TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ideas to stiffen the chassis

bradenbb

As a vert owner I am searching for a way to stiffen the chassis on this car. I am looking at all ideas such as K-member, Strut Braces, Subframe connectors and even a roll bar. The problem I am addressing is a steering wheel wiggle and rear view mirror shake on some roads and under hard acceleration. Also, keeping the car tight will make it better 30 yrs from now.

I would like to find a bolt on idea that will stop the wheel wiggle and windshield shake on some roads. The best idea I have found is a four point bolt on K-member and a X brace. See http://dhrfabrication.com/press_release.htm It works with all current bracing and bolts on in a few hrs. I spoke with the owner and he has made this to fit the GT 500 Vert and Coupe. He has several out there being tested and will have the real world feedback in a week or so.

I have also started to look at weld on solutions. BMR makes a subframe HD kit that will fit the vert if we remove the rear chassis stiffening. http://www.bmrfabrication.com/05Mustang/SFC_installed.jpg

Could it be something else causing the problem? The tires check out ok on the balancer, I have the rings. ??? Basically, a vibration comes and goes, that is why I think it is roads, and it is annoying. I can see in the steering wheel wiggle, rear view mirror shake and sometimes I feel it in the seat. It is a pretty good vibration.

What other ideas and experiences do people have with chassis stiffening? There has got to be a way to make our rides smoother on all roads. All input is very much appreciated.

My vert would also shake on certain roads. It turned out to be the wheels were out of balance. It also shakes when first driving I think the Ford Racing bushings have to heat up to allow it to flex more. Now that I had the tires balanced it rides much better but still has a slight shake when I first get into the car. I know you have a GT500 so I assume you do not have the Ford Racing sway bar and springs?

Edited by NordicShelby

My vert would also shake on certain roads. It turned out to be the wheels were out of balance. It also shakes when first driving I think the Ford Racing bushings have to heat up to allow it to flex more. Now that I had the tires balanced it rides much better but still has a slight shake when I first get into the car. I know you have a GT500 so I assume you do not have the Ford Racing sway bar and springs?

I have the 40th Anniversary package which is the Eibach Pro Kit. I am not sure about the bushings. Do you have a lot of wiggle and shake from 60-100 mph?

I have the 40th Anniversary package which is the Eibach Pro Kit. I am not sure about the bushings. Do you have a lot of wiggle and shake from 60-100 mph?

First thing I did was take off the rear coilovers on my 40th. The ride was so bad and the butt was all over the place esp, on the bumps and corners. Put HR springs on and it is back to the way it was before I did the conversion. I had BMR before.

Edited by msmap

I have installed J&M Billet lowers, a strut tower brace, and also the CDC "light bar"...

All have helped to tighten the car up and remove most of the vibration and cowl shake.

You SHOULD however, go and find a good tire shop that has one of the "high-speed road force balancers" (probably not the right name) and have your wheels/tires rebalanced. MOST of them are out of balance from the factory, or your weights may have flung themselves free.

Good luck,

GUS

I will get the tires rebalanced by another shop.

As for the alignment. The front tires do look like they are leaning in. I will have that checked. Does anyone know what the numbers should be for the alignment?

Also, I am getting the Ford Racing strut tower brace. I like the looks. After all of that I will see how the car drives.

What about the other ideas for stiffening the chassis. Has anyone tried anything?

I will get the tires rebalanced by another shop.

As for the alignment. The front tires do look like they are leaning in. I will have that checked. Does anyone know what the numbers should be for the alignment?

Also, I am getting the Ford Racing strut tower brace. I like the looks. After all of that I will see how the car drives.

What about the other ideas for stiffening the chassis. Has anyone tried anything?

Here are the stock alignment specs http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=53&viewfile=SPECIFICATIONS.pdf

There is a reason that Ford has gone to the trouble and expense of adding new bracing and filling the chassis with foam on the 2011 vert. The chassis flex you are experiencing is not in your imagination, nor the alignment, nor the wheels/tires. Numerous articles have been written about the vert's inherent shakiness - Heck, Ford wouldn't even put the larger wheel package or improved suspension on the 2010 vert. For some reason vert owners on this forum tend to shy away from dealing with this problem - like whistling past the graveyard. Maybe they don't drive theirs much. Anyway, I am looking into retrofitting the 2011 improvements onto my '07. I'll let you know if it's possible.11brace3.pdf

11brace.pdf

11brace1.pdf

I'm not sure what kind of windshield/rear view mirror shake bb is experiencing, but excessive toe in can cause a shudder in the front end under certain conditions. If you want to experience this, set your toe in to about 1/2" and take a high speed run. It's possible to check/adjust the toe in yourself without an alignment rack. I've seen guys use alignment plates that mount on the outside of the wheels and telescoping rods that measure from the inside.

