I drove back from Newton, Iowa yesterday and brought my new 2011 GT500 home. I cannot stop smiling, my face is just stuck this way...and it's a good way. Unfortunately the garage floor paint wasn't dry enough yet to drive the car into the garage. There was also a huge storm coming to the Twin Cities with hail. So after the 4 hour drive back home we got back in the car and drove 45 minutes to my parents to park the car in their garage for the night. There wasn't enough time to wash the bugs off before the hard rain started when we got there. We just got back home from their house and I'm about to go outside and wash the bugs off. On the drive home I moderated the RPM by either speeding up or slowing down. I have down a feel more agressive acceleration runs going up to 5000 RPMs to feel and hear the howl. I just couldn't help myself. This has happened 3 times and I'm sure hasn't hurt anything.

We took a ton of pictures, some of which I'll post later tonight, and then video of me starting the car for the first time!

Driving Impressions:

- There are two big differences I noticed between this and the 2010 I drove. The first is the exhaust, I LOVE IT. The second is the electric power steering. The steering feel is perfect in the parking lots and at highway speeds. I can definitely feel the difference between that and the 2010. I never had the 2010 on the highway so I don't know if the sound proofing is a huge difference. But the car is VERY quiet on the highway and crusing around.

- I am suddenly very good at not tailgating and hanging back 25 yards from the car in front of me. I was not going to do clear bra, or just do it on the paint and not do the stripes, but now I'm thinking I'll just do the entire front of the car (side mirrors, hood, front bumper, fog lights and head lights, rocker panels and door sills). I'll just live with the small line of bubbles next to the strip from the clear bra.

- Ride is firm but not harsh. It actually handles imperfections in these MN roads better than the Camaro SS I drove quite a bit.

- Kids in cars must love the look and grabber blue color. Every vehicle with kids had their heads plastered to the glass as I drove by.

Lessons Learned/Findings:

- I didn't stall leaving the dealer! :) Even though I was worried that I would.

- The white stripes on the front bumper are actually two pieces. I never knew that and they only way to notice it, is if you look from underneath the car. This was found when we had it up on the lift.

- Leaving the parking lot of the dealer I had a huge mental error. For some reason my left foot thought about my 5.4 V8 F150 and my mind was thinking 550HP mustang. Well my foot won the discussion and pushed down way too hard in second gear and I left a relatively short but still significant patch of tire marks. RPMs didn't go over 5,000 though.

- Going into reverse you don't even need to touch the gas. It's just a matter of slightly holding the clutch to back into a space. Potentially I shouldn't be dragging the clutch and just moderating the brake. But you definitely don't need to give it more gas.

- Shifts are short and notchy which is cool. I'm scared to death I'll be looking for 5th gear and find reverse instead though.

- Shifting with a water bottle in the cup holder requires you to position your arm appropriately. It'd be nice if the cup holder was recessed more, or just don't bring water bottles with you.

- A brown leather belt will leave brown markings on your white racing stripes on the seat! :( I'm going to use some leather and then vinyl (if the leater doesn't work) cleaner and a microfiber cloth. Shirts will now be untucked or I'll be wearing a cloth belt.

- Window tint to help keep the black interior cooler is on order and I"m thinking about 35% all around but don't want it to be too dark (everyone still needs to see the lucky guy driving this car). So I may do 50%.

- The sync system is WAY COOL. The weather thing paid off on the drive home, knowing how close the huge storm was closing in on us.

- The sync notification that my phone is paired by 911 assist is not enabled is crazy annoying. I'm going to need to read on how to disable this.

F-150 Duke- Congrats on the new car!! I second many of the statements you made about the car. It was really cool watching all the kids ooo and aaaa at the car while running down the road. Funny you mention the permanent smile... I've had my car for a week now and I still have the smile on my face. I'm still being cautious on the break-in but I'm starting to excercise it as I'm close to turning over 1000miles already. Boy does that make the smile get even bigger! Now, I want to respond to two of your comments.

1- The car will not go into reverse while running down the road. There is some type of lock that goes into place that doesn't allow it. The Corvette's are the same way. Just a gentle push to the right and you are going in the right place.

