TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Splitter... Wooh!

I pulled into a parking space today and misjudged the front. Fortunately the splitter was higher than the curb or I would have ripped it off.

Knowing that the splitter would be an issue, based on my experience with my 07 GT with a CDC chin spoiler, I typically leave several feet in front of the car for good measures, but not today.

Hopefully lesson learned, but I was wondering how many of you guys were less fortunate...

My GT500 is my everyday car. I would like to think that I'm as careful as anyone, unfortunately those darn curbs can reach up and grap you when you least expect it. I have simply come to the realization that I will replace my splitter once every year. Luckily they are easy to change out and cost between $90 and $130 depending on how nice your parts guy is.

Two for me, and that's it. I now ONLY back into parking spots if they have bumper blocks.

The stock ones seem to be pretty tough. I've 'touched' a few curbs. I have trouble with my steep drive and I've used a razor blade to trim the little curly after effects off the front lower edge prior to a car show. I saw a half dozen carbon fiber splitters at a Hallet this week and most of them were obviously hit. I would not recommend this upgrade if you are worried about replacement costs or frequency. One man said he was on his second and had the third one in his garage. The one on his car was less than a year old and had been damaged in two spots, minor but not pretty, but as he said it was still serviceable. ShelbyLt

post-28748-127697431666_thumb.jpg

I pulled into a parking space today and misjudged the front. Fortunately the splitter was higher than the curb or I would have ripped it off.

Knowing that the splitter would be an issue, based on my experience with my 07 GT with a CDC chin spoiler, I typically leave several feet in front of the car for good measures, but not today.

Hopefully lesson learned, but I was wondering how many of you guys were less fortunate...

Similar story for me the other night.

We bowl on a league on Thursday nights. It gets over at 9-9:30 and starts at 6, with us getting there a little early to get prepared. So, no time for dinner on Thurs. night.

On the way home we debate: Mickey D's or Jack? Mickey D's won out.

Well, both my wife and I are disabled (multiple back surgeries/fusions) so we each have a gimp card. I usually park in a gimp zone because there are hash marks on either side and no one can get withing "door ding distace". And I'm *usually* cautious about my front spoiler/splitter and give myself plenty of distance.

We ate, came out and as I was walking my wife past the front to the Pass. side (I always open her door for her) she looks down and says, 'whew, you got close".

I look down and my splitter is about 6 inches past the "stop" point but there couldn't have been more than about .030" between it and the tire stop. If I had my car lowered (which I plan to do) my splitter would'a been history. AND, I plan on putting a CF splitter up there!

What I figured out was, I judged my distance to the CURB by enough...but the tire stop concrete thing was another foot or so back from the curb and I didn't take THAT into account.

That's the second time I got away with a stupid move.

I need to start being VERY aware of being in the Mustang instead of one of my other cars, which I'm used to driving. I guess I gotta 'retrain' myself to be aware of being in the Shelby.

'Cause next time, it might cost me 4-600 bucks! (for the TruFiber CF splitter I plan to install).

Whew!

Phill (time to buy a lotto ticket)

17,000 miles and still on the original....albeit with a lot of rash on the bottom edges...

Don't you have a vintage KR?

I thought you had a newer SGT (or some similar Shelby) and a vintage KR.

Does the KR have a front splitter like the newer ones?

Or am I confusing you with someone else?

Prunedale Phill

27,500 miles on my daily driver and still on the original.

Before pulling into a spot, I will give it a quick survey to pinpoint the location of the block, and imagine a line extending to the left of the block (if the block in the spot to the left is not visible), then pull in and get that "imaginary line" so its just visible under the driver side mirror. From my seating position, this will get me close enough, your seating position and line of sight may vary. Get up close to a block and find a reference point that will work for you and work for many conditions.

Before pulling into a spot, I will give it a quick survey to pinpoint the location of the block, and imagine a line extending to the left of the block (if the block in the spot to the left is not visible), then pull in and get that "imaginary line" so its just visible under the driver side mirror. From my seating position, this will get me close enough, your seating position and line of sight may vary. Get up close to a block and find a reference point that will work for you and work for many conditions.

I use the mirror as my guide also. But be sure to adjust if you are parking on a diagonal spot. ShelbyLt.

Great technique. I'll try that next time...

Mine has some scratches and dings from mis-judging the distance when parking.

