TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Signed Airbag Cover?

09KR0058

This is a bit off base, but wanted to say your red KR is very very nice. The airbag signature is a must. Good luck.

Appreciate the compliment! It still amazes me on how many compliments I get every time I take her out. And I'll never get used to all the people wanting to take pictures!

Can't wait to get that autograph! That will officially complete the bling phase of my KR. Well, except for those KR sill plates. (Hint Hint)

headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

Should I have him sign the top half or the bottom!?

Walls,

In the note I sent with the airbag cover, I left it up to Carroll to decide where to sign it. As you can see above, he signed the top half. With the dash overhang, this location will be more protected from the sun, and that's probably a good thing.

Walls,

In the note I sent with the airbag cover, I left it up to Carroll to decide where to sign it. As you can see above, he signed the top half. With the dash overhang, this location will be more protected from the sun, and that's probably a good thing.

Yeah, I was thinking that too......but if the airbag were to ever deploy...that overhang could damage the signature.

Ah well, I'm going with the top half. I just won't get into an accident :P Also, I see that y'all sent cameras with your package. Is that necessary? I guess I don't see the point with the certificate of authenticity?

Where ever he wants to sign it is fine with me!

This is some great information, up till I read this link I was thinking about how nice it would be to top off this car with his signature. Thanks for the great info, I too will start my process and will provide details as I get it done

thanks again

:shift:

Well, I got home yesterday afternoon and the UPS fairy had visited my house. Got my signed airbag cover!

I had already printed out the instructions from Grabber and the two PDF files, but I'm stuck. In Grabber's step 9, he ends with "Remove the airbag unit and put it in the other cover". The Ford instructions say "Carefully lift the passenger air bag module cover from the bottom of the air bag module canister, separating the windows from the canister hooks." Somehow, this just isn't sinking in to my thick skull. Here's two pictures, of the bottom and top of the canister module. I just can't figure out how to get those hooks to release from the cover without bending them, and I KNOW that's a big no-no!

What's the trick to get that sucker off?

AirbagCover1-1.jpg

AirbagCover2-1.jpg

Well, I got home yesterday afternoon and the UPS fairy had visited my house. Got my signed airbag cover!

I had already printed out the instructions from Grabber and the two PDF files, but I'm stuck. In Grabber's step 9, he ends with "Remove the airbag unit and put it in the other cover". The Ford instructions say "Carefully lift the passenger air bag module cover from the bottom of the air bag module canister, separating the windows from the canister hooks." Somehow, this just isn't sinking in to my thick skull. Here's two pictures, of the bottom and top of the canister module. I just can't figure out how to get those hooks to release from the cover without bending them, and I KNOW that's a big no-no!

What's the trick to get that sucker off?

AirbagCover1-1.jpg

AirbagCover2-1.jpg

Good looking signature. I had ford do mine. Sorry I can't help.

09KR0058,

Great looking signature! Congratulations, this will look awesome in your Torch Red (fastest color) "King". Post up a cabin picture once it's installed.

I just removed my airbag from the cover and was stuck at the same point. What the instructions don't say is push the airbag towards the cover. Once it is pushed forward The top set of hooks should come out of the cover. Once the top is out you can just slide the bottom hooks out.

To put the cover back on. Place the bottom hooks into the cover. Push the airbag towards the cover. Lightly pull the plastic window over the hooks.

Just did it last night so the steps are fresh in my mind still.

I just removed my airbag from the cover and was stuck at the same point. What the instructions don't say is push the airbag towards the cover. Once it is pushed forward The top set of hooks should come out of the cover. Once the top is out you can just slide the bottom hooks out.

To put the cover back on. Place the bottom hooks into the cover. Push the airbag towards the cover. Lightly pull the plastic window over the hooks.

Just did it last night so the steps are fresh in my mind still.

Thanks for the tip, but it finally hit me as I was dozing off last night. Holding the airbag cover in my left hand and the canister assembly in my right hand, I rotated the bottom of the canister away from the cover, while rotating the top towards it. 3 of the hooks from what would be the driver's side came down and away from those slots. The others were then close enough to lift the rubber off of them. The new one went in like a champ.

Signed.jpg

Great idea sending a camera with the cover guys - I'll do that when I send my original cover down to be signed. I've already sent a new one down & got it back a while ago;

airbagcover.jpg

certificate1.jpg

DSC02342.jpg

Almost forgot to mention a couple of issues I ran into with the airbag cover swap.

Per Grabber's recommendation, I disconnected both battery cables. Rather than pulling the fuse, this seemed like the safest way to do this and not risk the airbag deploying. Since I ran into the snag mentioned above, the battery was disconnected for about 36 hours. Once everything was put back together, before connecting the battery back up, I checked the owner's manual to see if this was covered. There is indeed a section about battery replacement.

When you put in a new battery, or otherwise have your's disconnected, the car needs to relearn its idle. I don't have the manual in front of me now, but it went something like this:

1) Start car and let idle until at normal operating temperature. When I first fired it up, the idle was at about 1500-1700 RPMs for about 30-45 seconds

2) Turn on A/C and let idle for at least a minute

3) Drive about 10 miles

After doing all that, the idle seems fine, just like it was before. I did almost crap-my-pants when I first started it and the idle was so high!

The manual also says that you will lose your radio presets. However, all my Sirius/AM/FM stations were still there.

The Express-Up on the passenger window was lost. Simple to fix. With door closed, roll it all the way up. Then all the way down, holding the switch. Bingo. Express-up worked again.

Finally, when I first started it back up, I got the TPMS Failure warning on the Info center. Once I got through with the idle-reset procedure and drove it a couple miles, that went away.

One thing I found that disturbs me. When I pulled the glove-box, I noticed there is a wrapped bundle of wires just to the right of the glove box that go through a rectangular hole in the frame. There is no rubber grommet on that hole, so the wire bundle will rub/vibrate against that bare (actually, painted) metal. I'll go back and take a picture to post here. I find it hard to believe that there is no protection for that wire bundle. Seems like there should be some kind of rubber grommet there. I'm already on a search to find something to rectify this. Has anyone else ever noticed this? Should there have actually been a grommet there that just wasn't installed on my car?

^^^ I looked back over the pics I took as I did my swap (the process was documented here already so didn't want to re-post something that had already been so well done). I can't see what you're referring to in my pics ( http://mustangcanada.com/forums/2005-2009-mustang/8459-passenger-airbag-cover-swap.html ) but maybe that's a difference between model years/type.

If the hole is big enough to get your hands in and work there I'd simply wrap your wiring with some tubing/wiring protector or place some rubber (a slit piece of washer tubing would work) around the edge of the opening.

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered my cover from Ford today, should be in soon, and then sending off for his signature… mail.gif

Package arrived today!!!!

Hopefully I will have time this weekend to install happy%20feet.gif Pictures will be taken while installing and of the finished project. If I do have time I think I will install my SS CF splitter and the Hide away tag holder, why not make it a whole weekend project.... MAN I LOVE THIS CAR drool.gif

• 2 years later...

So does one have to pull fuse 17 out of the SJB to remove the passanger airbag safely? Or does disconnecting the battery and than waiting for an hour suffice? I've read different things. I'm not sure why you would pull a fuse if the battery is disconnected....static charge or does it throw a code?

Archived