TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Light Bar on 2011 Convertible

Ezareth

Looks good, hows the headroom?

If you are sitting in the back you have to duck under it when sitting there, but considering you're also a double-leg amputee you've got more important problems.

As soon as SMS Superparts (The new Saleen parts site) comes online in another month I'm going to buy the tonneau cover that comes with it to cover the rear two seats and block the majority of the backdraft wind hitting the driver and passenger.

I'll also mention I got the mod for $429.00 ($465 shipped) and it's the same bar Shelby puts on his convertibles as well.

Looks sweet, CDC did a good job on the design goes well with the styling of the car and the texture/color looks like a good match.

Two things I'm curious about.

1. What's the view like during the rear view mirror, from one angle it looks as though the bar is right in your sight line.

2. Did you decide on installing a toggle switch to turn off the the brake light on the bar when the top is up? I had a buddy with a 99 who installed the bar and didn't install the switch, at night with the top up it was like Las Vegas :hysterical:

Spent two hours and a six pack with my neighbor installing it over the weekend.

Great option for those who don't plan on tracking their GT500 convertibles and has a functional break light.

Wow that looks awesome. I ordered a white svt vert and never even thought of installing a light bar until I saw yours. Looks awesome, any special tools needed?

Spent two hours and a six pack with my neighbor installing it over the weekend.

Great option for those who don't plan on tracking their GT500 convertibles and has a functional break light.

Looks great, already thinking about it, now its a must have!!

1. How is the wind turbulence and noise at speed?

2. How intrusivise is the feel and view with the seat all they way back?

3. How much of a Pain was the install; hardware, electrical, drilling, etc? 2 hrs seems quick

IMO The best mod for a vert. Excellent pics

I just put the CDC light bar in my 2011 vert this weekend also. I will tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is soooooo much easier to install than the previous versions. I have probably installed 30-40 of them over the years.

Secondly...............while the light bar is really cool.........the windscreen that CDC sells is the Bomb. It gets rid of most of the turbulance. It folds down if you don't want it and it comes out with the flip of a couple of clips and has a storage bag for in the trunk. I had a tonneau on a previous generation stang and it didn't do anything for the turbulence.

I'm going to try to get pictures of the installed parts tonight or in the morning. Right now it is Africa Hot in Texas.

Another 2 mods I did from CDC....... The dead pedal that matches the stock Ford pedals really is nice.

Installed the hood struts to eliminate the prop rod. Measured the before and after and it raises the hood an additional 6.5 inches in the arc. Plus, when your buddies are taking pictures of your new aluminum block supercharged engine, the prop rod doesn't get in the picture.

George Huisman at CDC does an incredible job creating parts for these cars.

I also put my car on the open track at Hallett Oklahoma last week and man is it capable. I've done nothing to the suspension or power output and it stuck like glue and went like stink.

I guess you would say I'm one happy GT500 owner.

Looks sweet, CDC did a good job on the design goes well with the styling of the car and the texture/color looks like a good match.

Two things I'm curious about.

1. What's the view like during the rear view mirror, from one angle it looks as though the bar is right in your sight line.

2. Did you decide on installing a toggle switch to turn off the the brake light on the bar when the top is up? I had a buddy with a 99 who installed the bar and didn't install the switch, at night with the top up it was like Las Vegas :hysterical:

You see the bar at the top of your rear view but only at the height you'd see helicopters so unless you stole your GT500, no worries there ( =

The toggle switch was only necessary due to the specific wiring of the 99-04 models. The 05-11 Light bars don't need the switch although they say the 10-11s will light up at 10% power with the top up. I haven't noticed it myself.

Wow that looks awesome. I ordered a white svt vert and never even thought of installing a light bar until I saw yours. Looks awesome, any special tools needed?

It says you want a Fork Tool, Wire Crimper etc which I found to be useless on both. You need a couple of Allen Keys, a Torx Bit, and a few metal drill bits. I bought a 2 inch hole saw bit which was a complete waste since I could have used my largest drill bit on the hole in the trim panel and then just filed it out to the desired size. The 2 inch hole saw it says to use is about 1/2 an inch too big, but it doesn't matter since bar overlaps all the holes by such a wide margin you can't see the hole anyways.

Looks great, already thinking about it, now its a must have!!

