TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Deposit Down but Still Considerig?

theseeker

Obviously, I am new to this forum and I have a few questions regarding the 2011 Shelby 500 and this will be a long post. Sorry in advance.

First a little background about me. I am 49 years young and I have been an auto enthusiast since the age of seven. I have owned just about every exotic under the sun, with the exception of a Lambo and I never will!

I started with Vette's, gravitated to Porsche's, on to Ferraris and Aston's. I consider myself very fortunate to have owned these emblems and to have been behind the wheel.

About a year a back my wife's SC 2008 RR started to have some electrical-mechanical problems and I told her that a $100k plus vehicle should not be in the shop every month. She challenged to find something that we could use to haul our three dogs in and take care of every thing else a utility vehicle should do. We ended up buying a Ford Flex LTD with Eco-Boost and we love it! We love it so much that we just ordered another one. About the same time I decided that I wanted a true muscle car. My search ended with a Ford GT 500. Enough said and said car is in the process of being converted to a GT 1000.

Fast forward.......I was about to purchase a Caddy CTS-V a couple of days ago and then I said, check your options, your not getting an younger. Low and behold. I go into my local Ford Dealership and they have a new Shelby with the SVT option and just about everything else. Yikes! My inner boy woke up and said buy it. I did not but the deposit is down.

If I buy the Shelby I will be forced to go the Super Snake option. If I buy the Caddy I can the youngsters in the Shelby.

The Caddy is fast, oozes luxury, but the Shelby, well it is a Shelby.

Let me know what you think.

Rock

Obviously, I am new to this forum and I have a few questions regarding the 2011 Shelby 500 and this will be a long post. Sorry in advance.

First a little background about me. I am 49 years young and I have been an auto enthusiast since the age of seven. I have owned just about every exotic under the sun, with the exception of a Lambo and I never will!

I started with Vette's, gravitated to Porsche's, on to Ferraris and Aston's. I consider myself very fortunate to have owned these emblems and to have been behind the wheel.

About a year a back my wife's SC 2008 RR started to have some electrical-mechanical problems and I told her that a $100k plus vehicle should not be in the shop every month. She challenged to find something that we could use to haul our three dogs in and take care of every thing else a utility vehicle should do. We ended up buying a Ford Flex LTD with Eco-Boost and we love it! We love it so much that we just ordered another one. About the same time I decided that I wanted a true muscle car. My search ended with a Ford GT 500. Enough said and said car is in the process of being converted to a GT 1000.

Fast forward.......I was about to purchase a Caddy CTS-V a couple of days ago and then I said, check your options, your not getting an younger. Low and behold. I go into my local Ford Dealership and they have a new Shelby with the SVT option and just about everything else. Yikes! My inner boy woke up and said buy it. I did not but the deposit is down.

If I buy the Shelby I will be forced to go the Super Snake option. If I buy the Caddy I can the youngsters in the Shelby.

The Caddy is fast, oozes luxury, but the Shelby, well it is a Shelby.

Let me know what you think.

Rock

No contest!! There are hundred of thousands of Caddys and only a hand full of SHELBYs. Need I say more?? :hysterical3:

You gotta go with your gut on this one. I'm 54 and have had Porche's, Corvette's, BMW etc. and love the old school muscle. My first car was a red 66 GT Mustang so I'd have to say I came full circle. You will own some thing rare and unique if you SS the Shelby. My only other choice if I could afford it would be the Ford GT.

You gotta go with your gut on this one. I'm 54 and have had Porche's, Corvette's, BMW etc. and love the old school muscle. My first car was a red 66 GT Mustang so I'd have to say I came full circle. You will own some thing rare and unique if you SS the Shelby. My only other choice if I could afford it would be the Ford GT.

+1

I too started off with a 65 Mustang..and came full circle.

My thoughts:

Go find yourself a 2000 Cobra R. This is a beast! Then, get the 2011 with the SVT package! It too is a beast!

