TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My apology to CudaFly

SGT/SC2873

well, I have been trying to decide whether or not to post up my drag times from Tulsa last Saturday and decided I would with an apology. I was disappointed in my times but might as well admit them. CudaFly was a great help along the way with his inspriation and I really thought I would of done better. I know for sure the driver needs some more time on the strip along w/ DR's. Also, I am going to look up the TSB that Rob posted on the tranny shifts. I plugged 3rd twice on the strip and 3 times on the speedway. Gates are really close in the shifter and I plan to see if this can be corrected. Nothing like going from second back to first! :redcard::banghead: Here are my times...oh, I did manage to win my first rouind elimination due to a breakout in the other lane. Guess if you can't be good, at least be lucky....Craig :hysterical:

1st run

r/t .697

60 2.178

1/8 8.949

mph 84.95

1000 11.420

1/4 13.490

2nd

r/t .592

60 2.166

1/8 8.930

mph 82.53

1000 11.423

1/4 13.625

mph 95.28 (thought I could get thru the trap in 3rd only...found out I needed 4th after all.....)

3rd

r/t .173

60 2.117

1/8 9.43

1000 12.310

1/4 14.658 (another missed 3rd)

mph 95.58

4th

r/t .533

60 2.354

1/8 9.183

mph 84.06

1000 11.7

1/4 13.793

mph 107.28 First round win

5th

r/t .548

60 2.176

1/8 9.551

mph 81.72

1000 12.091

1/4 14.211

mph 105.36 missed 3rd again!

lost in second round on this run. :rant2:

Edited by SGT/SC2873

Hey Craig they're not great times but not as bad as you might think either... Certainly no apology required, at least you gave it a shot.

1.) First few times at the track and the adrenilene is really pumping. Missed shifts are pretty common, I would not blame the shifter (yet). Once you miss a shift it's pretty much over so those runs don't really count. Another 15-20 passes and you will get the shifts down.

2.) Tulsa in June = Hot as hell - Probably in the mid-90's that day and maybe nice humid 80's at night. Cooler weather in the low 50's-low 60's will make you more HP and ~4-5 10ths faster with the 550 Whipple. My car runs mid 12's in the summer so I don't even bother going to the track anymore unless the daytime temps are no higher than low 70's.

3.) Your 60' times are killing you without drag tires. You could easily knock 3-4 10ths off your 60' time with real drag tires at about 15 psi and the right size wheel, non-stock LCA's, and a 5000 RPM launch. With all that RWHP and RWTQ I'd guess you are just spinning your wheels down the track. 3-4 10ths in the first 60 feet will = 5-6 10ths at the other end. http://www.brenspeed.com/silverdragpack.html

4.) Track conditions can be a significant factor, not sure how well they prep the track for track nights where you are but for street car nights they usually don't spend a lot of $'s prepping the track.

So seat time, drag tires, non-stock LCAs, cooler weather and you are proably looking at knocking off ~1.5 seconds. You have a low 12 second car for sure with a couple of fairly low cost modifications and practice.

Looking forward to seeing your timeslips in November!

Brian O'C

Certainly no apology required, at least you gave it a shot.

1.) First few times at the track and the adrenilene is really pumping.

Brian O'C

Ain't that the truth!

Still a LOT of fun, though, right?

I was either burning rubber through 1st, 2nd and 3rd, or lagging out (too low RPM) Still fun.

Dan

Youre not the first guy to think the car is capable of great ET's and then the track gives you a reality check. Ive been there way to many times . Get more seat time first, then find a day for good air, and finally drag radials. Learn how to drive the car first and then put on the drag radials. Alot of guys compensate for their lack of abiltiy, put on drag radials and think it will cure the issues the driver has. Ive got thirty two passes on my automatic car and Im still learnig what the car likes and doesnt like. I recommend going with a full tank of fuel to help with stock tire traction. As far as shifting to third, I used to find a quiet road and practice my 2-3 shift all the time or I would even sit in the car parked and practice. I owned a 07 GT/CS with a HURST and while it was notchy it can take a beating. Lastly DO NOT be afraid to do a dry burnout to put some heat in the street tires at the track. Check both side mirrors for a little smoke and roll to the line. Good luck.

Hey Craig they're not great times but not as bad as you might think either... Certainly no apology required, at least you gave it a shot.

1.) First few times at the track and the adrenilene is really pumping. Missed shifts are pretty common, I would not blame the shifter (yet). Once you miss a shift it's pretty much over so those runs don't really count. Another 15-20 passes and you will get the shifts down.

2.) Tulsa in June = Hot as hell - Probably in the mid-90's that day and maybe nice humid 80's at night. Cooler weather in the low 50's-low 60's will make you more HP and ~4-5 10ths faster with the 550 Whipple. My car runs mid 12's in the summer so I don't even bother going to the track anymore unless the daytime temps are no higher than low 70's.

