TEAM SHELBY FORUM

trunk lock cap

07GTH371

SPP,

If you're listening, I need some help here! I called to order the trunk lock "Shelby GT" cap with the snake and I was told I could not. I was told that although the Shelby GT-H I own is in the registry, it was not built by Shelby. Obviously I was shocked at this and I asked who built my "Shelby" car and I was told it was built by Hertz. Somehow I maintained control after finding out I do not own a real Shelby and asked the young man to confirm this with a manager. To my surprise, I heard the supervisor confirming to the rep that my car was actually built by Hertz and I could not order the Shelby GT cap. Still maintaining my composure after this heartbreaking revelation, I asked what I could order for my fake Shelby and the young man offered me some floormats and a billet dress up kit.

My question, is my GT-H really inferior to the Shelby GT? (No need for a reply from the Grabber, White, and silver stripe crowd!) While I was in Tulsa last week, I was fairly sure that the two models were very similar! I understand that I can not get the "powered by Ford" badge just as I understand others can't get my Hertz badge. That makes sense, but the Shelby GT lock cap? Really? This seems a little strange as it was not OEM on either car!

Who did you have on the phone? Sounds like he is new and doesn't understand what a Shelby is.

I wish I had asked. It was a young man that answered. Today about 4:30 central and his supervisor was a female. As you can imagine, I was trying to remain nice and professional. If this rep had been in India, I would have gone berserk, but at least it would have explained the ignorance!

I guess I do have a rare car, how many people do you know that have a car BUILT by hertz with Shelby approved GT badging???

SPP,

If you're listening, I need some help here! I called to order the trunk lock "Shelby GT" cap with the snake and I was told I could not. I was told that although the Shelby GT-H I own is in the registry, it was not built by Shelby. Obviously I was shocked at this and I asked who built my "Shelby" car and I was told it was built by Hertz. Somehow I maintained control after finding out I do not own a real Shelby and asked the young man to confirm this with a manager. To my surprise, I heard the supervisor confirming to the rep that my car was actually built by Hertz and I could not order the Shelby GT cap. Still maintaining my composure after this heartbreaking revelation, I asked what I could order for my fake Shelby and the young man offered me some floormats and a billet dress up kit.

My question, is my GT-H really inferior to the Shelby GT? (No need for a reply from the Grabber, White, and silver stripe crowd!) While I was in Tulsa last week, I was fairly sure that the two models were very similar! I understand that I can not get the "powered by Ford" badge just as I understand others can't get my Hertz badge. That makes sense, but the Shelby GT lock cap? Really? This seems a little strange as it was not OEM on either car!

The Shelby GT-H was built by us here at SAI. It's a Friday, Robert and Sharon are gone and we have been having a drinking contest.... :beerchug: We do have some new staff here and are still training. However, he was correct about the GT trunk emblem. It is only available for a Shelby GT not a GT-H.

The Shelby GT-H was built by us here at SAI. It's a Friday, Robert and Sharon are gone and we have been having a drinking contest.... :beerchug: We do have some new staff here and are still training. However, he was correct about the GT trunk emblem. It is only available for a Shelby GT not a GT-H.

Kameron,

You need to throw me a bone here. We all agree that the Hertz is a Shelby GT (auto) with Hertz badging. What is the reasoning behind this? It's not like I'm trying to turn my KR into a S/GT or God forbid a factory mustang V6 into one.

I'm pretty loyal to you guys but I need an educated answer as to why this policy exists. These items are attainable elsewhere, I just prefer to pay the up-charge to stay with Shelby. The Shelby folks in Tulsa said there would be no problem with this and it would look good...

For the record, I wasn't the one who came up with this idea or even suggested it. It was Shelby folks. Don't lead me to water if I can't drink! I'm gullible damn it!

B

The GT-H isn't just a Shelby GT with Hertz badging. Technically, it's a completely different model and actually came before the SGT.

The SGT was only produced because of the huge public demand to be able to buy a Shelby Mustang, instead of just being able to rent them.

Obviously, they're very similar. But they're not the same car.

The Shelby GT faux gas cap emblem was created due to demand by the Shelby GT owners here that wanted something similar to what the GT500's came equipped with, instead of the 'GT' emblem that adorns every other typical Mustang GT from the factory. So since your car isn't technically a Shelby GT, it makes sense that you can't purchase the limited SGT faux gas cap emblems (just as any other Mustang, Shelby, Roush, etc owner can't, unless they own an SGT).

If I were a GT-H owner, I'd either request that Shelby produce a cap specific to the GT-H or I'd install the 'CS' logo'ed cap and call it a day. The SGT snake doesn't belong on a GT-H, just as a Hertz emblem doesn't belong on an SGT. Good luck.

