TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT-H #102 Autocross and RMMR pics

JeffJ

Race and show... very nice, Jeff!

I think I see BFG R1 tires on your car. What's your thoughts about them?

Also, I see the neat gold magnetic decal set for the doors, but can't quite

make them out. What put you in CP class?

-Tom

Race and show... very nice, Jeff!

I think I see BFG R1 tires on your car. What's your thoughts about them?

Also, I see the neat gold magnetic decal set for the doors, but can't quite

make them out. What put you in CP class?

-Tom

Yep, BFG R1's. I get them for free working for the Mustang Challenge series. They are race car take offs, so very scuffed in. They actually work much better than I expected them to since they are made to work best with heat in them. They are very good cold. I need more power now to get them out of the corners in an autocross. The tire compound is what put me into CP. For this autocross, anything with a tread wear rating of lower than 120, put you into unlimited. This was a Mustang only event run by the show, so not an SCCA event. Since the R1's are 40, that put me into CP eventhough my car is pretty much stock otherwise. I ended up 3rd in the event just behind a couple full race machines, so I was happy. The decals are what I had made up after the Terlingua Bullrun event in 2008. I was lucky and had the company make them up for me in Gold and on magnets before Shelby told them not to. The "3" looks odd as I had to turn my 102 into a 302 as I was late to get my number in registering and the sign company could not get me my new numbers in time.

Any videos from the autocross? I took my Cobra in for a DFI calibration and they had a borrowed Cobra. Garry finished 4th and his son drove the same car - first time and he said they did pretty good but spun out. The father/son Kirkhams took it again. Once again it looks like Cobras got best times overall too.

Yes, the Kirkhams were the fastest of the show again. Here's a video. Doesn't look really quick on video, but does show how stable and how well it sticks. I ended up 3rd in the unlimited Mustang class.

Yep, BFG R1's. I get them for free working for the Mustang Challenge series. They are race car take offs, so very scuffed in. They actually work much better than I expected them to since they are made to work best with heat in them. They are very good cold. I need more power now to get them out of the corners in an autocross. The tire compound is what put me into CP. For this autocross, anything with a tread wear rating of lower than 120, put you into unlimited. This was a Mustang only event run by the show, so not an SCCA event. Since the R1's are 40, that put me into CP eventhough my car is pretty much stock otherwise. I ended up 3rd in the event just behind a couple full race machines, so I was happy. The decals are what I had made up after the Terlingua Bullrun event in 2008. I was lucky and had the company make them up for me in Gold and on magnets before Shelby told them not to. The "3" looks odd as I had to turn my 102 into a 302 as I was late to get my number in registering and the sign company could not get me my new numbers in time.

Third place is very nice... congrats.

If I got free R compound tires, they'd have to be total dogs for me not to use them (and the BFG's are

no dogs). Way back when, those were my first R tires. Recently I've been using Hoosiers, but they are

pricey. For this season I got lucky to get slightly used ones off ebay.

CP class in SCCA is actually a neat class for our cars to be. There are old GT-350R cars out there competing

in CP, and I'd love to compete against them. After the 2011+ Mustang GTs take over FS, I'll start my modding and

move my SGT to CP for as long as they have it.

-Tom

Archived