TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Questions by dummies: post any question here!

66DNA

Question 1: Has anyone installed a harness bar in their 2011 GT500 coupe yet?

Question 2: Do you know if a bar from a 2003 Cobra will fit the same shoulder belt mounts?

My race red is due in mid August and my first track event is at Road America on August 30th. I need to have my "go fast safe" parts in stock when I bring it home for a quick install.

Question 3: I want to down grade from the stock 19" and 20" wheels to 18"x 9.5" wheels all around for road racing. Should I be getting the 2010 convertible wheels so I know they clear the calipers?

Question: What is the widest tire I can run up front? Will 275/40s be OK?

Thanks.

Answer 1: Do not use a harness bar. God forbid you have a roll over however if you did with a harness bar in place you can't slide down and the roof would crush your head and neck. Stick with the 3 point for your first track event.

Answer 2: The 2003 harness bar will not fit in an S-197.

Answer 3: I'm fairly certain that a 2007 GT500 rim will fit on a 2011 and they are 18 x 9.5 with the correct offset and back spacing.

Answer 4: Yes, you can run 275/40/18's up front.

Van

I just realized the other day that the fuel door does not lock with these cars. Since ford has failed to supply us with locks for our fuel door/cap, is anyone using an aftermarket lock for our fuel doors/caps

I guess it's hard to have a locking fuel cap when you have a capless fill system, but my $20000 Mazda has a locking Fuel door...something similar should be included on a $50000 car.

I just realized the other day that the fuel door does not lock with these cars. Since ford has failed to supply us with locks for our fuel door/cap, is anyone using an aftermarket lock for our fuel doors/caps

I guess it's hard to have a locking fuel cap when you have a capless fill system, but my $20000 Mazda has a locking Fuel door...something similar should be included on a $50000 car.

Ford appears to offer a old school style locking cap for $24.99.. Making the capless filler concept that much more annoying.

http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/GfaWeb/catalog.do?prodInfo=Mustang~2011~8U5Z_9C268_B

There is a funnel in the trunk where the spare tire would be. The tip on the funnel will work to open the capless flap and allow you to add in octane boost, injector cleaner, fuel stablizer etc.

Now that I helped answer your question I have one for you, how did you end up with my avatar? :headscratch::redcard:

Edited by GOTVENOMGT500

There is a funnel in the trunk where the spare tire would be. The tip on the funnel will work to open the capless flap and allow you to add in octane boost, injector cleaner, fuel stablizer etc.

Now that I helped answer your question I have one for you, how did you end up with my avatar? :headscratch::redcard:

uummmmm......well......it went something like this. Copy/Paste. :)

What can I say...I like your taste.

Thanks for the input on the funnel BTW.

uummmmm......well......it went something like this. Copy/Paste. :)

What can I say...I like your taste.

Thanks for the input on the funnel BTW.

Hmmm explains why it's an exact match, granted I found the picture on the Internet but took a bit of searching plus I added in the red eye. How unimaginative and lazy of you to "borrow" it. Starting to understand how you were at a lost for how to add in injector cleaner/octane boost into your tank, seeing as there is only a picture of it on the fuel door. Maybe if I had made that my avatar you'd get the memo. Weak :confused:

Hmmm explains why it's an exact match, granted I found the picture on the Internet but took a bit of searching plus I added in the red eye. How unimaginative and lazy of you to "borrow" it. Starting to understand how you were at a lost for how to add in injector cleaner/octane boost into your tank, seeing as there is only a picture of it on the fuel door. Maybe if I had made that my avatar you'd get the memo. Weak :confused:

:busted:

been a while since ive seen someone get owned like that... well done gotvenom.

Wow....didn't mean to piss you off. I will change it. And isn't this the questions by dummies thread? I thought my dumb question fit....maybe I was wrong.

:busted:

been a while since ive seen someone get owned like that... well done gotvenom.

yep....I got owned.

though this would be a different crowd on this forum.

I wouldn't say pissed, perhaps perturbed and only then because it's kinda of cool to use perturbed in a post. Figured I'd bring it to your attention about them being so simlar and perhaps you might change it, then took me being a grumpy old man. What's done is done, don't consider myself to be a mean person. I helped with he funnel question and I'll gladly help again given my limited knowledge.

If you're thinking of avatars, you could always resize one of the great pictures you posted in your introduction thread. The shot of your Shelby with the Welcome to Colorado sign is awesome. If not an avatar, it would look great as a signature picture no doubt. Again didn't mean to come off as a mean person just felt you were crossing the double yellow so I gave a little beep of the horn to let you know.

Welcome to the forum

:shift:

I wouldn't say pissed, perhaps perturbed and only then because it's kinda of cool to use perturbed in a post. Figured I'd bring it to your attention about them being so simlar and perhaps you might change it, then took me being a grumpy old man. What's done is done, don't consider myself to be a mean person. I helped with he funnel question and I'll gladly help again given my limited knowledge.

If you're thinking of avatars, you could always resize one of the great pictures you posted in your introduction thread. The shot of your Shelby with the Welcome to Colorado sign is awesome. If not an avatar, it would look great as a signature picture no doubt. Again didn't mean to come off as a mean person just felt you were crossing the double yellow so I gave a little beep of the horn to let you know.