There is a reason that Ford has gone to the trouble and expense of adding new bracing and filling the chassis with foam on the 2011 vert. The chassis flex you are experiencing is not in your imagination, nor the alignment, nor the wheels/tires. Numerous articles have been written about the vert's inherent shakiness - Heck, Ford wouldn't even put the larger wheel package or improved suspension on the 2010 vert. For some reason vert owners on this forum tend to shy away from dealing with this problem - like whistling past the graveyard. Maybe they don't drive theirs much. Anyway, I am looking into retrofitting the 2011 improvements onto my '07. I'll let you know if it's possible.11brace3.pdf

Thanks for sharing this info. Please do let us know what you find out. I am sure the shakes can be cured.

As for my car, I am doing another balance and alignment by a good garage with the newest Hunter equipment. I will post the results when it is done.

Thanks. Please let us know your findings because I am also very inetersted in doing this to my 08. Please let us know the total cost also.

Edited by diamondback

Here is a write up for the 2011 verts.

The Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Convertible features enhanced structural rigidity, with lateral stiffness improved by 12 percent versus the 2010 model. The V-brace has been stiffened by adding gussets. The secondary crossmember also has been stiffened, while a front Z-brace has been added, connecting primary and secondary crossmembers. A-pillar stiffening foam has been added to increase rigidity.

The structural improvements to the convertible gave SVT the opportunity to be more sport-oriented in the chassis tuning, without trading comfort. Along with the chassis and structural improvements, the 2011 model also will get standard 19-inch aluminum wheels.

"One of the biggest changes for this Shelby is that the convertible acts and feels like a coupe," said Jamal Hameedi, SVT chief nameplate engineer. "Before, they had a very different character, and the convertible is taking a big step in the sportiness and handling precision area, without degrading the ride."

Here is a write up for the 2011 verts.

The Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Convertible features enhanced structural rigidity, with lateral stiffness improved by 12 percent versus the 2010 model. The V-brace has been stiffened by adding gussets. The secondary crossmember also has been stiffened, while a front Z-brace has been added, connecting primary and secondary crossmembers. A-pillar stiffening foam has been added to increase rigidity.

The structural improvements to the convertible gave SVT the opportunity to be more sport-oriented in the chassis tuning, without trading comfort. Along with the chassis and structural improvements, the 2011 model also will get standard 19-inch aluminum wheels.

"One of the biggest changes for this Shelby is that the convertible acts and feels like a coupe," said Jamal Hameedi, SVT chief nameplate engineer. "Before, they had a very different character, and the convertible is taking a big step in the sportiness and handling precision area, without degrading the ride."

Don't get me wrong, I am sure it is improved....but, I recall reading something very similar about how the Verts were developed alongside the coupes from day one, back in 2005, and that is why the 2005 was the best vert. ever. Back then they said words very similar to today.

I just think it is funny how everytime a new model or improvments come along, they talk about how massive the improvements are, when in fact, they are more baby steps....

Please keep us posted. I'm very interested in this topic.

You have struck (rightly so) a nerve there. The chassis in a vert is inherently a little loose. I notice on my 09' vert that when I hit bumps the door gaps get tighter and looser. Also the inside rearview mirror will have an after shock following a bump. I am not talking about Dukes of Hazard stuff either, just little BS imperfections in the road and such. There will be no easy fix to this is my fear. I lightly drive my car so I don't think it is such a big deal for me. Stiffening may need to be rather substantial to eliminate it (the wiggles). There is some inherent weakness here, not out of balance wheels or front end allignment fixes. One guy sounds like his driveshaft is out of ballance, or maybe the u-joint "Yokes" weren't phased properly when the shaft was manufactured. I have wanted some more horsepower, but don't want to twist an already weak chassis. As far as extra bracing goes... Bolting more weight on the bottom of the car might make you feel better but it will take weld-in sub frame work and perhaps inside cages to get it right. I'm kind of let down, I got my dream car and now there's a better (2011) dream out there. Isn't progress great? BTW I spent a few evenings cleaning rust off the rear axle tubes and the pumpkin which had zero paint on it also. My car has just hit 800 miles and never once has been in the rain, the rust made me kind of crazy, all better now. I paid a lot of money for a car, that should have had a few more details attended to in my opinion.

"Opinions are free and worth every penny" :rant2:

• 2 weeks later...

I had a road force spin balance and alignment. The alignment was out of spec and they were able to get it back. All of the wheels seemed to have "moving" spots to get the balancing correct. When they broke it down and removed the tires from the rims they found that when the tire sensors were placed on my rims they did not cut the excess band. They duct taped it down, about 12 inches worth. The tape had come loose and in each tire there was 12 inches of metal band with duct tape on it flopping around. They actually laughed that someone would do this. See the pic below. This was in each tire and the tape had come off so it was flopping around.

The car drives much better now. It is time to see if I can get the car more solid for road imperfections, bumps and the high horsepower and torque of the SVT Supercharger.

post-9088-127764056833_thumb.jpg

post-9088-127764056833_thumb.jpg

Edited by bradenbb