2- Window tint was tricky for me on this car. My Explorer has tint over the tinted glass in the back which equates to about 8% and the front doors are 10%. I was worried the car would be too dark but I went with 15% all the way around. Wow was I glad. The black interior makes the tint look real dark from the outside but seeing out is pretty easy still. My dad said when I'm in the car you can see my shadow pretty well but it is harder to distinguish features. If you aren't real big into tinted windows or drive a lot at night, I would suggest 25%-35% depending on what the installer offers. Anything over 35% you'll be kicking yourself about. For my daytime driving with the occasional night ride, I think the 15% is perfect. Perfect look from the outside, can kind of see the seats while walking by, and still functional.

And now for an extra comment... I purchased some Redline Tuning Elite Hood Struts and installed them this weekend. I'm super pleased with them! I highly recommend them as a first addition to the car. I can finally start detailing the engine without the prop rod being in the way! The only pitfall is it took about an extra 4 hours for me to install them because I just couldn't seem to get my mind right to drill 6 holes in the car. But now I'm glad I did.

F-150 Duke- Congrats on the new car!! I second many of the statements you made about the car. It was really cool watching all the kids ooo and aaaa at the car while running down the road. Funny you mention the permanent smile... I've had my car for a week now and I still have the smile on my face. I'm still being cautious on the break-in but I'm starting to excercise it as I'm close to turning over 1000miles already. Boy does that make the smile get even bigger! Now, I want to respond to two of your comments.

1- The car will not go into reverse while running down the road. There is some type of lock that goes into place that doesn't allow it. The Corvette's are the same way. Just a gentle push to the right and you are going in the right place.

2- Window tint was tricky for me on this car. My Explorer has tint over the tinted glass in the back which equates to about 8% and the front doors are 10%. I was worried the car would be too dark but I went with 15% all the way around. Wow was I glad. The black interior makes the tint look real dark from the outside but seeing out is pretty easy still. My dad said when I'm in the car you can see my shadow pretty well but it is harder to distinguish features. If you aren't real big into tinted windows or drive a lot at night, I would suggest 25%-35% depending on what the installer offers. Anything over 35% you'll be kicking yourself about. For my daytime driving with the occasional night ride, I think the 15% is perfect. Perfect look from the outside, can kind of see the seats while walking by, and still functional.

And now for an extra comment... I purchased some Redline Tuning Elite Hood Struts and installed them this weekend. I'm super pleased with them! I highly recommend them as a first addition to the car. I can finally start detailing the engine without the prop rod being in the way! The only pitfall is it took about an extra 4 hours for me to install them because I just couldn't seem to get my mind right to drill 6 holes in the car. But now I'm glad I did.

That is good to hear on the reverse/5th worry. I think I'm going to do 35% all around on the tint. I'd go darker if I lived further south (MN) but really don't need it up here and don't want the car to be too dark inside. I'd like people to still be able to see me pretty easily.

Pictures are going to take a bit longer (today or tomorrow). It was really late when I got back in last night from cleaning the car and I realized that I need to create a flickr account to upload the pictures. I'll try to do that tonight after attending my sister's pre-close home inspection.

While I'm on the topic of cleaning...that grill is a huge pain to clean the bug guts out of. I also had an unlucky butterfly make it all the way through and get stuck on the radiator...I think that's what it is. Anyhow, I have to figure out a way to get it off. I'd rather not spray the hose straight on it but I'm not seeing any other options.

To get to the bug you might do this.

Open the hood and pop off the plastic top Rad. cover. Then you can reach your hand in.

Worked on mine.

Congrats on getting your new baby !!!

To get to the bug you might do this.

Open the hood and pop off the plastic top Rad. cover. Then you can reach your hand in.

Worked on mine.

Congrats on getting your new baby !!!

Awesome, I'll try that. I must say, my wife was a HUGE help in washing the car. She kept it sprayed down to avoid water spots while I scrubbed. I think I'll have to invest in one of those water treatment things to avoid water spots. I wonder if there is a way to fab up the water softener we have in the basement for the rest of the house to do the same thing. Probably not.

Also, what do you guys use to clean off the white vinyl stripes? I have some road grease or tar spots on them. Normally if it was paint I'd use some Meg clay bar and QD to take it up, but I'm afraid of using that on the vinyl stripes. Do you in fact use that or a bug n' tar remover?

