TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Questions by dummies: post any question here!

66DNA

From the Shelby supplemental manual:

OCTANE RECOMMENDATIONS

Your vehicle is designed to use

“Premium” unleaded gasoline only,

with an (R+M)/2 octane rating of 91

or higher. SVT recommends using

unleaded gasoline with octane rating

of 93 or higher for optimal performance of this vehicle. Recommended

fuel is an important part of the proper maintenance and optimal

performance of this vehicle. The use of gasoline with an octane rating

lower than 91 can lead to severe mechanical damage to your vehicle,

may degrade vehicle performance, and may affect your warranty

coverage. Please see the Warranty Guide for complete information.

SVT does not recommend the use of gasoline labeled as Premium with

octane ratings of less than 91.

This is interesting! Yesterday I finally got the car out for a steady five miles..driving a steady 60mph. I did not get an activation od my SC from all I can tell. I'm running 91 octane, because I can't fine higher where I'm living in BC.

So, looks like you can use 91 but I'm reasonably sure the engine's computer "de-tunes" the engine accordingly, as you need 93 octane for "optimal" performance. My local service manager told me the car reacts to octane level and ethanol percentage of the fuel. That could explain the "my supercharger isn't turning on yet" complaint that some folks are complaining about even after 500+ miles of driving.

Maybe we can " sticky" this thread for continual dumb questions!

:headscratch:

Good idea....and done.

All right. I have a dumb one. It's been bothering me so here it is: Can you still get a Super Snake package done on a stock 2007, 2008, 2009 or 2010 GT500? I know the numbers were supposed to be limited for this modification but if I decide to pick up a second hand 07-10 can the SS package still be done by SAI on any of those years or have they reached their quotas for each year? Thanks.

Here's a REALLY dumb one and it's for performance; can it be possible to combine ARH long tube headers with and SLP loudmouth exhaust on a GT500?

I looked this setup up on youtube, and I mainly got videos of just the Mustang GT with this setup.

here's a 2007 GT/CS with that setup. I know already that the 4.6 is a 3V and the 5.4 is a 4V

All right. I have a dumb one. It's been bothering me so here it is: Can you still get a Super Snake package done on a stock 2007, 2008, 2009 or 2010 GT500? I know the numbers were supposed to be limited for this modification but if I decide to pick up a second hand 07-10 can the SS package still be done by SAI on any of those years or have they reached their quotas for each year? Thanks.

The Super Snake program is wide open and SA will happly convert any GT500 into a SS.

Here are my questions:

Q: What is the difference between the radiator, the heat exchanger and the intercooler (and what does each one do)?

Q2: Where are each of the above located in the car?

Q3: Why are there two fluid reservoirs inside the engine compartment just behind the grill with red liquid in them?

Thanks (good thread)

-Pockdog

Here are my questions:

Q: What is the difference between the radiator, the heat exchanger and the intercooler (and what does each one do)?

Q2: Where are each of the above located in the car?

Q3: Why are there two fluid reservoirs inside the engine compartment just behind the grill with red liquid in them?

Thanks (good thread)

-Pockdog

Yes, it is a good thread. Ok, I'll bite.

1.Radiator cools engine coolant which is circulated throughout the block/heads by the engine mounted coolant pump. Heat exchanger cools supercharger discharge air coolant. Inter cooler cools the SDP air. (Supercharger Discharge Pressure)

2.Under the hood in front, Under the supercharger for the intercooler. (Also called an integrated intercooler)

3.Don't have my GT500 yet but there is a tank for supercharger discharge air coolant, and there is an engine coolant catch tank for heated and expanded engine coolant which is sucked out by the EDP (Engine Driven Pump) during operation.

Do I win? huh? huh?

Edited by davegt500

The Super Snake program is wide open and SA will happly convert any GT500 into a SS.

Thank you for your response. Now that I know that it broadens the field for potential purchases. It's at the point where I can buy a second hand 07 or 08, get the SS package, and end up having spent only a little bit more than a new GT500 with the SVT PP. Decisions, decisions....

Thank you for your response. Now that I know that it broadens the field for potential purchases. It's at the point where I can buy a second hand 07 or 08, get the SS package, and end up having spent only a little bit more than a new GT500 with the SVT PP. Decisions, decisions....

youre more likely to get your money out of a Snake than th eGt500 over time,plus youll be the only Snake at the car shows.BTW, i think my friend has your GN--is it black?

youre more likely to get your money out of a Snake than th eGt500 over time,plus youll be the only Snake at the car shows.BTW, i think my friend has your GN--is it black?

