TEAM SHELBY FORUM

OK, I have had enough!

the gt 500 motor blows up at 7200 rpm period!!!

most tunes that you can get raise it to 66-6700 rpm

unless you have a KB or a big Whipple on your max hp and torque is gonna be about 5850 rpm,, everybody get your dyno sheets out and take a look at them,, before i went to the dyno i was shifting about 6500 rpm drag racin and i couldn't fiqure out why i was not running low 11's ,, well it was because i should have been shifting at 58-5900 rpm

the gt 500 motor blows up at 7200 rpm period!!!

most tunes that you can get raise it to 66-6700 rpm

unless you have a KB or a big Whipple on your max hp and torque is gonna be about 5850 rpm,, everybody get your dyno sheets out and take a look at them,, before i went to the dyno i was shifting about 6500 rpm drag racin and i couldn't fiqure out why i was not running low 11's ,, well it was because i should have been shifting at 58-5900 rpm

+1000

If youre trying to wring all the power out, dont wait until over 6000rpm to do it.

Let the power curve, gears, etc work for you.. SHIFT

The point of this whole thread was to find out if we can Gain at least 30-40hp from tuning the KR. If it was only 10hp then it's not worth it but from looking at peoples dyno sheets and talking to Evolution performance and John Lund it is worth it. Wherever the rev limiter is, the tune should help a little bit more.

The point of this whole thread was to find out if we can Gain at least 30-40hp from tuning the KR. If it was only 10hp then it's not worth it but from looking at peoples dyno sheets and talking to Evolution performance and John Lund it is worth it. Wherever the rev limiter is, the tune should help a little bit more.

As I wrote above, Evolution told me they do raise the rev limit and they change the wide open throttle position to truly give fully open instead of partially open as is stock programming. In other words a stock KR will never be allowed to reach full wide open position of the throttle plate but an Evolution tune will allow you to use true wide open throttlle when you floor it. They said it is very noticeable. He also said there is a significant but less noticeable increase from the higher rev limit. They quoted about 60hp increase at the wheels over a stock KR. I asked again, "are you sure that is 60 at the wheels and not gross hp" and he said, "It at the wheels."

ultimately to have 60 more hp at the wheels (means over 600 engine hp) and to have wide open throttle when my foot goes to the floor and to do all this without changing any hardware... Well, it was an easy choice and I ordered mine. I want to keep my KR unmodified. I think history has taught us not to modify a Shelby and since the 09 KR is the last pre-titled true Shelby (Shelby Assembled) I hope lots of people keep them original. It's only original once.

As I posted in the KR Tune thread. John Lund e-mailed me and what he says rebutts that theory but the only way we can tell is now that you have ordered the Tune you have to dyno it before and after to see if you really get 60! Lund, one of if not the best Mustang Tuner out there says differently. Do you plan on putting the Tune to the test or just taking his word for it? Heres what Lund had to say...

As for the 2009 GT500KR I have tuned numerous variation of them from Stock to 3.6KBs... In stock form the KR calibration is nothing more standard shelby OEM calibration with a CAI added and more agressive throttle calibration. Timing curve is mild and air fuel is mild. So like any Shelby with a CAI already on the car a more agressive timing curve and slight leaning of the air fuel will pickup some power. In your case not alot because you already have the advantage of the CAI. If it were mine I'd add a 2.6 upper pulley immediately and a tune with a little more Spark. Tune itself average would gain around 10-15 rwhp and 15-18 rwtq. Not much but a noticable improvement. The Pulley would add boost 2-3lbs and the gain would be around 20-25 rwhp and tq.

I have tuned a few hundred KRs and over 2000 Shelbys.... So its bascially already been done. And contratery to Forum Belief I can put a KR tune on any Shelby and do.... with different CAI or break the tune up and use certain portions. Again the KR uses its own calibration Strategy but its based off the OEM stock 2008 Shelby with roughly 30-35 changes for the KR... Not a big Deal..

Thanks

Jon L

As I wrote above, Evolution told me they do raise the rev limit and they change the wide open throttle position to truly give fully open instead of partially open as is stock programming. In other words a stock KR will never be allowed to reach full wide open position of the throttle plate but an Evolution tune will allow you to use true wide open throttlle when you floor it. They said it is very noticeable. He also said there is a significant but less noticeable increase from the higher rev limit. They quoted about 60hp increase at the wheels over a stock KR. I asked again, "are you sure that is 60 at the wheels and not gross hp" and he said, "It at the wheels."

ultimately to have 60 more hp at the wheels (means over 600 engine hp) and to have wide open throttle when my foot goes to the floor and to do all this without changing any hardware... Well, it was an easy choice and I ordered mine. I want to keep my KR unmodified. I think history has taught us not to modify a Shelby and since the 09 KR is the last pre-titled true Shelby (Shelby Assembled) I hope lots of people keep them original. It's only original once.

The 5.4 has 3.6" bore and 4.1" stroke. That kind of stroke length is old school big-block territory. Gobs of low-RPM torque. Stress on the rods on an engine with a longer stroke will be much more than an engine like the old Chevy 283's, Ford 351's (4" bore, 3.5" stroke) which could rev into the stratosphere (my 351C would rev to 8500rpm, I shifted at 7000+ regularly) and the 4.6 is actually more suited to be rev-happy (3.6 bore 3.6 stroke). Stress on the rods get exponentially greater as the revs go up. The 5.4 engine was taken from Ford's truck stock which were designed for more torque production at a lower RPM. We get much more HP and TQ with it, go with that. We don't need steep gears, big lopey cams or high RPMs to get big numbers and great 1/4 times. If you want to make very big power and rev your engine higher, upwards past 800+ HP, swap the stock rods (our achillies heel, good to about 650WHP) for some high-performance H-beam ones and then rev it up with 20+ lbs of boost. IMO with the stock rods you are asking for trouble if you want to rev it past 6500rpm.

Edit: You can change your rev limit with an aftermarket tuner.

Archived