Guys,

Quick but extremely important question. When I pulled into the garage tonight after taking the car to dinner with my wife I noticed an almost burning smell when we got in the garage. Not sure if it was just the engine being warm and the fact that there is new plastic under somewhere or if was the fact there was some warm tar stuck the tires from the patching going on our road (thank you the idiots who do that stuff and make a big mess).

But my internal fear was it was the clutch burning or smelling. There is ZERO smoke, but I'm clutch paranoid since it's my first manual transmission and I've read posts here lately about people burning their clutch. I have to moderate the clutch in and out two or three times while creeping slowly into my garage spot to keep the car from stalling in first and moving forward slowly. Could it be those three in and outs of the clutch that is burning the clutch and making the smell while I'm creeping in the garage?

Am I doing something wrong? I'd rather find out now then in 1,000 miles when something breaks.

Thank you!

EDIT: After reading a few online articles is sure sounds like the pulling into the garage and using the clutch to creep in and keep the car from stalling is burning the clutch. What is the better way to creep into something like a garage spot. I have to drive up a driveway that is relatively short, and moderately graded (not steep but no where near flat...you'll easily roll backwards in neutral) and then into the garage spot and stop right away.

F150- As I started reading your post I immediately said it was just the 'new' being burnt off. The car will make all kinds of burning smells when brand new. So keep that in mind and don't panic. As far as the best way to pull into the garage, don't ride slipping the clutch at the end of its stroke. Of course you are limited by outside factors but try to do things fluidly. Pumping the clutch as you descirbed sounds like nothing to be worried about. If I were you, I'd have the garage door open well before I got to the door to keep from having to take off up the hill. That should be a big help if you don't already.

F150- As I started reading your post I immediately said it was just the 'new' being burnt off. The car will make all kinds of burning smells when brand new. So keep that in mind and don't panic. As far as the best way to pull into the garage, don't ride slipping the clutch at the end of its stroke. Of course you are limited by outside factors but try to do things fluidly. Pumping the clutch as you descirbed sounds like nothing to be worried about. If I were you, I'd have the garage door open well before I got to the door to keep from having to take off up the hill. That should be a big help if you don't already.

Yeah I have the garage door open before I start up the driveway. I think what I'll try next is to lightly keep my foot on the gas to keep it just above stall RPM and then slow the car to a creep with the brake to be able to creep into the garage. It's just the burning smell, smelt a lot like brake pads and I thought there is no way I was burning up my pads while driving. Then I did a google search on the smell of a burning clutch and all the topics said it smells like brake pads burning. I'm sure I haven't done severe damage as this has only happened once, but I need to figure out a new way that won't produce the smell.

Yeah I have the garage door open before I start up the driveway. I think what I'll try next is to lightly keep my foot on the gas to keep it just above stall RPM and then slow the car to a creep with the brake to be able to creep into the garage. It's just the burning smell, smelt a lot like brake pads and I thought there is no way I was burning up my pads while driving. Then I did a google search on the smell of a burning clutch and all the topics said it smells like brake pads burning. I'm sure I haven't done severe damage as this has only happened once, but I need to figure out a new way that won't produce the smell.

if you only smell it when youre getting inot your garage,its the clutch--brakes would smell as your driving.I have a grade into my gargae as well---i make sure the other car is over as far as possible,garage door open, then get it moving,take the clutch out and just let it idle into the garage-if its steep,the youll need multiple clutches probably, but as you get used to the clutch,youll get it down to a single step im sure.To me it also sounds like your giving it too much gas as your creeping inot the garage.Try less throttle--and if it does stall make sure youpress the clutch all the way in or it wont start

if you only smell it when youre getting inot your garage,its the clutch--brakes would smell as your driving.I have a grade into my gargae as well---i make sure the other car is over as far as possible,garage door open, then get it moving,take the clutch out and just let it idle into the garage-if its steep,the youll need multiple clutches probably, but as you get used to the clutch,youll get it down to a single step im sure.To me it also sounds like your giving it too much gas as your creeping inot the garage.Try less throttle--and if it does stall make sure youpress the clutch all the way in or it wont start

Ok, I'll try again tonight as practice, just letting it purely idle in under 1st and see if it makes it the entire way without stalling. The reason I pushed the clutch in last night was because it was sputtering to point of near stall. I just need one or two more trys to get it right and I won't clutch it to slow it down into the garage. There is no way I want to shell out $2k for a new clutch within 5 years.