I'm also a bit wary about the long term reliability and horsepower capability of the aluminum block and plasma tech that's being used. I hope it works out. I really do. But I won't be convinced until later down the line after those new blocks get some longevity and mods done to them. I might have to contact Michael Morris who I have heard good things about. As for the GN--mine was black and if it has a long scratch on the plastic Buick emblem above the glove box(courtesy of GF's high heel) then it's mine!

<chuckle> Yeah, my bet is it's Black.

Phill

i was just tongue in cheek,I know theyre alomst all black, although i did see a white one at a drag race event.

Michael is the guy I bought my car from--he had a snake but sold it last year--call him for info and advice

i was just tongue in cheek,I know theyre alomst all black, although i did see a white one at a drag race event.

Michael is the guy I bought my car from--he had a snake but sold it last year--call him for info and advice

Buick also had the T-Type Regal model which had the same engine, turbo and intercooler as the GN but came in white, silver, burgundy and a few other colors. It was a bit cheaper than the GN and didn't have as many extras but still ran the same as the GN. The GN's have started to come up in value now as well. I paid 16k for mine in 1987 and I see them going for mid-20s and higher now. Boy, I miss that car.

I have some cooked on break dust on the inner area of my rims (2010 coupe with stock rims). What product should I use that will clean off the break dust and still be safe on the rims?

Ive used Mothers wheel cleaner--spray it on when brakes are cool,and let it sit for 5 minutes or so.Then i use 3M scouring pads on the back part of the wheel,dont use them on the utside shiny section, and just rub until the stains come out.It make several treatments.Then use the Armour all wheel treatment product--it keeps the wheels from getting dirty--im sure youll get more suggestions as well. PS itd be much easier taking the wheels off to get leverage,but ive done it on the car if theyre not too bad

I ordered my 2011 gt500 on March 1, I finally got a Vin# about 2 weeks ago. I think I'm getting the runaround, Dealer said car should be on next shipment so i asked them when will that be. They said don't know. would'nt you think they should know when there shipments are getting to there dealership?

I ordered my 2011 gt500 on March 1, I finally got a Vin# about 2 weeks ago. I think I'm getting the runaround, Dealer said car should be on next shipment so i asked them when will that be. They said don't know. wouldn't you think they should know when there shipments are getting to there dealership?

Not really...it rarely shows up exactly on the date that they quote you. I don't think there's any true way for them to give you a solid date...unless they are tracking the car and the delivery is imminent. Just a for instance..the member "RoscoP" was quoted a build date of June28th which is impossible since the Ford plant is shut down in terms of Mustang production - turns out his car was built on 6-17. It seems that communication between the dealers and Ford isn't always reliable.

I wouldn't worry about it, if you got a VIN...you'll get your car eventually. I don't think your Dealer is giving you the runaround.

Not really...it rarely shows up exactly on the date that they quote you. I don't think there's any true way for them to give you a solid date...unless they are tracking the car and the delivery is imminent. Just a for instance..the member "RoscoP" was quoted a build date of June28th which is impossible since the Ford plant is shut down in terms of Mustang production - turns out his car was built on 6-17. It seems that communication between the dealers and Ford isn't always reliable.

I wouldn't worry about it, if you got a VIN...you'll get your car eventually. I don't think your Dealer is giving you the runaround.

Well I guess i'll just keep on waiting, thanks for your words of encouragement.

Ok, here we go, my car is supposed to be here in about a week. I stopped by the dealer to shoot the breeze get a delivery date and try to nail down a price. The salesman promptly added $1,000.00 to the price on the Order Conformation sheet, informing me that that was there cost. So now you see what I am dealing with.

Question #1

What is dealer cost? (2011 coupe w/svt pp and cover) I think it should be somewhere around $46,341.00

Question#2 Is MSRP a pretty common price or should I try to beat them down? and if so how much?

Question #3 What is the average break-in miliage? The goofy salesman told me 1000 mi.

Question #4 What kind of performance mods can you make without voiding the warranty.

I appreciate any advice anyone has to offer in the midst of this crisis Ha Ha

Thanks

Edited by BLUOVLHP

Here's a good one for those of your with a 2010 or 2011. The dome lights I'm assuming them turn on when you unlock the doors like my current 97 does, my question is when the dome lights turn off, do they dim (believe they call them theater lighting) or do they just turn off?

It's really cool...they do dim down slowly..along with mine being a nice blue color (I'm pretty sure you can customize the color along with the dash lights)...really neat looking...and the ambient lighting stays on at night time as well...It does kind of remind me of a movie theater now that you mention it.

The salesman promptly added $1,000.00 to the price on the Order Conformation sheet, informing me that that was there cost. So now you see what I am dealing with.

Dealer -> :club: <-You

Question#2 Is MSRP a pretty common price or should I try to beat them down? and if so how much?