+1

I too started off with a 65 Mustang..and came full circle.

My thoughts:

Go find yourself a 2000 Cobra R. This is a beast! Then, get the 2011 with the SVT package! It too is a beast!

if you want something superfast,and big enough for your dogs,consider the Caddy.Ive got an STS-V 2008, and its a real nice car.Very rare too--only made 459 in 2008.Looked at the CTS-V,and its crazy fast--556hp, but a little smaller than the V.Your car interests sound like mine,although mine doesnt have any exotics.My wife and I have a vert fast sportscar vert,GT500,a pu(EXT), an old muscle car and we needed a nice go on a long drive,go to church,dinner,shopping kind of car.The V models fit that bill.So it depnds on what you want, a very fast,very fun,i want to be seen car, or a luxury,fast roomy car---good luck

It doesn't sound like money is an issue for you so since you've had some foreign exotics and want American muscle I would go with the Super Snake. It's one tough looking monster. The only other thing I would consider for you would be the 2011 Dodge Challenger which is rumored to be getting a 6.4 liter(still a rumor, though) but even then the Super Snake would be my first choice. There aren't many around and if resale value is important to you the SS is the clear winner here. Many, myself included, would gladly enjoy being in your present situation!

I don't think you can compare a CTS-V against a GT500SS. I've owned my GT500 since new and it is only driven when I have free time on my hands (not often). The rest of my time is spent driving kids and grandkids around in our minivan or the wifes' Lexus sedan. If I could only have one vehicle then I would choose the CTS-V. It is more versatile than the Mustang platform and is more refined for comfort and noise and it has a longer warranty.

Thanks for all of the replies.

This was never about a comparision, just a reality check for my possible mid-life craziness! My Grandfather was in his mid fifties when he bought a 67 fastback and he loved it.

I purchased the Shelby today and I will be picking it up tomorrow afternoon at 3:30 pm CT. I have contacted Shelby and it will become a SS in a short time. I want to drive it for a while and decide exactly what I want.

I will post some pics tomorrow night and thanks again for everyones input!

Rocky

Thanks for all of the replies.

This was never about a comparision, just a reality check for my possible mid-life craziness! My Grandfather was in his mid fifties when he bought a 67 fastback and he loved it.

I purchased the Shelby today and I will be picking it up tomorrow afternoon at 3:30 pm CT. I have contacted Shelby and it will become a SS in a short time. I want to drive it for a while and decide exactly what I want.

I will post some pics tomorrow night and thanks again for everyones input!

Rocky

WTG!

You'll love it! Can't wait for pics.

WTG!

You'll love it! Can't wait for pics.

I am sure that I will too!

The funny thing was that wife looked at the outside, inside and said " this car is much cooler than the caddy, very retro and you will be much happier with the Shelby." I was stunned to say the least! She really liked the Caddy and she does have a heavy foot from time to time. She also told that she wants to drive every onc in a while.

R

My parents drive a Cadilac. My first car was a 67 coupe and then there were a few different modles in between Jeep, Altima SE-R then I came back to Mustang first an 08 Bullitt then an 07 Shelby GT500 then a 2011 Shelby GT500 and I am glad to stay with the Shelby. Just about the ride with the SVT pack wich mine has very similar to sensation of the ride you get in a Caddy. Just saw you purchased the Shelby you will love it :confused:

My parents drive a Cadilac. My first car was a 67 coupe and then there were a few different modles in between Jeep, Altima SE-R then I came back to Mustang first an 08 Bullitt then an 07 Shelby GT500 then a 2011 Shelby GT500 and I am glad to stay with the Shelby. Just about the ride with the SVT pack wich mine has very similar to sensation of the ride you get in a Caddy. Just saw you purchased the Shelby you will love it :confused:

I know that I will love it, but I failed to mention that I am close to purchasing a 2006 Ford GT 500........

Archived