TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need to hire a new manager...

I have been extremely lucky because I have had the same employee for the last 15 years. She does the work of two people and has been ultra committed, reliable, and extremely honest. I knew the day would come when she decided it was time to retire and today, I got that word.

My question is (because I've never had to worry about this before as a business owner)... what is the best way to "advertise" for the hiring of a new employee? Local newspaper? Monster.com? Sign in the window? Any other methods that are used by the current generation of adults?

Thanks for any advise!

Not sure about the "level" of position you're trying to fill, but we "hire" all of our people thru a temp agency.

This way we get "test drive" them for 6-12 months, if we like, we hire, if not and the fit isn't good we simply call the agency and say, don't need him/her tomorrow. We've called the agency in as little as a week or two, as you'll know fairly soon what type of person you have.

For us businesses based in California, this has been very beneficial for us, as this really eliminates the potential of a BS wrongful dismissal action. Plus they handle all of the payroll as part of their temp status. Temp can be full time, it does not mean part time, although it could be based on needs

For those that say, you cannot find anyone good thru a temp agency, we have some real troopers working full time for us now,that came to us from the agency.

Good luck

I have been extremely lucky because I have had the same employee for the last 15 years. She does the work of two people and has been ultra committed, reliable, and extremely honest. I knew the day would come when she decided it was time to retire and today, I got that word.

My question is (because I've never had to worry about this before as a business owner)... what is the best way to "advertise" for the hiring of a new employee? Local newspaper? Monster.com? Sign in the window? Any other methods that are used by the current generation of adults?

Thanks for any advise!

RayMan,

Let your business colleagues at your local Chamber of Commerce know you are looking. With the economy here in California still in the dumps, many of them may still be laying off trusted employees or can refer you to a former employee they had to let go. The right individual makes a huge difference in the success of an organization. Good luck!

The Two above Posts are GREAT Ideas. Here is one more (maybe). Check with the Local Collages and try out the Internship Program. You give someone experience in a field that they are in and in most Cases, it is little to no cost to you, they do it for Class Credit.

Archived