Yeah I have the garage door open before I start up the driveway. I think what I'll try next is to lightly keep my foot on the gas to keep it just above stall RPM and then slow the car to a creep with the brake to be able to creep into the garage. It's just the burning smell, smelt a lot like brake pads and I thought there is no way I was burning up my pads while driving.

I tend to agree with axo250 on this..probably just some of the newness burning off. I don't park in a garage..so I can't say that I can duplicate the situation that you are describing.

But I've never smelt anything "burning" since I've had car that cause me to be alarmed about it.

You can go pretty slow in first without stalling..but I don't know the surrounding and such of your driveway and garage as to how slow you exactly have to go. But I can't see the clutch burning up just from pressing it a few times in and out. I mean that's no different than edging up to a stop sign if there were 3 cars in front of you.

Just a quick word on the tint. I have a 35% tint on the back and quarter windows and 50% on the door windows. Not too dark at all. Be sure and check your state laws regarding how dark you can go though.

I also have a clear bra. No complaints at all.

Hello All,

I drove back from Newton, Iowa yesterday and brought my new 2011 GT500 home. I cannot stop smiling, my face is just stuck this way...and it's a good way. Unfortunately the garage floor paint wasn't dry enough yet to drive the car into the garage. There was also a huge storm coming to the Twin Cities with hail. So after the 4 hour drive back home we got back in the car and drove 45 minutes to my parents to park the car in their garage for the night. There wasn't enough time to wash the bugs off before the hard rain started when we got there. We just got back home from their house and I'm about to go outside and wash the bugs off. On the drive home I moderated the RPM by either speeding up or slowing down. I have down a feel more agressive acceleration runs going up to 5000 RPMs to feel and hear the howl. I just couldn't help myself. This has happened 3 times and I'm sure hasn't hurt anything.

We took a ton of pictures, some of which I'll post later tonight, and then video of me starting the car for the first time!

Driving Impressions:

- There are two big differences I noticed between this and the 2010 I drove. The first is the exhaust, I LOVE IT. The second is the electric power steering. The steering feel is perfect in the parking lots and at highway speeds. I can definitely feel the difference between that and the 2010. I never had the 2010 on the highway so I don't know if the sound proofing is a huge difference. But the car is VERY quiet on the highway and crusing around.

- I am suddenly very good at not tailgating and hanging back 25 yards from the car in front of me. I was not going to do clear bra, or just do it on the paint and not do the stripes, but now I'm thinking I'll just do the entire front of the car (side mirrors, hood, front bumper, fog lights and head lights, rocker panels and door sills). I'll just live with the small line of bubbles next to the strip from the clear bra.

- Ride is firm but not harsh. It actually handles imperfections in these MN roads better than the Camaro SS I drove quite a bit.

- Kids in cars must love the look and grabber blue color. Every vehicle with kids had their heads plastered to the glass as I drove by.

Lessons Learned/Findings:

- I didn't stall leaving the dealer! smile.gif Even though I was worried that I would.

- The white stripes on the front bumper are actually two pieces. I never knew that and they only way to notice it, is if you look from underneath the car. This was found when we had it up on the lift.

- Leaving the parking lot of the dealer I had a huge mental error. For some reason my left foot thought about my 5.4 V8 F150 and my mind was thinking 550HP mustang. Well my foot won the discussion and pushed down way too hard in second gear and I left a relatively short but still significant patch of tire marks. RPMs didn't go over 5,000 though.

- Going into reverse you don't even need to touch the gas. It's just a matter of slightly holding the clutch to back into a space. Potentially I shouldn't be dragging the clutch and just moderating the brake. But you definitely don't need to give it more gas.

- Shifts are short and notchy which is cool. I'm scared to death I'll be looking for 5th gear and find reverse instead though.

- Shifting with a water bottle in the cup holder requires you to position your arm appropriately. It'd be nice if the cup holder was recessed more, or just don't bring water bottles with you.

- A brown leather belt will leave brown markings on your white racing stripes on the seat! sad.gif I'm going to use some leather and then vinyl (if the leater doesn't work) cleaner and a microfiber cloth. Shirts will now be untucked or I'll be wearing a cloth belt.

