TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 5.0 at Sebring Bone Stock

Saturday morning I drove up to Sebring to instruct. NASA usually assigns me students with late model Mustangs and GT500's. I wonder why??? :hysterical:

The student had some prior experience and even did a Skip Barber School a number of years ago so I was in hopes that we would just be clearing the cob webs and get down to business and push the car.

This thing was absolutely bone stock. It only had 1,800 miles.

After we worked on our lines and a couple of technique points we were able to start picking up the pace in the 3rd and 4th sessions. Bare in mind that we do 25 minute sessions with NASA Florida.

This car is freakin' awesome and it was bone stock. He had the Brembo brake package and the brakes didn't fade. We worked on late apex and as we progressed he started his turn in a little earlier at times and the car was nimble and would point and go.

Does the car need some modifications for open track, yes! However for a completely stock car I was pleasantly surprised at how well the car performed. It flat out hauls ass!!

After Shelby turns a 5.0 into a GT350 I can only imagine how this car will perform on the street and on the track. If you are on the fence about a 5.0 or a 5.0 conversion to a GT350 and you want a great street machine and an occasional track day toy, Just Do It!! You will love this car.

I've instructed a lot of different people in a lot of different cars of multiple makes and manufacturers. This is hands down one of the best cars I have been able to drive and instruct in. We passed everything on the track with one exception. A Shelby GT500!! I really have to hand it to Ford, they hit a homerun. This car is simply awesome and in the hands of a novice or highly capable driver you cannot go wrong for street or track. I can only imagine how well it will be with some modifications. As a GT350, this car will be sick!! The GT350 Supercharged is going to be a freak show on the road course!!

Now I'm going to start trying to save up some funds and hopefully when the opportunity presents itself there will be an available GT350 CSM Number.

I must have one!!

Absolutely a pony for the stable!! I am thoroughly impressed and I think anybody that gets to drive one will be as well.

Yeah, I have to second your take on this car....I had the opportunity to ride with Gary P. in the 350 this weekend at Hallet, twice actually, and I am very happy with my decision to get a GT350. Keeps up in the turns with the nimble terlinguas, and passes GT500s in the straights all day long....

The steering on this car is amazing, and the car just sticks to the track! PLUS, the interior is like a luxury car compared to the pre 2010 cars. Dont worry about the sound of the SC though, it still gets drowned out by that monster Borla exhaust. :happy feet:

Yeah, I have to second your take on this car....I had the opportunity to ride with Gary P. in the 350 this weekend at Hallet, twice actually, and I am very happy with my decision to get a GT350. Keeps up in the turns with the nimble terlinguas, and passes GT500s in the straights all day long....

The steering on this car is amazing, and the car just sticks to the track! PLUS, the interior is like a luxury car compared to the pre 2010 cars. Dont worry about the sound of the SC though, it still gets drowned out by that monster Borla exhaust. :happy feet:

The car is tight! With a good driver you can see the difference. Don't tell Gary I said he was a good driver........... :hysterical:

The car is tight! With a good driver you can see the difference. Don't tell Gary I said he was a good driver........... :hysterical:

Here's the video from last weekend at Sebring in the 5.0

Last lap starting at around the 5:58 mark. Looks like a 2:42 second lap time bone stock. That's movin' folks. American Iron cars had slower times than that!!!

And he had me in the car instructing him so it could have been faster with the extra 180 lbs out of the car.

Here's the video from last weekend at Sebring in the 5.0

Last lap starting at around the 5:58 mark. Looks like a 2:42 second lap time bone stock. That's movin' folks. American Iron cars had slower times than that!!!

And he had me in the car instructing him so it could have been faster with the extra 180 lbs out of the car.

Imagine that car at about 3000-3200 pounds full Griggs set up and a some engine tuning.....YIKES!!!!!!!!! On a side note it seems the Skip Barber School paid dividends. A couple years removed from the school and he seemed to settle in rather nicely and appeared to be very smooth. That was a great weekend and I am looking forward to PBIR in September.

Imagine that car at about 3000-3200 pounds full Griggs set up and a some engine tuning.....YIKES!!!!!!!!! On a side note it seems the Skip Barber School paid dividends. A couple years removed from the school and he seemed to settle in rather nicely and appeared to be very smooth. That was a great weekend and I am looking forward to PBIR in September.

Skip Barber definitely helps but it also helps when you have an instructor that can get you on the right line and let's you push it!!

