TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why to use a Shelby Dual Fan Heat Exchanger

Revan Racing

One of the first units to be installed was a proto-type unit we installed on the car I am currently driving. We began with the unit designed for the 5.4L engine. First the brackets for the radiator needed to be moved approx. 1" lower for the expansion tanks to fit and locate properly under the hood. This is specific to the 4.6L engine and the Whipple SC. With the KB there is a reverse location on the cold air intake and the bracket for the power steering does not require relocation.

At the time we also were including the power steering reservoir as part of the tank kit. Early design had a couple of engineering flaws and this needed to be relocated on the driver fender well with a custom bracket. All were corrected. I do not recall if we are still including this piece in the kits or not. This you would need to check with SPP Representatives.

On installation and potential interference, the car was originally equipped with first generation brake cooling ducts. These were manufactured in the speed shop and custom fitted to each vehicle. We found that with the brake duct or driving lights and not the combination of both there were few obstacles in fitting the Heat Exchanger for the Supercharger. It will not fit with both, driving lights and brake duct combination kits, installed without major modification.

Hope this provides a little background into the initial development of the product.

Roger

• 1 year later...

I guess i'm bringing back an old one here...

I just got my GT/SC conversion and i had the upgraded FRPP radiator installed. What would be the next best mod (or combination of parts) to combat the heat soak? Heat exchanger? Upgraded tanks? I'm not sure which way i want to go from here.

I have the Shelby/C&R radiator and HE on my GT/SC, and have NEVER had a heat soak issue, even after flogging the car on-track at the recent Shelby Vegas Bash, AND driving the car pretty hard in the desert this past (hot) summer. Very impressed. I also have upgraded tanks, which I'm sure don't hurt!

Jer

• 3 weeks later...

1. Does the heat exchanger conflict with any other items or accessories, for example, brake cooling duct installations?

2. How long should it take the shadetree mechanic to install?

3. What does the finish install look like, i.e., do the SHELBY letters show up at the lower grille area or where?

I just had SA install my Revan heat exchanger in Las Vegas. Prior to my car going to SA, I checked locally with a couple of speed shops and was quoted from $150 to $200 for the install. Since my car was going back to SA, I had the install done there. The install instructions are pretty straight forward, and a "shade tree mechanic" should not have any problems installing it.

The heat exchanger does interfere with the front brake ducts, if you have them installed, but from what I know, the ducts can be modified to make them work. ( I do not have the front brake ducts.)

The Revan exchanger is very well made and is paint-stamped "SHELBY" across the front which is visible through the lower grill opening.

I did not install the larger radiator or tanks on my car.

Hope this info helps.

Well I am out on the heat exchanger. I do have the original ducts . I am glad I found out about this before I started tearing into this project. No matter what simple strait forward project I do, It always ends up being a royal pain int he assphalt.

Oh by the way I have a new in the box heat exchanger never even opened with the shelby logo for sale.

Archived