TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Okay, is this too good to be true?

Son of GT

I ran across this clip at Youtube, and admittedly, I'm a bit dubious mainly because of the name of the website that posted this at Youtube (Gagfilms), but if it is true, it would be an amazing find. Maybe "Mythbusters" needs to look at this one...

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Here's another one. This one seems to make sense, moreso than the remote control deal, but who knows...?

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

I'll call B.S. on the first one, but the second one is true...Larger bikes can trigger the loops by stopping right on top of them, but smaller ones need some help and the magnets actually do work...

BTW, did anyone notice the two cars that would have "run the red light" crossing in front of the guy when he hit the button to get a green light??? Pretty dangerous stuff especially if you are not paying attention...Just because you get a green light instantly, doesn't mean that the other guys and gals can stop when they get a red light instantly!!!!

I ran across this clip at Youtube, and admittedly, I'm a bit dubious mainly because of the name of the website that posted this at Youtube (Gagfilms), but if it is true, it would be an amazing find. Maybe "Mythbusters" needs to look at this one...

I need to get me one of those remotes..... :happy feet: especially where I live and work...... :banghead:

I thought the Sensors on the Lights were for a Signal sent by the Emergency Vehicle Ocupants, not the Flashing Red Lights.

Not the emergency red lights, ussually a strobe or infrared type strobe on the light bar. Look up opticom. This is a manufacturer of pre empt device. Both the vehicle needs the transmitter and the traffic light needs the receiver. As far as loops, I thought they were on timers set by road & traffic personnel.

At the risk of being called a liar since I actually haven't tried it nor am I electrical engineer with any signal companies. I'll say no on the remote thing. First, in the video the traffic light changed too quickly. There are rules for the traffic lights and how they go through their signals. In particular, the length of the yellow must be a minimum amount of time. I believe in CA it is 2 or 2.5 seconds. Los Angeles lights are typically set at 3 seconds. In Los Angeles, they also have an overlap where all four directions are red. So as pointed out, when the light instantly turns green and the other two cars apparently run a red light, it seams that the signals didn't go through their process. Even if a certain municipality was using these system the lights would still go through their sequence, all be it a shorter green for the crossing traffic. The idea is for the police or fire to get through the intersection safer not be plowed into by a driver that wasn't given time to stop. Second, everything that transmits a signal has to be approved by the FCC. I seriously doubt that the FCC would allow not just one but "any" universal remote be capable of triggering the sensors.

The magnetic loops and attachments for motorcycles are typically legit. There are three basic variations for signal controlled intersections. 1) a timed intersections: all directions and signals durations are based on a time program. The length and timing may be programmed different for different times of the day. 2) a magnetic loop intersection: typically involves a major street/minor street intersection. The major will stay green until a vehicle triggers the magnetic loop on the minor. That will activate the signal process and eventually the major will get a yellow followed by a red. 3) a combination of the two: certain periods of the day the intersection will be timed the others it will operate by the loops.

Motorcycles do have trouble with the loops sometimes. My wife used to have a 250 Ninja. There will several times where I thought of getting off the thing and pushing the crosswalk button. But my 1500 Vulcan never had an issue.

From CRS 42-4-607

(B) No person shall possess or sell, without lawful authority, an electronic device that is designed to cause a traffic light to change. A person who violates any provision of this paragraph (B) commits a class B traffic infraction.

(2) (a) No person shall use an electronic device, without lawful authority, that causes a traffic light to change. Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (B) of this subsection (2), a person who violates any provision of this paragraph (a) commits a class A traffic infraction.

From CRS 42-4-607

(B) No person shall possess or sell, without lawful authority, an electronic device that is designed to cause a traffic light to change. A person who violates any provision of this paragraph (B) commits a class B traffic infraction.

(2) (a) No person shall use an electronic device, without lawful authority, that causes a traffic light to change. Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (B) of this subsection (2), a person who violates any provision of this paragraph (a) commits a class A traffic infraction.

Party pooper.

From CRS 42-4-607

well, obviously its against the law.....and the law itself provides a fair amount of proof that it certainly is possible either with this device or another........interesting.

From CRS 42-4-607

A good lawyer may conclude that this device was NOT designed to cause a traffic light to change, but rather to program TVs and DVD players to work together.........

a fine point, but then again...ambiguity thrives in the legal system......... :salute:

Archived