That seems to be the high end of pricing this year. People are getting some cars at or near invoice. Definitely don't pay any mark up.

Question #3 What is the average break-in mileage? The goofy salesman told me 1000 mi.

Actually...I waited til about 1,000 miles to really get on the car at times. But that was just of mine doing...seemed to make sense to let things get all settled in to me. Does that make me a goofy owner? :P

Dealer -> :club: <-You

That seems to be the high end of pricing this year. People are getting some cars at or near invoice. Definitely don't pay any mark up.

Actually...I waited til about 1,000 miles to really get on the car at times. But that was just of mine doing...seemed to make sense to let things get all settled in to me. Does that make me a goofy owner? :P

The car is not an everyday driver, so 1000 mi. just seemed a little high to me that's all. As far as being a Goofy Owner That's still up in the air.

Thanks for your help.

j

It's really cool...they do dim down slowly..along with mine being a nice blue color (I'm pretty sure you can customize the color along with the dash lights)...really neat looking...and the ambient lighting stays on at night time as well...It does kind of remind me of a movie theater now that you mention it.

Thanks for the reply Blue, it's pretty cool you added in the blue led's to you dome light if I'm understanding correctly. Must look great with your grabber blue paint and stripes on the seats. I love these exterior styling of these cars it's just so muscular, now you add in the interior really being so functional with the Sync, Nav, Ambient lighting, My color gauges, automatic temp control on A/C, HID head lights and from what I hear the interior is pretty quiet. I've never been so excited to get a car and doubt I'll ever sell her once I finally get one haha.

Question 1: Has anyone installed a harness bar in their 2011 GT500 coupe yet?

Question 2: Do you know if a bar from a 2003 Cobra will fit the same shoulder belt mounts?

My race red is due in mid August and my first track event is at Road America on August 30th. I need to have my "go fast safe" parts in stock when I bring it home for a quick install.

Question 3: I want to down grade from the stock 19" and 20" wheels to 18"x 9.5" wheels all around for road racing. Should I be getting the 2010 convertible wheels so I know they clear the calipers?

Question: What is the widest tire I can run up front? Will 275/40s be OK?

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply Blue, it's pretty cool you added in the blue led's to you dome light if I'm understanding correctly. Must look great with your grabber blue paint and stripes on the seats. I love these exterior styling of these cars it's just so muscular, now you add in the interior really being so functional with the Sync, Nav, Ambient lighting, My color gauges, automatic temp control on A/C, HID head lights and from what I hear the interior is pretty quiet. I've never been so excited to get a car and doubt I'll ever sell her once I finally get one haha.

Sorry if I wasn't clear...the dome lights are white..all the ambient lighting is blue. But they all dim down together when leaving the car at night.

The interior is actually slightly louder in terms of road noise than what I was used to. But there were improvements in the 2011 model to remedy that..so yours will be quiet I'm sure.

One thing that still amazes me in my car is the fact that the exhaust sounds rather quiet on the inside. They did a great job of keeping that exhaust sound out of the cabin. But if you go around back...you can't believe how much louder it is.

Yeah...you'll definitely be impressed with this car in so many ways.

Ok, here we go, my car is supposed to be here in about a week. I stopped by the dealer to shoot the breeze get a delivery date and try to nail down a price. The salesman promptly added $1,000.00 to the price on the Order Conformation sheet, informing me that that was there cost. So now you see what I am dealing with.

Question #1

What is dealer cost? (2011 coupe w/svt pp and cover) I think it should be somewhere around $46,341.00

Question #3 What is the average break-in miliage? The goofy salesman told me 1000 mi.

Question #4 What kind of performance mods can you make without voiding the warranty.

I appreciate any advice anyone has to offer in the midst of this crisis Ha Ha

Thanks

you can check various places like kelley blue book or edmunds.com. Then heres a 3% holdback they get from Ford.For 2010s most paid MSRP,some got less.If hes trying to hold you up with the $1000 and weird comment about 1000 miles break-in are you sure you want to deal with this guy.Are you sure hes got an allocation for a car--give Blue his name and see if he got any last year,if he didt he wont get any this year.

On the break-in, these cars are broken in at the factory,as far as engine.The only thing id tell you is to vary the speeds for the first few hundred miles .We took a 200 mile trip and i varied from 55 to 80 most of the way.But i went thru the gears up to red line several times early on.

Good question on mods--from a pure warranty viiewpoint, major perfromance mods ,even a canned tune could get you in trouble-Bottom line if anything serious happens, try to take off the mods before the dealer sees them.For me, i like the stock car and just have small things,like JLT intake etc.My experinece with mods is that in the end they make it harder to sell the cars like these,so i steer away from them--but thats just me