TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone have a rattle?

Ford has tried to get this figured out for I don't remember how long. Under certain conditions, I hear a metal rattle? Sounded like exhaust so they tried exhaust, rattle still present. There is a tsb for something like this on the 4.6 motor, but not the 5.4 to my knowledge. Not sure if the tsb was for a shield etc. When you accelerate under load and somewhat bog down the motor its a rattle. You don't hear it all the time, so it is not very easy to figure out. Just looking for ideas, experiences.

Ford has tried to get this figured out for I don't remember how long. Under certain conditions, I hear a metal rattle? Sounded like exhaust so they tried exhaust, rattle still present. There is a tsb for something like this on the 4.6 motor, but not the 5.4 to my knowledge. Not sure if the tsb was for a shield etc. When you accelerate under load and somewhat bog down the motor its a rattle. You don't hear it all the time, so it is not very easy to figure out. Just looking for ideas, experiences.

I have a metal to metal sound when I start to take off...sounds like someone threw a coin in a can......regardless of going forward or reverse. I'll check the cats and see if that's it. Dealer thought it was DSS driveshaft.......don't think so.....thats not where the sound is coming from.

I've had the exact same problem on my SGT. The rattle was inconsistent and no way of duplicating the conditions exactly to repeat the noise. I had the dealer shop foreman go for a ride with me and the first ride I was able to get the noise to appear, satisfying the foreman. They went ahead and took the car in for further diagnosis. The ended up replacing the passenger side muffler. It was quiet for the ride home (7 miles), but on a longer trip the noise reappeared. I took it back in and went for another ride with the foreman. I was able to get it to make noise again and they ended up replacing the other muffler.

The foreman and mechanic told me that it was a bit@% trying to duplicate the noise as it was inconsistent and there was no set pattern to duplicate it. So far the noise is gone, but I haven't driven it very far yet. They also said that the hanger on the driver's side needed to be trimmed as it was contacted the frame and rubbing. Ford apparently realized that as the new muffler had a shorter hanger and did not need to be trimmed.

I would have the foreman go for a ride with you and vary the drving conditions and go on bumpy and uneven roads along with some highway time to try to get it to appear. That's how I did it.

Good luck,

Dan

I had one of these rattles coming from the rear in my car. I though it was from the outside, but after 4 visits to the dealer they finally found it. It was a rear speaker mount on the rear deck that was not screwed down all the way.

I have the same rattle but it's a metal to metal clank going over bumps. Is that what you hear? Do you have the Shaker 1000? I was wondering if that was the next place to look as we can't find anything under the car causing it. How did you get to the mount, through the trunk?

I have the same rattle but it's a metal to metal clank going over bumps. Is that what you hear? Do you have the Shaker 1000? I was wondering if that was the next place to look as we can't find anything under the car causing it. How did you get to the mount, through the trunk?

Not really. Mine was more of a metal buzz at certain RPMs. Make sure you start having them look in the trunk and under the rear deck. And I have the shaker 500.

Not really. Mine was more of a metal buzz at certain RPMs. Make sure you start having them look in the trunk and under the rear deck. And I have the shaker 500.

Are you sure you guys are not referring to the mild engine noise at idle or low gears? It' supposed to be normal due the nature of the performance drivetrain. It's in the Shelby GT500 suppliment guide with the manual.

Archived