The GT-H isn't just a Shelby GT with Hertz badging. Technically, it's a completely different model and actually came before the SGT.

The SGT was only produced because of the huge public demand to be able to buy a Shelby Mustang, instead of just being able to rent them.

The Shelby GT faux gas cap emblem was created due to demand by the Shelby GT owners here that wanted something similar to what the GT500's came equipped with, instead of the 'GT' emblem that adorns every other typical Mustang GT from the factory. So since your car isn't technically a Shelby GT, it makes sense that you can't purchase the limited SGT faux gas cap emblems (just as any other Mustang, Shelby, Roush, etc owner can't, unless they own an SGT).

If I were a GT-H owner, I'd either request that Shelby produce a cap specific to the GT-H or I'd install the 'CS' logo'ed cap and call it a day. The SGT snake doesn't belong on a GT-H, just as a Hertz emblem doesn't belong on an SGT. Good luck.

Kahmann,

I can understand most of your argument and I'm fine with it. I will suggest a solution for SPP, I have purchased a few items with GT-H and the snake in the middle (armrest, floormats, etc.) so we know the template exists. Why not do a run of 100 and let us fix our problem. The SGT guys didn't want the common gt symbol?? I've got the V6 pony emblem on my car! Now, I appreciate this pony symbol, I sure would like to have a cap with a little more "bite".

I'm sure that is something more than a few hertz owners will agree with. I am keeping all of my original parts for the future but the three things that bother me are the cap, spoiler, and wheels. These are all things I can change on a temporary basis and that is what I'm doing.

Would I like to see the GTH snake on the back to match the interior? Absolutely! Now it's Shelby's turn.

Roger, any thoughts???

Well stated Ken! +1000

Kahmann,

I can understand most of your argument and I'm fine with it. I will suggest a solution for SPP, I have purchased a few items with GT-H and the snake in the middle (armrest, floormats, etc.) so we know the template exists. Why not do a run of 100 and let us fix our problem. The SGT guys didn't want the common gt symbol?? I've got the V6 pony emblem on my car! Now, I appreciate this pony symbol, I sure would like to have a cap with a little more "bite".

I'm sure that is something more than a few hertz owners will agree with. I am keeping all of my original parts for the future but the three things that bother me are the cap, spoiler, and wheels. These are all things I can change on a temporary basis and that is what I'm doing.

Would I like to see the GTH snake on the back to match the interior? Absolutely! Now it's Shelby's turn.

Roger, any thoughts???

+1

I'm in if they are made!!!!

I guess I will take the extended silence as an unofficial "take a hike".

Robert and Sharon, I would love it if someone would review the possibility of adding the cap with the GT-H with a snake logo. I realize it has a low profit margin but it should be quick and cheap to produce as well.....

just my two cents....

Kahmann,

Roger, any thoughts???

It's a good idea and shouldn't be much trouble for Shelby to produce. I hope you guys get what you're after.

I guess I will take the extended silence as an unofficial "take a hike".

Robert and Sharon, I would love it if someone would review the possibility of adding the cap with the GT-H with a snake logo. I realize it has a low profit margin but it should be quick and cheap to produce as well.....

just my two cents....

Did care package arrive in mail, should be there any day? If applied right should give temporary relief with two aspirin.

Making what you are asking for is really no big deal. John aka mrfarmdog could do it. dance.gif

GG

...The SGT snake doesn't belong on a GT-H, just as a Hertz emblem doesn't belong on an SGT. Good luck.

Kahmann and myself will have to disagree on the Cobra emblem. You know I've got nothing but respect for you K-man, but I feel that the Cobra snake is a Shelby trademark, and, therefore, could go on any Shelby. I understand Ford technically bought the rights to the Cobra name several years later, but the original thought of using it on a performance car- whether a roadster or a modified Mustang- was Carroll Shelby's idea. So.... either the snake emblem or the CS overlay would look great.

I would like to find out who you spoke with about the Shelby GT-H not being finished here in Las Vegas. There might have been some confusion between the car being pre or post title - hence the Hertz comments.

It's correct that the Shelby GT badge is only available to Shelby GT owners - and we log every CSM number that we sell one for. We retain this information for historical/reference.

We've seen a lot of people adopt the "S-Snake" for both the Hertz and Shelby GT and while we've made some products available with it, there hasn't been a huge movement within Shelby to attach it to those products specifically. One of the main reasons for this is the fact that we receive quite a few complaints from purists as to why we make products with the "S-Snake" available for the Shelby GT since it's not factory correct/original. In reality, we don't actually sell that many S-Snake products or products using that logo in any significant quantity at all. . .but we get it. . .SGT owners have adopted the "S" as their logo and since the GT-H is its cousin, GT-H owners want it too.

