TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Engine Technology Good Enough For The Nissan GT-R

The new PTWA processed aluminum engine block video for the Shelby GT500 can be viewed at the first link below. The second link describes how Ford Technology is used by Nissan for their supercar GT-R. The PTWA process is truly remarkable. The aluminum blocks are superior technology befitting the Shelby GT500 cars. Ford really has a winner for 2011.

I can't wait to see what Ford / Shelby have in store for 2012 to take on the rumored 2012 Camaro Z-28. My money is on the GT500 to out do the Z-28.

The Dodge boys on the other hand are scratching their heads, and unfortunately for the SRT8 Challenger, albeit a beauty in style, will still suffer in the performance category for 2011; 2011 Challengers still have not debuted yet. Dodge supposedly has a 6.4 liter with 475 - 525 HP lined up for the 2011 SRT8.

http://jalopnik.com/5548812/2011-shelby-gt500-first-drive

http://jalopnik.com/5467038/the-ford-engine-technology-good-enough-for-the-nissan-gt+r

Edited by Goats4ever

Good post. The PTWA process is pretty extraordinary. The links below include one of the two links you show and there is a discussion of the PTWA process in a few spots on the forum if you do a search for it.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53471-ptwa-process-for-2011-aluminum-block-articlevideo/page__p__925591__hl__PTWA__fromsearch__1entry925591

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53894-good-read-on-fords-2011-aluminum-block-technology/page__p__916861__hl__PTWA__fromsearch__1entry916861

Jim

"Sadly, there is one downside — all of this wonderful technology will put an end to boring out an engine block for bigger displacement, at least on a grassroots scale. Still, we we think the benefits are worth the sacrifice."

There's the answer to my many month old question. Very cool tech, but it's going to suck for the little guy that wants a big bore built motor, especially once PTWA becomes standard on all model engines.

"Sadly, there is one downside — all of this wonderful technology will put an end to boring out an engine block for bigger displacement, at least on a grassroots scale. Still, we we think the benefits are worth the sacrifice."

There's the answer to my many month old question. Very cool tech, but it's going to suck for the little guy that wants a big bore built motor, especially once PTWA becomes standard on all model engines.

I see your point, but with 550 stock HP in the GT500, why bore when you can do other mods like pulley exchange, shorties, etc., to increase HP, without pulling the engine and boring.

^I'm not talking street applications. For 95% of end users, not being able to bore an engine out will make zero difference. In the end, it's a smart business move by Ford. This process is actually cheaper than using traditional liners.

• 3 weeks later...

I see your point, but with 550 stock HP in the GT500, why bore when you can do other mods like pulley exchange, shorties, etc., to increase HP, without pulling the engine and boring.

I don't think the avg. dealer has this technology. When we have to get our engines rebuilt I think the cost will by much much higher for these blocks vs. going to the mach shop and getting work done.....plus the increased lead time. JMO

• 2 weeks later...

The process is patented by Ford. I wonder how much Nissan paid Ford for you to drive around in it since 2008.

Wow- BIG apology for posting a comment before I actually read the article. Kudos to Ford. Just seemed odd to me that Nissan was using a process Ford developed before they themselves were using it. Again, sorry for sticking my foot in my mouth!

No apology required. Just promise you won't review my posts to see how many times I've inserted my foot in my mouth! :hysterical:

it's a deal, then!