3.) Your 60' times are killing you without drag tires. You could easily knock 3-4 10ths off your 60' time with real drag tires at about 15 psi and the right size wheel, non-stock LCA's, and a 5000 RPM launch. With all that RWHP and RWTQ I'd guess you are just spinning your wheels down the track. 3-4 10ths in the first 60 feet will = 5-6 10ths at the other end. http://www.brenspeed.com/silverdragpack.html

4.) Track conditions can be a significant factor, not sure how well they prep the track for track nights where you are but for street car nights they usually don't spend a lot of $'s prepping the track.

So seat time, drag tires, non-stock LCAs, cooler weather and you are proably looking at knocking off ~1.5 seconds. You have a low 12 second car for sure with a couple of fairly low cost modifications and practice.

Looking forward to seeing your timeslips in November!

Brian O'C

thanks for the info Brian. It was hot as hell closer to 100 degrees and no telling what the track temp was. I did notice a lot more tire spin after lunch time when the heat was almost unbearable. Overall, I thought the track conditions were good, but wth do I know :hysterical: I am going to watch for some dr's and will go w/ lca's and definitely need more seat time. Definitely need to work on my RT. You dead on w/ the adrenaline thing....every time I went up to stage I had a plan and then when the light started to drop I forgot my plan and dumped it...need to focus on me and the car and totally forget about the one in the other lane, which is easier said than done for me! :banghead: Craig

Youre not the first guy to think the car is capable of great ET's and then the track gives you a reality check. Ive been there way to many times . Get more seat time first, then find a day for good air, and finally drag radials. Learn how to drive the car first and then put on the drag radials. Alot of guys compensate for their lack of abiltiy, put on drag radials and think it will cure the issues the driver has. Ive got thirty two passes on my automatic car and Im still learnig what the car likes and doesnt like. I recommend going with a full tank of fuel to help with stock tire traction. As far as shifting to third, I used to find a quiet road and practice my 2-3 shift all the time or I would even sit in the car parked and practice. I owned a 07 GT/CS with a HURST and while it was notchy it can take a beating. Lastly DO NOT be afraid to do a dry burnout to put some heat in the street tires at the track. Check both side mirrors for a little smoke and roll to the line. Good luck.

thanks Showcar. I did have a full tank as all I could find in Tulsa was 91 octane so I topped off w/ about 7 gallons of 104 at the track. I agree the seat time is the most important part of what I need to do now. My problem w/ the shifter didn't show up until then and believe me I have shifted this thing hard on little bursts here and there and have never had it do this. Could of been nerves but seems like the gate is so marginal and once you miss, shifter struggles to go in any gear. That's what is fun about these cars is getting somewhere, i.e. track that you can run them hard and see what they are capable of. Even w/ all this I still had a blast and can't wait for my next trip to the track. Craig

Ain't that the truth!

Still a LOT of fun, though, right?

I was either burning rubber through 1st, 2nd and 3rd, or lagging out (too low RPM) Still fun.

Dan

yep! Someone once said that no matter how much hsp you have, you will want more.....not me........yeah right....at the end of the day I was already thinking........... :happy feet:

ROFL. There was no need to. I was spinning like crazy too. That heat just made the track too slippery.

j/k...actually I didn't see your post until I was back home and po'd that we didn't meet. I was trying to drink as much water during the day and *%$$FDHDW at nite just to stay hydrated. Look forward to meeting you on the next road trip. Craig

Just think, no matter what the times were, you didn't shred a blower belt. Plus the car looked great running down the track.

Chris

Which makes me want to ask you guys that run the track. How heavy are you shifting? What I mean is, are you running all the way up to redline (or close) and power shifting, or are you shifting it fairly easy and easing back into the throttle? The reason I ask is if I run mine hard and shift quick at close to redline I have to pull over and yank the torn belt out and replace it before continuing.. I would hate to get up beside a new Camaro only to shred yet another belt. I plan on taking it to the track in the new future and I have two more belts on order. I'm thinking about buying them by the case!

Doug, I was shifting pretty hard on it and do every chance I can get away with it. Several runs I did power shift w/ no problems other than wheel spin. I do plan to chage out stock tensior to a thumper R due to posts I have read about flex and all but then I just noticed you are already running the thumper and shredding belts! Are you sure that every thing is lined up properly? Just asking as a lot of folks have gone w/ the thumper to keep the belts on....now you got me wondering :headscratch: Craig

• 2 weeks later...

If you are running stock tires (size) traction as you noticed was your biggest enemy.

The 285 Nittos 555's (street not DR) made a huge difference in getting the car to hook better. Stay away from the water box and don't heat the tires much. Spin them to clean them off and then line up. I don't have a line lock so I use the "E" brake to hold the car on the line and then I drop it when it is time to go. I launch on street tires at 2500 rpm to get the car rolling and then get on it. I usually have to pedal the car in 2nd a bit to get it to hook back up. My best 60' time is a 1.91 but I ended up running a 12.4. I always run it to about 6500 rpm prior to shifting and I hit 4th with the 3.73s.

Most important question is: Are you having fun?