1. How is the wind turbulence and noise at speed?

2. How intrusivise is the feel and view with the seat all they way back?

3. How much of a Pain was the install; hardware, electrical, drilling, etc? 2 hrs seems quick

IMO The best mod for a vert. Excellent pics

Turbulence isn't any more or less. I will say when driving in rain(from my experience on my 99 speedster) with the top down rain will reflect from it onto your head but that's a non issue since you can always put your top up unlike me on that car.

You cant see it with the seat all the way back unless you are sleeping in the car or someone is riding you in it ^^ ....in that case she can use it to hold onto haha. The top goes over it without a hitch although you have to put on 2 little velcro piece to keep a portion of it from rubbing on the bar.

2 hours was insanely quick, and we could have got it done quicker sans the beer and BSing. I'd imagine 2 guys who have done it before could have it done in a little under an hour. The rear seats and quarter panels all pop out without tools with the exception of 2 bolts on the top of the rear seats. The electrical work was mostly checking and double checking wire colors since I was afraid of a change in the '11 wiring. It takes all of 5 minutes to wire this thing into your lights and throw some electrical tape around everything.

If you are sitting in the back you have to duck under it when sitting there, but considering you're also a double-leg amputee you've got more important problems.

As soon as SMS Superparts (The new Saleen parts site) comes online in another month I'm going to buy the tonneau cover that comes with it to cover the rear two seats and block the majority of the backdraft wind hitting the driver and passenger.

I'll also mention I got the mod for $429.00 ($465 shipped) and it's the same bar Shelby puts on his convertibles as well.

Can't wait to see it with the speedster cover!!!

Got the car out with some decent light and took pictures of the mods.

1) CDC Light Bar

2) CDC Wind Screen

3) CDC Dead Pedal (no picture yet)

4) CDC Hood Struts

5) Radar detector mount & wiring

6) Clear Bra

Next up........this weekend..................Baer 14" Extreme Plus Brakes F&R

Link to Pictures: http://marblesmotors.com/GT5002011.htm

Got the car out with some decent light and took pictures of the mods.

1) CDC Light Bar

2) CDC Wind Screen

3) CDC Dead Pedal (no picture yet)

4) CDC Hood Struts

5) Radar detector mount & wiring

6) Clear Bra

Next up........this weekend..................Baer 14" Extreme Plus Brakes F&R

Link to Pictures: http://marblesmotors.com/GT5002011.htm

Randy,

Can I ask where you got that mount for you V1 radar detector? I'm wanting to do the exact same thing. Also, any tips on the power and ground wires?

Did you do the 3M clear bra and what parts did you have it applied to? I cannot even see the lines in the pictures.

Randy,

Can I ask where you got that mount for you V1 radar detector? I'm wanting to do the exact same thing. Also, any tips on the power and ground wires?

Did you do the 3M clear bra and what parts did you have it applied to? I cannot even see the lines in the pictures.

The radar detector mounts were actually made originally for a 350Z and they have expanded their line. I had this mount in my 2008 Saleen Supercharged F-150 and it wouldn't work. The angle of the windshield is pretty critical. You can probably see in the picture that I have a makeshift wedge to get the angle of the detector correct. Just be sure to measure the diameter of the stem of the mirror mount and order one from here: http://www.countryjoycrafts.com/ConnectorForRadarDetector.htm

As for the wiring................I don't remember the colors that I tapped into, but with a VOMeter, it is really easy. The power I went for is the same as when it turns off the radio etc.............in other words, it is the 'run-on' power. You can take the key out and as long as you don't open the door, the detector stays on with the radio. It comes on in the accessory position of the key switch.

As for the clear bra............... The material is called Venture Shield. A local place here in the Dallas Texas area installed it. They had also done the same for my '08 Z06 which was black. The color of the car will depict how much it will blend in. Silver hides it the best. White/Black are the worst. Here is a link to pictures of my Z06 which also had it on it: http://marblesmotors.com/Z062008.htm

Hope this helps.

The radar detector mounts were actually made originally for a 350Z and they have expanded their line. I had this mount in my 2008 Saleen Supercharged F-150 and it wouldn't work. The angle of the windshield is pretty critical. You can probably see in the picture that I have a makeshift wedge to get the angle of the detector correct. Just be sure to measure the diameter of the stem of the mirror mount and order one from here: http://www.countryjoycrafts.com/ConnectorForRadarDetector.htm

As for the wiring................I don't remember the colors that I tapped into, but with a VOMeter, it is really easy. The power I went for is the same as when it turns off the radio etc.............in other words, it is the 'run-on' power. You can take the key out and as long as you don't open the door, the detector stays on with the radio. It comes on in the accessory position of the key switch.

