TEAM SHELBY FORUM

4:10's 1/4 mile E.T.

This fellow claims to have run a 1/4 mile time of 12.50 simply by switching to 4:10 gears and UDP's. Does anyone know if this would be a typical performance increase for those mods?

http://www.dragtimes.com/Ford-Mustang-Timeslip-20030.html

I'm thinking there's some mods he didn't list... I'm not super educated about drag racing or anything, but I would imagine 4.10's are good for .1-.4 second improvements depending on what gear you are coming from, and since I think our cars stock are running 13.5's with 3.55's, 12.5 is a dream with just that mod....

I don't expect that the udp's and exhaust could add enough to make up the diff either... something is missing for sure.

Let me guess on street tires too!!! Even with all my mods and the 4.10's, I might do a 13 flat. Some car guys are more delusional than me !!! Say yes to Prozac !!! :hysterical: I have that dyno storm program on my BB when I get a chance will run do a couple of runs. I found long straight away next to a farm .

This fellow claims to have run a 1/4 mile time of 12.50 simply by switching to 4:10 gears and UDP's. Does anyone know if this would be a typical performance increase for those mods?

4:10's, UDPs, Long Tube Headers, Exhaust, Drag Radials, and an automatic transmisssion. Plus Dallas in December would likely be very cool. Good chance he had a non-stock tune and stiffer lower control arms given the 60 ft times but I would say that 12.5 is totally reasonable.

I have seen a fairly stock 2005 GT with only a CAI and 93 ocatane custom tune run consistent 12.9's with street tires in cool weather (manual transmission) but the kid who drives it is an exceptioanlly good driver.

4:10's, UDPs, Long Tube Headers, Exhaust, Drag Radials, and an automatic transmisssion. Plus Dallas in December would likely be very cool. Good chance he had a non-stock tune and stiffer lower control arms given the 60 ft times but I would say that 12.5 is totally reasonable.

I have seen a fairly stock 2005 GT with only a CAI and 93 ocatane custom tune run consistent 12.9's with street tires in cool weather (manual transmission) but the kid who drives it is an exceptioanlly good driver.

no offense, but........

I would say that it will be rather difficult for any of us humans to duplicate that kids driving skills and therefore I would expect the best you could expect would be a 12.8-12.9! :salute:

no offense, but........

I would say that it will be rather difficult for any of us humans to duplicate that kids driving skills and therefore I would expect the best you could expect would be a 12.8-12.9! :salute:

I totally concur !! Oh great one :bowdown: what was concurring about again

no offense, but........

No offense taken Mike... just saying there are lots of variables to consider... Cool temps = ~3-4 10ths versus hot weather, Custom Tune = ~2 10ths versus stock tune, stiffer LCA's ~2 10ths, Driver +/- 5 10ths. Plus the 4:10's, UDPs, Long Tube Headers, Exhaust, Drag Radials should make 12.5 well within reach.

When I ran stock I was at ~13.8. I added the Paxton and at 455 RWHP only ran ~12.8 at first, very frustrating when the kid with the driving skills and minor mods was right on my tail. It took tires, suspension mods, gears, and seat time for me to get respectable numbers, so HP alone will only get you so far.

My car is a lot faster and I'm a lot slower than I was 30 years ago... youth is wasted on the young.

My 05 GT consistantly ran 12.8s, but it had CAI + 93 octane tune, 4:10s, UDPs, Spydershaft, O/R H, Magnaflow catback, Pro 5.0 shifter, line locks, 17" MT ET Streets bia ply rear tires, Adj UCA, LCAs, and launching at 5500.

My 05 GT consistantly ran 12.8s, but it had CAI + 93 octane tune, 4:10s, UDPs, Spydershaft, O/R H, Magnaflow catback, Pro 5.0 shifter, line locks, 17" MT ET Streets bia ply rear tires, Adj UCA, LCAs, and launching at 5500.

There you go. I'd say that combination would break the 13's, but the times he's claiming, personally, I'd need to see the time slip to believe it.

There you go. I'd say that combination would break the 13's, but the times he's claiming, personally, I'd need to see the time slip to believe it.

With out a good set of tires if you dump that clutch at 5500 your spinning all the way out and without them your slipping the clutch to get out with out spinning. Age has nothing to do with it at 30 with practice you can do anything. Now me is a different story, I would someone else run my car down the track. and with all my mods then my car should also be in the 12's. :peelout: :beatdeadhorse:

Looks like you didn't read the entire list. Long tubes were in there as well as an off road X pipe and drag radials. Add in the fact that it was in Dallas during December. Seventy degrees in December is pretty good air quallity. It is easily done with a good 93 octane tune. I've seen that car run and it is real.

Why do you guys always doubt anyone without Shelby stripes and serial numbers?

So how much is the long tube / off road X good for?

