TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Another one gone AND A WARNING

The wife-n-I were on our way to the TS Mid-America event and just about made it...just 6 hrs or so shy.

We were heading through Kansas with the wife at the wheel and me taking a snooze. Late afternoon on Tue with beautiful weather something went amiss. We still aren't sure what exactly happened. What the road shows, what the damage shows, what we both witnessed, and what the others involved witnessed don't add up.

Amazing but true...miracles still happen. I should be dead and my wife seriously injured. We both walked away. The car is totaled and should look a whole lot different than it does. Now comes the fun of figuring out what's going to happen with insurance and if I want to retain the car.

The WARNING I wanted to mention is that NONE of the AIRBAGS DEPLOYED. I don't know how the front of the car could sustain that much damage without deploying an airbag. We also spun into the accident and away from the impact with the semi...again not sure if the computer tracks movement, but with the traction control activated I would think it would do something if it sensed something was wildly out of control. Is this a defect or did I just not trip the right sensors?

I'm down, but not out. Once the dust settles I hope to start all over again. Next time I just might disgrace a KR instead of just a regular 500.

If you want to really miss the 500...try driving a '10 Toy Corolla 2000+ miles. No guts, bland, must think ahead to pass, but you get 33 mpg.

Here's the journey of the car from new, to modified, to dead.

What a ride :)

HPIM0871_a.jpg

HPIM1652_a.jpg

HPIM1657_a.jpg

HPIM1658_a.jpg

HPIM0871_a.jpg

HPIM1652_a.jpg

HPIM1657_a.jpg

HPIM1658_a.jpg

The wife-n-I were on our way to the TS Mid-America event and just about made it...just 6 hrs or so shy.

We were heading through Kansas with the wife at the wheel and me taking a snooze. Late afternoon on Tue with beautiful weather something went amiss. We still aren't sure what exactly happened. What the road shows, what the damage shows, what we both witnessed, and what the others involved witnessed don't add up.

Amazing but true...miracles still happen. I should be dead and my wife seriously injured. We both walked away. The car is totaled and should look a whole lot different than it does. Now comes the fun of figuring out what's going to happen with insurance and if I want to retain the car.

The WARNING I wanted to mention is that NONE of the AIRBAGS DEPLOYED. I don't know how the front of the car could sustain that much damage without deploying an airbag. We also spun into the accident and away from the impact with the semi...again not sure if the computer tracks movement, but with the traction control activated I would think it would do something if it sensed something was wildly out of control. Is this a defect or did I just not trip the right sensors?

I'm down, but not out. Once the dust settles I hope to start all over again. Next time I just might disgrace a KR instead of just a regular 500.

If you want to really miss the 500...try driving a '10 Toy Corolla 2000+ miles. No guts, bland, must think ahead to pass, but you get 33 mpg.

Here's the journey of the car from new, to modified, to dead.

What a ride :)

Man that too bad..I'm just happy everyone is OK . The car can be replaced!!

Aw jeez Aaron, I'm glad to hear that everyone is ok. You sure dodged one there.

I hope you do all right with your insurance company and don't get hurt too bad there. Maybe a 2011 PP in your future?

Tob

Will air bags deploy if you are sliding sideways and clip off the front or rear end? Or does it take a full frontal or side impact in the door? You see damage like that and you would immediately think that the airbags would have deployed.

Great that no one was seriously injured.

GLAD TO HEAR YOUR BOTH OK. :salute:

IT IS POSSIBLE FOR THE AIR BAG NOT DEPLOY IF IT DOES NOT

MAKE DIRECT FRONTAL IMPACT AND FROM THE LOOKS OF YOUR

DAMAGE ; WITH KNOWING THE FACTS ; IT APPEARS YOUR CARS

NOISE DIPPED DOWNWARD POSSIBLE UNDER BRAKING AND

GOT BELOW THE BUMPER OF A BIGGER VEHICLE OR 18 WHEELER.

GLAD YOU GUYS ARE NOT SERIOUSLY HURT.

SCOTTY

Glad every one is ok

You need to have a frontal impact for air bags to deploy and you have to sit up straight, feet on the dashboard, setting you seat too close to the steering wheel... air bag can actuality hurt you . Air bag is not a soft pillow that you lay you head on in an accident, they cause very bad injuries and they are for situations that you have to choose between bad and worse. Had they deployed you would have walked away with a bruise on your face or maybe worse.

Sad about the car glad everyone is OK!!

I was talking with a 500 owner who hit a bear head on. bear OK, car did not do well. His air bags did not deploy either. The crash in battle ground last month; the air bags did not deploy either. by the looks of the cars you would have thought they would have gone off. :headscratch:

Thank God you are both OK...That 5000 lb car is tough and protects those inside who love it.

I got into a spin with my wife's Impala two years ago, and the airbags deployed. It ruptured three disks in my cervical spine, one seriously. I suffer from numb painful hands and arms as well as migraine headaches.

I have repaired many cars that the air bags have not deployed. Most were skidding and the brunt of the impact was above the actual bumper and locations of the sensors. Looking at yours I am surprised yours didn't go off. I would have thought there was substantial impact to deploy them. Glad your OK.

Archived