I'm going to replace it eventually, and am thinking about adding a small bullet camera connected to my Pioneer head unit so I can actually seehow close I am when I'm parking. lol

Mine's original with 26k miles. However, my car is so low that even being careful it scrapes when going over driveways or big dips in the road. I actually drag the bottom for about 8 inches on the diamond plate loading and unloading on my trailer. I just trim off the curly Qs as needed. I planned on replacing when it breaks or gets too ugly, but the thing takes an amazing amount of abuse. Built Ford tough I guess! :hysterical:

• 4 weeks later...

Two for me, and that's it. I now ONLY back into parking spots if they have bumper blocks.

+1

When i need to park i just back in.At least i know it wont get damaged that way ,now i need to figure out a better way of going down my drive way.That were my damage is comeing from. :peelout:

+1

Car isn't lowered and has rash on the edges

I forgot about that splitter once within the first month I had the car. Started pulling into a spot with one of those blocks and quickly stopped as I remembered looking at the front of my new car and thinking "wow...is that thing low". Never even came close again! LOL! I always stop a good foot short now.

I always wondered if we could install a backup camera somewhere inconspicuously in front and have a video shot of the parking block as we approach. Maybe somewhere behind the lower grill...

Does anyone know if there is a stand-alone camera and (small) monitor available?

I'm not talking about one you would tie in to your existing Nav screen, but maybe one with a small (GPS size) screen you could hide in the glovebox or center console, then pull it out when parking so you can get "up close and personal" with the curbs.

Like someone else said in this thread, for some reason the depth perception for the splitter is way off from where you'd think it is. I was being SUPER careful one time and my splitter went over the top of the curb/stop. Well, not the actual *curb* but they had bumpers out a little from the curb.

It *might* be because I drive my Shelby so little and I'm used to either my GMC (1/2 ton) truck or my wife's MBZ ML (SUV). I'm so used to driving them that I GUESS I just don't pay enough attn. to the nose of the 'Stang.

I too want to put a CF splitter on my car but I'm waiting until I get totally used to parking it because I've some *so* close at least a couple of times. AND, I plan to lower it with FRPP handling pack to the two times I got *lucky* and the splitter went OVER the curbing, would have resulted in a broken splitter had it been lowered.

As it is, when I have gone too far, the splitter *just* goes over the curb. They must'a set it at that height just for the curbing (I ASS U ME they're a standard dimension).

I'm too chicken to spend some big bucks on a CF splitter right now, just to waste it on the first parking job (with my luck, or lack thereof).

Sounds like it's a pretty common occurence (occurance?), to hit the OEM splitter on a curb.

Phill

Working on locating a good price for my second one - 8K miles. Unfortunately most damage to the original was from the dealer moving the car around the lot. Wouldn't replace before buying but I got the car new at a below-MSRP sale with everything else in good shape so I let it go. Though I've done a few "WTF??" moments myself especially now that the car is lower.

As mine is currently a daily driver, I'm thinking about keeping the original on the car and swapping it out for the new one for car shows or if there is a planned cruise. Though this is just my way to justify getting a CF one. :hysterical:

As for backing in, I prefer this route but sometimes I've rubbed the bottom of my exhaust if the parking spot has a decline to it. Now THAT is frustrating.

Does anyone know if there is a stand-alone camera and (small) monitor available?

I'm not talking about one you would tie in to your existing Nav screen, but maybe one with a small (GPS size) screen you could hide in the glovebox or center console, then pull it out when parking so you can get "up close and personal" with the curbs.

Like someone else said in this thread, for some reason the depth perception for the splitter is way off from where you'd think it is. I was being SUPER careful one time and my splitter went over the top of the curb/stop. Well, not the actual *curb* but they had bumpers out a little from the curb.

It *might* be because I drive my Shelby so little and I'm used to either my GMC (1/2 ton) truck or my wife's MBZ ML (SUV). I'm so used to driving them that I GUESS I just don't pay enough attn. to the nose of the 'Stang.

I too want to put a CF splitter on my car but I'm waiting until I get totally used to parking it because I've some *so* close at least a couple of times. AND, I plan to lower it with FRPP handling pack to the two times I got *lucky* and the splitter went OVER the curbing, would have resulted in a broken splitter had it been lowered.

As it is, when I have gone too far, the splitter *just* goes over the curb. They must'a set it at that height just for the curbing (I ASS U ME they're a standard dimension).

I'm too chicken to spend some big bucks on a CF splitter right now, just to waste it on the first parking job (with my luck, or lack thereof).

Sounds like it's a pretty common occurence (occurance?), to hit the OEM splitter on a curb.

Phill

There are several companies that make mirrors that have monitors hidden behind the glass, pair that with a small camera behind the grille and you'd be good to go.

Jason

Archived