TEAM SHELBY FORUM

collector cars

Talking with a few guys who have a lot of history in the collector car world seem to feel that someday when Mr. Shelby passes (hopefully not for many years) that our Shelby,s are going to be the one,s that really increase in value. First years of the new generation. 2010 body style is just not right and Mr Shelby really did not have any additional input. Our body style will never be produced again where the newer style will be in producton for many years. 2010 may have improvements over ours but in the collector car would that does not seem to have much bearing. Time will tell. Bought mine to drive and maybe someday will get an added bonus.

I still think some folks are making way too much ado over the "limited" production of our cars. Consider the percentage of the cars produced, even Mustangs produced, and it's still a relatively small number. Consider the number you see on the street. I've already seen at least 10 times more Challenger SRT/8's and Camaro SS than any current Shelby rendition.......I hit a cruise in last Saturday night--there was 2 Roush Mustangs and a fox body GT 350 (what year was that?) as well as another couple of really nice, dressed up Mustangs, 2 Vipers, half a dozen late model Vettes and I had the only Shelby on the lot. Rare car, in spite of the production numbers.

My $.02 worth!

Ya know he is right. I'll sacrifice my baby for a measley $100K just right now. Whaya say ? 07, first of breed, sexiest color, fully loaded, low CSM #....It's a STEAL!

Hold up! Forgot the most important thing...ORIGINAL HOOD SCOOP!!!!!!! YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

From what see I don't agree the the op's reasoning. If you look at what is really collectible in the muscle car world, it's usually the cars with a very special motor or drive train. Just because it's the first year or rare doesn't alway make it worth much ,but most of the time the car with the big ass motor or special package is the one people want. I don't really think the early GT500 are going to be where it's at just for the fact that they really pale in comparison to the 2010' and now 2011's. I think if anything the 2011 will be the sought after one down the road due the much improved handling and first time aluminum motor. As far as the looks that's really personal and subjective. Most of my friends and family like the look of the 2010 better when taking about the GT500.

From what see I don't agree the the op's reasoning. If you look at what is really collectible in the muscle car world, it's usually the cars with a very special motor or drive train. Just because it's the first year or rare doesn't alway make it worth much ,but most of the time the car with the big ass motor or special package is the one people want. I don't really think the early GT500 are going to be where it's at just for the fact that they really pale in comparison to the 2010' and now 2011's. I think if anything the 2011 will be the sought after one down the road due the much improved handling and first time aluminum motor. As far as the looks that's really personal and subjective. Most of my friends and family like the look of the 2010 better when taking about the GT500.

Exactly The cars with the big engines and or limited packages ( 1 of 200, etc...) are the cars that truly become top dollar cars. That said though a bone stock original mint condition survivor '07 Shelby will probably be worth a small fortune in 50 years or so.

I have owned my GT500 for 2 months, and have put about 1500 miles on it, driving all around the San Francisco bay metropolitan area, including 3 trips to San Francisco.

I have seen only one other GT500 in all that time, a 4 second drive by and wave. Maybe they aren't rare, but they sure aren't plentiful.

The "LIMITED PRODUCTION" makes them "HIGHLY COLLECTABLE"????? :hysterical:

A car does NOT need to be limited to be collectable.

For instance, 1965 Corvette Stingray, total built, just in one year, 1965 = 23562 units...yet look at their prices!

Want to talk Fords, how many 64.5-66 mustangs did they build, over ONE MILLION, and they are very collectable

Re: some of the other posts, I rarely, and I mean rarely see a Shelby on the street, but in the small town i live in, I see 3 or 4 Camaros with regularity. so yes the Shelby is a rare car by comparison to other cars built.

The "LIMITED PRODUCTION" makes them "HIGHLY COLLECTABLE"????? :hysterical:

I may not be the production numbers that keep it from being highly collectable.

Maybe it,s the wonderful vinyl stripes that wont last 20 years, Or maybe its the orange rust that will make the rear end fall apart ,Or maybe it,s the wheel hop that will break the rear end. The fly wheel and clutch should be a big bonus. The CB style antena should be a big plus.as well. The very nice black plastic side mirrors should hold up o.k. along with the plastic interior, as plastic does not break down easily. Wow if you take the MSRP and ADM not much chance to even break even. Well I guess I will just keep driving it .Keeping reading the good info on this site, and buy BP stock to really make money as they are on my gas cap so it should be good.

Maybe it,s the wonderful vinyl stripes that wont last 20 years, Or maybe its the orange rust that will make the rear end fall apart ,Or maybe it,s the wheel hop that will break the rear end. The fly wheel and clutch should be a big bonus. The CB style antena should be a big plus.as well. The very nice black plastic side mirrors should hold up o.k. along with the plastic interior, as plastic does not break down easily. Wow if you take the MSRP and ADM not much chance to even break even. Well I guess I will just keep driving it .Keeping reading the good info on this site, and buy BP stock to really make money as they are on my gas cap so it should be good.