We won't make the SGT faux emblem available to GT-H owners because it would clash - an SGT logo on a GT-H doesn't mesh. An SGT isn't a GT-H as a GT-H isn't an SGT. We would consider making a faux cap using the "S-Snake," however with GT-H text. You'd have something official and more accurate then.

Z3-2-14.jpg

Maybe we can make the "Shelby GT-H" text in gold, wrapped by a silver snake on a black background? You'd have something cool that would be GT-H brand specific then.

I would like to find out who you spoke with about the Shelby GT-H not being finished here in Las Vegas. There might have been some confusion between the car being pre or post title - hence the Hertz comments.

It's correct that the Shelby GT badge is only available to Shelby GT owners - and we log every CSM number that we sell one for. We retain this information for historical/reference.

We've seen a lot of people adopt the "S-Snake" for both the Hertz and Shelby GT and while we've made some products available with it, there hasn't been a huge movement within Shelby to attach it to those products specifically. One of the main reasons for this is the fact that we receive quite a few complaints from purists as to why we make products with the "S-Snake" available for the Shelby GT since it's not factory correct/original. In reality, we don't actually sell that many S-Snake products or products using that logo in any significant quantity at all. . .but we get it. . .SGT owners have adopted the "S" as their logo and since the GT-H is its cousin, GT-H owners want it too.

We won't make the SGT faux emblem available to GT-H owners because it would clash - an SGT logo on a GT-H doesn't mesh. An SGT isn't a GT-H as a GT-H isn't an SGT. We would consider making a faux cap using the "S-Snake," however with GT-H text. You'd have something official and more accurate then.

Z3-2-14.jpg

Maybe we can make the "Shelby GT-H" text in gold, wrapped by a silver snake on a black background? You'd have something cool that would be GT-H brand specific then.

Robert,

I wish I could tell you how many GT-H owners would want the cap but I really don't know. I have the arm rest you show in your reply and I really like it. Gary Disney does excellent work and was a pleasure to deal with ( I hope I got his name right, it's been a while), of course, I would love to order my matching headrests but that's another topic.

When I bought the car, I had no intention of changing anything but as you can see, that didn't happen. I started as a purist, now I'm tweaking a few things to my liking that can be returned to original if needed.

So, in the end, if you build it I will buy. I'm not sure what colors would be best, maybe all gold, but I'd love to see it.

As always, thanks for monitoring the site and posting a reply. It is always appreciated!

Now, did you sell those wheels or not????

Robert,

I wish I could tell you how many GT-H owners would want the cap but I really don't know. I have the arm rest you show in your reply and I really like it. Gary Disney does excellent work and was a pleasure to deal with ( I hope I got his name right, it's been a while), of course, I would love to order my matching headrests but that's another topic.

When I bought the car, I had no intention of changing anything but as you can see, that didn't happen. I started as a purist, now I'm tweaking a few things to my liking that can be returned to original if needed.

So, in the end, if you build it I will buy. I'm not sure what colors would be best, maybe all gold, but I'd love to see it.

As always, thanks for monitoring the site and posting a reply. It is always appreciated!

Now, did you sell those wheels or not????

Customizing your Shelby to suit your style is what gives is personality. We just have to make sure that from the Shelby side, we don't offer items that will degrade the brand and badging is a major point of contention with us.

I think offering an emblem as I described above wont' degrade the brand, however, I must ask my colleagues.

On the wheels, please remind me. . . :confused:

Customizing your Shelby to suit your style is what gives is personality. We just have to make sure that from the Shelby side, we don't offer items that will degrade the brand and badging is a major point of contention with us.

I think offering an emblem as I described above wont' degrade the brand, however, I must ask my colleagues.

On the wheels, please remind me. . . :confused:

Any luck on approval or is this a lengthy process? I have the console like you put in your reply so I would like to stay similar if that's an option.

Thanks,

Bryan

• 1 month later...

Alright guys, I've done a LOT of research on this and I can't believe Shelby wont sell these.

It looks like I can have them made for the faux trunk cap and the steering well between $25 and $45.

My point is this, a few shops have been scared out of making these items by Shelby. I have no problems with this and the legal reasons but couldn't the energy be used to have a vendor produce these so we can all be happy? Even with mark-ups I am sure there is money to be made and from my research, there is very little cost involved for set up.

My .02 for the week on this issue.

Archived