I don't care if the car has stripes or a number, just going from the little I know...

my car is 319hp at the crank w/ a xpipe, intake and 91 tune and does 13.6 or 13.7 in the quarter according to the magazine testers/articles I've seen, is that number wrong?

to gain over a second with a 93 tune and UDP's and the steeper gear and different exhaust seems like a hellava bargain! I thought a car this size would need about 100hp increase to shave a second off... and I don't see 100hp with those mods.... I would think 50 is optimistic, but since I'm pretty sure I know who you are, share the knowledge!

Seriously guys? I love the "I dont really know anything about drag racing, but there is no way he could have done it" It can be done and has been done, and by more than just this guy. If any of you like, I can find out where he lives and you can set up a race. I am sure he isn't shy about running his car.

I don't care if the car has stripes or a number, just going from the little I know...

my car is 319hp at the crank w/ a xpipe, intake and 91 tune and does 13.6 or 13.7 in the quarter according to the magazine testers/articles I've seen, is that number wrong?

to gain over a second with a 93 tune and UDP's and the steeper gear and different exhaust seems like a hellava bargain! I thought a car this size would need about 100hp increase to shave a second off... and I don't see 100hp with those mods.... I would think 50 is optimistic, but since I'm pretty sure I know who you are, share the knowledge!

The members here don't really want him to share his knowledge. He wouldn't be nice about it and they wouldn't like that. After all, it's more important to be nice than it is to be accurate.

Let me guess on street tires too!!! Even with all my mods and the 4.10's, I might do a 13 flat. Some car guys are more delusional than me !!! Say yes to Prozac !!! :hysterical: I have that dyno storm program on my BB when I get a chance will run do a couple of runs. I found long straight away next to a farm .

And some car guys actually click on the link and read ALL the modifications which, in this case, INCLUDED drag radials. So take a Prozac and go polish your car. Try to stay away from any racetracks, m'kay? And you might want to change that screen name from RACERX009 to WANNABEX009.

And you could see it if you bothered to click on the link and look for it.

With out a good set of tires if you dump that clutch at 5500 your spinning all the way out and without them your slipping the clutch to get out with out spinning. Age has nothing to do with it at 30 with practice you can do anything. Now me is a different story, I would someone else run my car down the track. and with all my mods then my car should also be in the 12's. :peelout: :beatdeadhorse:

Still didn't click on the link, did you? The car in question has an AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.

You should try it sometime. Long tube headers unlock the three valve's breathing potential in ways a lot of people just don't want to believe. The key to a multi-valve headed engine making power is letting it breathe. The other way is to make it accelerate quicker in each gear. A 4.10 gear is to a 3.73 in much the same way that 3.73 gears are to 3.31's. Night and day. You can run low 13's all day long with 3.73's. Add a set of 4.10's and you're deep into the 12's. His car works because it breathes, it can accelerate quicker through the gears, it has an automatic so there is no lost momentum on gear changes or launch, and it has a damn good tune. Add in some cool, dry air and you have a 12.50 car.

Once you guys put aside your bias and misinformation you'd be surprised how easy it is to run 12's with bolt on parts.

Glad to know that my minor feat has the attention of the Shelby forum. I am not sure why all of you that have cammed full bolt on S197's aren't running mid 12's. I have since added a 3k stall and hope to drop that 12.504 a tenth or two. My personal best at the 1/8 mile is a 7.72 but since I can only find the time slip (which is posted on S197.com in the drag racing section) for 7.91 pass. At the time that I made the pass at Dallas raceway I was running a BamaCHips tune. Guys this is not a huge feat. Go to S197 and you can see that there are many N/A cars that are running quicker times than me.

mods: BamaChips 93 full race tune, C&L intake, BBK LT, O/R"X" pipe, comp 127200 NSR cams, 4.10 gears, UDP's and M/T ET Street slicks.

no offense, but........I would say that it will be rather difficult for any of us humans to duplicate that kids driving skills and therefore I would expect the best you could expect would be a 12.8-12.9! :salute:

you forgot the comp 127200 cams

Any of you that doubt this We can meet up when it cools off and I will show you........besides I am 53 yrs old, so why would I have to b.s. about the times my car runs. If I were 18 and had something to prove to the world amybe, but I have nothing to prove and no reason to lie.

These cars run early 13's out of the factory in terms of 05-10 GT's, and you're doubting a 12.5 run on 4.10's and UDP's? Sorry to break it to you, but its very possible. dont hate the guy cause he's a good drag racer. if you doubt this time, i think maybe you should be a better driver. just my two cents...

Sure you can. You just didn't take weight into account. Lots of things come into play. Bottom line to all of this is simple.........you can't just look at someone's modifications and automatically say, "That can't be true." Plenty of people doubted my 10.88/128 mph pass because I was only using 8 psi of boost. The roots and screw blower guys were pissing themselves over that one. What they did NOT take into account was that with a twin turbo system you will always make more torque than horsepower. Torque moves the car downtrack. Mine just happened to produce 541 ft pounds of torque. Blower guys can't do that so they were calling bullsh!t. Until I did it again and again and again.

Never doubt it unless you are absolutely sure. Unless something is WAAAAYYYYY out of proportion and you know for certain it can't be done then don't be so quick to call B/S.

Archived