As for the clear bra............... The material is called Venture Shield. A local place here in the Dallas Texas area installed it. They had also done the same for my '08 Z06 which was black. The color of the car will depict how much it will blend in. Silver hides it the best. White/Black are the worst. Here is a link to pictures of my Z06 which also had it on it: http://marblesmotors.com/Z062008.htm

Hope this helps.

Helps a ton, thank you! Mine is Grabber blue so I'm interested to see how well it hides it. I had the 3M clear bra put on my black F150 and it's really noticeable and even more so over the years.

The light bar sold on the Shelby Store is the CDC light bar except it does not have the little CDC logo emblem on it. It looks more OEM without the emblem. Just an FYI. Here is a pic of the emblem from one that I sold a while back.

DSC_0302.jpg

The light bar sold on the Shelby Store is the CDC light bar except it does not have the little CDC logo emblem on it. It looks more OEM without the emblem. Just an FYI.

I ordered mine from CDC without the logo as well, I specifically requested it that way. The guy said they "bondo" the sunken area and then sand it and wrap it afterward. Same thing they do on the bars they sell to Shelby. I could smell the bondo when I took it out of the box but the area looked no different than any other area.

Here are a few more pics, one with the view in the rear. Once again the convertible top and rear seats when not folded down take up the lower half of your viewing area, the bar really doesn't get in the way.

I ordered mine from CDC without the logo as well, I specifically requested it that way. The guy said they "bondo" the sunken area and then sand it and wrap it afterward. Same thing they do on the bars they sell to Shelby. I could smell the bondo when I took it out of the box but the area looked no different than any other area.

Here are a few more pics, one with the view in the rear. Once again the convertible top and rear seats when not folded down take up the lower half of your viewing area, the bar really doesn't get in the way.

I've been a friend with George (owner at CDC) since he made his first light bar back in 1989. He is a great guy and I don't mind having the advertisement. You really should also check out the foldable windscreen. One of the best things you can do for your hair.

I've been a friend with George (owner at CDC) since he made his first light bar back in 1989. He is a great guy and I don't mind having the advertisement. You really should also check out the foldable windscreen. One of the best things you can do for your hair.

Since there is only one "Light" bar on the market making advertising unecessary to those who want one, and the vehicle already has "Shelby" all over it I didn't want it to become to "busy" with graphics and logos like the import crowd is fond of.

I love CDC products as well which is why I made this thread. I haven't been a fan of the wind screen however from a aesthetic and aerodynamic standpoint. George would do well to make a hard full sized tonneau cover to go with his bar like Saleen did back in the day. I'd buy it in a heartbeat and I'm sure the majority of his light bar customers would as well.

Installing mine tomorrow. A vert just doesn't look right without the lightbar!! IMHO!!

I agree! One of my first mods was the light bar, but I got mine without the light (I like it better that way)... When I got mine, I had to 'custom order' it that way and it was a 'premium'... Now, they have it as an option... *sigh*

Still love it though! Except the stupid wear marks from the top that rub on it... Grrr.....

I agree! One of my first mods was the light bar, but I got mine without the light (I like it better that way)... When I got mine, I had to 'custom order' it that way and it was a 'premium'... Now, they have it as an option... *sigh*

Still love it though! Except the stupid wear marks from the top that rub on it... Grrr.....

My top is only up when I wash it but didn't your light bar come with velcro to keep the top from rubbing on it? Mine doesn't touch the bar at all when it is up.

My top is only up when I wash it but didn't your light bar come with velcro to keep the top from rubbing on it? Mine doesn't touch the bar at all when it is up.

Nope, mine did not come with that! Maybe that's a new addition to the package now that they know there's a problem? IDK... It's not super noticeable, but it still bugs me...

Nope, mine did not come with that! Maybe that's a new addition to the package now that they know there's a problem? IDK... It's not super noticeable, but it still bugs me...

Mine came with the velcro straps for securing the top up a bit so that it doesn't rub on the bar. Just call up CDC and I'll bet you they will be glad to send you a pair.

Mine came with the velcro straps for securing the top up a bit so that it doesn't rub on the bar. Just call up CDC and I'll bet you they will be glad to send you a pair.

I might do that... Of course, it's kind of like closing the barn door after the horses got out, but at least it will stop from getting worse, I suppose... ;)

• 1 month later...

Archived