Best I can recall a certain instructor helped you get on the right line which I think eventually helped you move up to the next level because your line was good and said instructor drilled the crap out of you with knowledge of the flags and corner workers, yes? Gave you some hints as to what we look for to make that forward progress....................Who is this unknown instructor? :hysterical:

Now that your are in group 3 I'll come out and we can bump draft down the back straight at PBIR! You in? :slapfight:

Skip Barber definitely helps but it also helps when you have an instructor that can get you on the right line and let's you push it!!

Best I can recall a certain instructor helped you get on the right line which I think eventually helped you move up to the next level because your line was good and said instructor drilled the crap out of you with knowledge of the flags and corner workers, yes? Gave you some hints as to what we look for to make that forward progress....................Who is this unknown instructor? hysterical.gif

Now that your are in group 3 I'll come out and we can bump draft down the back straight at PBIR! You in? slapfight.gif

Yes you are the master. You polished my lines and bumped me up to 3. Be careful teacher, sometimes the students come back to bite you in the ass! Now as far your first post..............what was that blistering fast GT500 you mentioned that your student couldn't get near enough to pass much less smell the exhaust????????? Hmmmmmmm......... As far as PBIR bring it on Biatch!!!!!!!!!! I am down 200 hp and much less suspension than you but if your bump drafting gets the times down I am all for it.

Yes you are the master. You polished my lines and bumped me up to 3. Be careful teacher, sometimes the students come back to bite you in the ass! Now as far your first post..............what was that blistering fast GT500 you mentioned that your student couldn't get near enough to pass much less smell the exhaust????????? Hmmmmmmm......... As far as PBIR bring it on Biatch!!!!!!!!!! I am down 200 hp and much less suspension than you but if your bump drafting gets the times down I am all for it.

Hold on there young Skywalker! I'll pull you around but I doubt I'll be doing any pushing! I knew you would take the bait on this one!

I was telling the student to follow your lines because your execution of the line as we discussed and worked on was dead on.

You don't know my lines! They are significantly different and wait till you graduate to Time Trial, then I am gonna own you like an old pair of shoes. Speaking of shoes, you better find some with some speed because you are SLOW!!! LOL

Just pulling your chain. I still can't believe you offered to let me drive your car. Here's the story folks........

Smallb69 told me I could drive his car. I declined. Later he said ' what was I thinking' and I said 'don't offer to let me drive your car'. ' bad things man, bad things'

Jon Lund road with me and JAS427 at Daytona a couple of years ago.

JAS427 evaluation by Lund, ' He's a good driver and very smooth'

Van evaluation by Jon Lund, ' When that blue reflective visor goes down I don't know the person who is driving, it's a damn scary ass freak show'

I consider that to be a compliment.

You got anything for me? One of these days we will be on track together and it is gonna be a good time. Just don't get pissed when I out brake you into a corner with my stock Brembos and stock rear brakes!!! LOL (clarification stock calipers)

I am one of the last of the late brakers!

You should try it sometime, try braking at the 200' mark versus the 400' mark!!

Just busting your stones! I look forward to the next track event.

You are doing very well. Keep up the good work.

Van

Hold on there young Skywalker! I'll pull you around but I doubt I'll be doing any pushing! I knew you would take the bait on this one!

I was telling the student to follow your lines because your execution of the line as we discussed and worked on was dead on.

You don't know my lines! They are significantly different and wait till you graduate to Time Trial, then I am gonna own you like an old pair of shoes. Speaking of shoes, you better find some with some speed because you are SLOW!!! LOL

Just pulling your chain. I still can't believe you offered to let me drive your car. Here's the story folks........

Smallb69 told me I could drive his car. I declined. Later he said ' what was I thinking' and I said 'don't offer to let me drive your car'. ' bad things man, bad things'

Van evaluation by Jon Lund, ' When that blue reflective visor goes down I don't know the person who is driving, it's a damn scary ass freak show'

You got anything for me? One of these days we will be on track together and it is gonna be a good time. Just don't get pissed when I out brake you into a corner with my stock Brembos and stock rear brakes!!! LOL (clarification stock calipers)

Van

Brother it's on like Donkey Kong.

You have a year or two headstart on me Obi-Wan but I do feel the force raging through my veins. Give it some time and I'll be working a little Shake n' Bake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuR1u0pjR3s

I hear ya' on the braking. It will come my friend. And yes we will be on the track together one day and I am looking forward to that. On a serious note, when are you going to stop playing grab ass with everyone on the track and get serious about building an AI or AIX car? That's where we will have the fun. Bro, there are 2 AI cars and no AIX cars that I have seen run in the Florida Region. We need to spruce the competition a little.