Welcome to the forum

:shift:

I just don't understand why it was that big of a deal in the first place but no harm done. I didn't have my car at the time and thought yours was cool. I appreciate the help with my question none the less.

Thanks for the input on an avatar. I will see what I come up with.

I just got my 2011 convert last week....I love the car ....but how do you adjust the gurney flap on the spoiler...I just can't seem to make it move?????

1st, why??But i believe that the flaps come with different angles/height,and that the ones on the car are not adjustable--they need to be replaced if you want to experiment with different downforce

• 2 weeks later...

I just don't understand why it was that big of a deal in the first place but no harm done. I didn't have my car at the time and thought yours was cool. I appreciate the help with my question none the less.

Thanks for the input on an avatar. I will see what I come up with.

Wait a sec!!!!!!!......that red eye is from me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by 2sharpie

I just bought a 2011 GT500. Its actually only the 2nd Ford product I have ever owned and so far I'm really impressed.

On every one I see here on the rear of the car below the spoiler it has the word SHELBY. My car doesnt have this. Should it?

Yes it should say "SHELBY" across the top of the trunk lid under the spoiler

2011gt5002.jpg

Ok here is my dumb question.

Since I've switched to my Shelby I've gotten used to a 6 speed, but my daily driver on crappy and winter days is a 5 speed focus. Occasionally when I'm not thinking I'll reach for 6th gear and get a slight grinding to let me know that it's actually reverse I'm going for.

The clutch is fully despressed so it isn't anything on the clutch grinding so what exactly is grinding and how bad is it for my trasnmission to do this occasionally? (Since it's 6th gear and a Ford Focus I'm obviously not jamming it into reverse, just grinding it on the motion of shifting).

Yes it should say "SHELBY" across the top of the trunk lid under the spoiler

2011gt5002.jpg

And his would not be the first SHELBY I've seen on this list that was missing the letters straight out of the factory!

Seems to be a fairly common omission from Ford.

Now, good luck trying to convince the dealer that he needs to get you a set and have them installed.

Phill

what's the best conservatively priced outdoor car cover for my Shelby GT?

(yeah, I know. A garage. But it will no longer be available this fall.)

What about using a heated storage Unit? That's what I'm looking at for mine this winter so I don't have to throw my wife out into the snow :P~

What about using a heated storage Unit? That's what I'm looking at for mine this winter so I don't have to throw my wife out into the snow :P~

Mine's a daily driver so I can't put it in storage. Yep. I drive it in snow storms. It turns into a big white sled. Fun times.

Mine's a daily driver so I can't put it in storage. Yep. I drive it in snow storms. It turns into a big white sled. Fun times.

Ouch. I hope you have some all season tires on that baby atleast. So you plan on covering it every night during the winter with a cover? Do you have the option of a car port or anything? Putting on a car cover and taking it off in freezing weather seems brutal, especially for women who tend to get cold easier and more importantly applying a car cover on a car with dirt/snow/salt buildup is a sure way to scratch your paint to hell and back.

Another option is looking at renting a garage space from a friendly neighbor. I'm looking at that as well, depends on how good of buds you are with them though.

OK I have a stupid question. I picked up my 2010 GT500 on July 30th of this year. I live in Ontario Canada and we require a Front plate by law, Why you ask because Governments are in fact stupid and should probably post all their questions in this area... Any way back to my question, Me dealer was going to take a drill to my front bumper (GASP) I said no F---ing way, so I have the front plate tie wrapped on right now, does anyone know of a bracket or something that will work on the front of the GT 500???? HELP

Is the 5.4 iron block in the gt500 the same block ford uses in their pickup trucks (F250)? I assumed the blocks are the same but the similarities end there...

No, the block is Aluminum, based off of the Ford GT.

"We recently had a chance to sit down with GT500 chief nameplate engineer Jamal Hameedi in his office at SVT's headquarters to learn more about what's new for 2011. Switching to an aluminum block was a bit more complicated than simply digging out the casting molds that were used for the GT. The engine in that 200+ mph supercar used a dry sump lubrication system and featured iron cylinder liners. The new GT500 engine is derived from the structural design of the older block but retains the wet sump system used in other Mustangs. The real magic is something that most owners will likely never actually see."

"The new engine also has its roots in the iconic Ford GT. The new 5.4-liter engine is an evolution of the GT engine, with improved block structure through the use of a unique bulkhead chilled process and six-bolt billet main bearing caps. This new advanced engine will exceed Ford GT performance with its traditional supercharger technology."

OK I have a stupid question. I picked up my 2010 GT500 on July 30th of this year. I live in Ontario Canada and we require a Front plate by law, Why you ask because Governments are in fact stupid and should probably post all their questions in this area... Any way back to my question, Me dealer was going to take a drill to my front bumper (GASP) I said no F---ing way, so I have the front plate tie wrapped on right now, does anyone know of a bracket or something that will work on the front of the GT 500???? HELP

I just got a 2011 Shelby SVT and NYS also requires 2 plates. I ordered a bracket on line from www.dmctag.com It costs $100.00 and they require payment thru paypal. My dealer wanted to drill holes in my car too. We laughed at him.....