Why sugar coat it? Tell him how you REALLY feel!hysterical.gif

Mine doesn't have stripes so I am good to go. CB antenna has been removed and put into secure storage, since I don't want some poser stealing it while parked. I put a shorty on. It was very expensive at $15, but I think worth it, so I can take it original for value someday. Not too worried about that surface rust on the back. Pretty sure that would take at least 100 years to actually eat thru any of the metal back there. Not sure about the plastic. I am pretty sure that stuff is going to out live me, but not sure. I don't think this is the same plastic they used in the early 70's that cracked, etc... I already made enough money on Ford stock the last 2 years, I don't need to mess with BP, so thanks for the tip, but, I think I am good to go on this one, too. Ever notice how the MSRP keps climbing. Some new verts are listing over $60K. Sure they have the SVT option, but who cares. It is still the new MSRP that has risen, and has a real and significant effect of holding current values up.

Well i have had my 07 GT500 for about 6 months now, and have yet to see another one in the Middle TN area..... Mine is a daily driver and i have put almost 8k miles on it. So in my area they seem to be "rare" at least as far as people driving them goes. As far as being a collectors item, i highly doubt i will see the day that this car is worth tons of $$$$, but i honestly could care less because it is a blast to drive and i didnt not buy to sit in a garage in hopes of someday i would make tons of money off of it.

I just can't help chiming in again on this one......"collectability" is in the eyes of the collector. Think the vinyl stripes on that god-awful plastic covered foam dash from the 70's actually survived to today to be collectable? I saw a guy pay $500 for a Dale Earnhart matchbox car. I had one in my pocket just like it, only played with by my sons, that wouldn't have gone for 50 cents. That's what my GT 500 will look like in 20-30-50 years, played with! I'm going to romp and stomp and have a blast with it. I didn't buy it to collect (or to collect dust). It will be worth more to my sons than anyone and I suspect they'll fight over it if I'm not buried in it!

Well i have had my 07 GT500 for about 6 months now, and have yet to see another one in the Middle TN area..... Mine is a daily driver and i have put almost 8k miles on it. So in my area they seem to be "rare" at least as far as people driving them goes. As far as being a collectors item, i highly doubt i will see the day that this car is worth tons of $$, but i honestly could care less because it is a blast to drive and i didnt not buy to sit in a garage in hopes of someday i would make tons of money off of it.

Hey man, where in mid-TN? We're just across the border in big ol' hoptown!

Hey, Everyone , I wanted to add my 2 cents in on this! I recenlty took my car to the goodguys car show in pleasaton. I could not beleive the response I got on my car. All day none stop talking and people taking pictures of the car! I even had people wishing they could get one! To me I feel very lucky to be a part of the GT500 Group. I know I only have a 2008 that I bought practically brand new in almost 2009 off a show room floor! I also jut start driving her to work deciding why save this car and enjoy it. People give thumbs up and even just want to talk about it having me role my window down. So my point being if they are not a piece of american history in the mustang era in the s197 line. Then hate to tell you they all will be worth something after about 25 to 30 years!

Also i have just bought GT500CLUB.COM GT500CLUB.NET & GT500CLUB.ORG as in the coming year will be launching a Club website for everyone to network and join the largest 2007 to 20?? club website. The first chapter will be started in the San francisco bay area~~~

thank you everyone!!!

thoses interested please PM me on here, will be starting an adult club , no kiddy racing, just meetups, lunch,shows, traveling, you name it and good car talk and more!!!! :shift:

coming website sometime 2011

Hey man I am in Nashville, on the east side of town in the Donelson/Hermitage area, near Opryland Hotel.

Very cool, may have to get together and have our own little 2 car rally.......maybe we could float in to the Opryland Hotel! What's the word on getting all that and the mall cleaned up?

Around town, I see very few Shelby's of any variety, GT's, GT 500's, Super Snakes or KR's.

Don't see too many at the local car shows or the track.

Only 3 or 4 in the local Mustang Club.

Future value will be determined at a much later date.

Drive it, maintain it, tastefully mod it, and just flat out enjoy it in whatever way you feel the need to. :shift:

When my crystal ball comes back online, I'll let you all know what these cars will be worth in the future.

Just don't hold your breath waiting. :happy feet:

Argh, not another collector car discussion. Enjoy it! You never know what will happen tomorrow.

BTW, every Mustang owner has their favorite generation, but the S197 is a winner. Once Ford changes the Mustang to the new global car they're planning on- people will begin to hold on and/or buy the 05-09 S197. I'm sure people back in 65 wished they had held onto them. To me, that's how the S197 is.

I have NEVER seen a KR on the road, i think one @ a car show in the past 3 years. I think the KR will be collector car because of several reasons but if not so what. It's a ball to drive and the sounds are just great.

Very cool, may have to get together and have our own little 2 car rally.......maybe we could float in to the Opryland Hotel! What's the word on getting all that and the mall cleaned up?

That sounds like a good idea, we should definitely meet up. :shift:

Opryland Hotel and Opry Mills (the Mall) is suppose to open in late October to mid-November. But they still have a ton of work to do. Anyways if you want to meet up just send me a PM.

• 3 weeks later...

The FOX GT350 was a 1984 model. I believe it was another Ford built Shelby; using some of Carroll Shelby's ideas.

It was an 1984 1/2 model. This was Ford's attempt at a 20th Anniversary Model for the Mustang. It was a paint/decal package. Offered on conv and hatchback, turbo 4 cylinder or V8, auto or manual trannies. No performance over a normal GT of that year.

Shelby had no input and it did not have "Shelby" anywhere on it. Just the "GT350" designation.

Tom

EXACTLY!!!!! W T F? How on earth did the BP logo end up on our gas caps?????????????

Can someone at FORD please tell us how that wonderful advertisement occured? !

Archived