Brother it's on like Donkey Kong.

You have a year or two headstart on me Obi-Wan but I do feel the force raging through my veins. Give it some time and I'll be working a little Shake n' Bake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuR1u0pjR3s

I hear ya' on the braking. It will come my friend. And yes we will be on the track together one day and I am looking forward to that. On a serious note, when are you going to stop playing grab ass with everyone on the track and get serious about building an AI or AIX car? That's where we will have the fun. Bro, there are 2 AI cars and no AIX cars that I have seen run in the Florida Region. We need to spruce the competition a little.

Kind of why I have been sticking with time trial for now. more competition.

Makes sense I guess. Would be nice if there were more AI/AIX racers down here.

The AI guys say the same thing. NASA Florida really wants to grow the racing series and they had a great showing a PBIR earlier this year. Maybe one or two AIX cars in South Florida and they rarely come out. I've never seen them.

The AI guys say the same thing. NASA Florida really wants to grow the racing series and they had a great showing a PBIR earlier this year. Maybe one or two AIX cars in South Florida and they rarely come out. I've never seen them.

Well that is a shame. A good way to go at it would be to build a car according to the AI rules and run it in what ever TT division it falls under for a season to get used to it and work out the bugs. That may be the way I approach it when the time is right. I keep knocking that around because if I go for a Griggs suspension and a KB (not even counting upgrading the motor) I would be in the $15k-$20k range and that would be money that could go towards a dedicated track car......at least to get one started and then I could just keep having fun with the GT500 as she sits now. Oh well one can dream.

We need to notify the moderators and change his call sign to "Chewy" :hysterical:

Living in San Antonio might have a negative implication branding myself with the name "Chewy"...Im just sayin' :hysterical:

I can just imagine the horrified reactions I get from locals when I introduce myself as Chewy....

Maybe if I grew my beard back out and quit cutting my hair though... :headscratch:

:redcard:

Living in San Antonio might have a negative implication branding myself with the name "Chewy"...Im just sayin' :hysterical:

I can just imagine the horrified reactions I get from locals when I introduce myself as Chewy....

Maybe if I grew my beard back out and quit cutting my hair though... :headscratch:

:redcard:

LMBO!!! Perhaps we should call you, 'Holmes'

• 3 weeks later...

Nice. I recently test drove the 2011 Roush-Stage-2 Mustang. I must say I was very impressed with the car. The suspension mods were perfect imho, they also had the CAI as part of the package. For people who dont know the Stage-2 Roush mustangs come with upgraded suspension and the CAI which adds about 20hp. Car handled very well with slight body roll, throttle responce was good to. I might go this route and add a super-charger and some options down the road. I am still on the fence though I loved my GT-500 and was considering the new 2011 500. Have Van I need to fly out there and take some lessons from you, I need a vacation anyways. Is there a car I can rent for the day Van?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. I recently test drove the 2011 Roush-Stage-2 Mustang. I must say I was very impressed with the car. The suspension mods were perfect imho, they also had the CAI as part of the package. For people who dont know the Stage-2 Roush mustangs come with upgraded suspension and the CAI which adds about 20hp. Car handled very well with slight body roll, throttle responce was good to. I might go this route and add a super-charger and some options down the road. I am still on the fence though I loved my GT-500 and was considering the new 2011 500. Have Van I need to fly out there and take some lessons from you, I need a vacation anyways. Is there a car I can rent for the day Van?

Thanks

If I find one I'm renting it and you can come too........Need to re-flash it first though. Even with an auto it will be great on the track.

Van

i"ll mirror Jon's statement...but i had a blast... :happy feet:

i"ll mirror Jon's statement...but i had a blast... :happy feet:

I had a great time at Daytona as well. Looking forward to December 2011 already.

Daytona is closed until January for re-paving. First race on the new pavement will be the 24 Hours of Daytona.

Not sure how I missed this thread. What a great time at Sebring.

Here is a picture of how I choose to remember the day! (Yes, I'm sure I waved you on shortly thereafter)

Can't come on and talk too much smack, might end up R2D2 or worse.

Mark

Not sure how I missed this thread. What a great time at Sebring.

Here is a picture of how I choose to remember the day! (Yes, I'm sure I waved you on shortly thereafter)

Can't come on and talk too much smack, might end up R2D2 or worse.

Mark

Having attachment issues...post-26466-128146715288_thumb.jpg

post-26466-128146715288_thumb.jpg

Archived