- Window tint to help keep the black interior cooler is on order and I"m thinking about 35% all around but don't want it to be too dark (everyone still needs to see the lucky guy driving this car). So I may do 50%.

- The sync system is WAY COOL. The weather thing paid off on the drive home, knowing how close the huge storm was closing in on us.

- The sync notification that my phone is paired by 911 assist is not enabled is crazy annoying. I'm going to need to read on how to disable this.

Guys,

Quick but extremely important question. When I pulled into the garage tonight after taking the car to dinner with my wife I noticed an almost burning smell when we got in the garage. Not sure if it was just the engine being warm and the fact that there is new plastic under somewhere or if was the fact there was some warm tar stuck the tires from the patching going on our road (thank you the idiots who do that stuff and make a big mess).

But my internal fear was it was the clutch burning or smelling. There is ZERO smoke, but I'm clutch paranoid since it's my first manual transmission and I've read posts here lately about people burning their clutch. I have to moderate the clutch in and out two or three times while creeping slowly into my garage spot to keep the car from stalling in first and moving forward slowly. Could it be those three in and outs of the clutch that is burning the clutch and making the smell while I'm creeping in the garage?

Am I doing something wrong? I'd rather find out now then in 1,000 miles when something breaks.

Thank you!

EDIT: After reading a few online articles is sure sounds like the pulling into the garage and using the clutch to creep in and keep the car from stalling is burning the clutch. What is the better way to creep into something like a garage spot. I have to drive up a driveway that is relatively short, and moderately graded (not steep but no where near flat...you'll easily roll backwards in neutral) and then into the garage spot and stop right away.

Don't worry man, mine had the same smell the first few days of driving it. I think it is brakes, not clutch.

Just a quick word on the tint. I have a 35% tint on the back and quarter windows and 50% on the door windows. Not too dark at all. Be sure and check your state laws regarding how dark you can go though.

I also have a clear bra. No complaints at all.

Cool, any pictures? I cannot wait to drive it till I get home.

Alright, tonight I didn't even use the clutch coming into the garage and I still had the smell. So it has to be something else or it's residual clutch smell from the drive. Or it's not the clutch at all. I'm going to just ignore it for now as I have no idea what it could be.

Alright, tonight I didn't even use the clutch coming into the garage and I still had the smell. So it has to be something else or it's residual clutch smell from the drive. Or it's not the clutch at all. I'm going to just ignore it for now as I have no idea what it could be.

The burning smell is just simply body oil from people who assemble the car burning off. Mine did it for the first couple of rides.

The clear bra is definately the way to go. Be sure NOT to put the clear bra over the stripes. It will take the stripes off if you ever try to remove it in the future. I did the entire front of my car and up on the hood to the rear of the heat extractor and then the mirrors. My car is Sterling Gray and it is very hard to find the clear bra unless you are absolutely looking for it. My previous car was black and it was more discernable.

I agree with the problem on the cupholder. Anything that sticks out of it makes it difficult to shift. Not sure what they could have done differently. Bottom line is..............I bought the car to drive and shift so I'll just stop at more watering holes along the way and keep the drinks out of the car.

Here are some pictures of my car. The clear bra is installed: http://marblesmotors.com/GT5002011.htm

The burning smell is just simply body oil from people who assemble the car burning off. Mine did it for the first couple of rides.

The clear bra is definately the way to go. Be sure NOT to put the clear bra over the stripes. It will take the stripes off if you ever try to remove it in the future. I did the entire front of my car and up on the hood to the rear of the heat extractor and then the mirrors. My car is Sterling Gray and it is very hard to find the clear bra unless you are absolutely looking for it. My previous car was black and it was more discernable.

I agree with the problem on the cupholder. Anything that sticks out of it makes it difficult to shift. Not sure what they could have done differently. Bottom line is..............I bought the car to drive and shift so I'll just stop at more watering holes along the way and keep the drinks out of the car.

Here are some pictures of my car. The clear bra is installed: http://marblesmotors.com/GT5002011.htm

I was set on going that route, not putting clear bra on the stripes, but then I started worrying about all the edges of the clear bra on the front and how that stuff just sucks up dirt over time and becomes more pronounced (we have it on my black F150 and wife's white Altima). Then I also started worrying about chips in the vinyl strips and seeing the blue paint under the stripe as that would really stand out.

Now I'm on the fence as to which way to go.

Archived