TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 Purchase vs. 2011 Purchase Question

F150 Duke

42 members have voted

1. 1. Based on the information below, if you could save $6,000 by purchasing a new 2010 GT500 (just under invoice - $44k) as opposed to a new 2011 GT500 (just under MSRP - $50k) would you do it?

• Yes, I'd purchase a 2010.
    • No, I'd wait and purchase a 2011.
    • I wouldn't buy either and wait for another year with more changes.

Personally I like the black valve covers/blower. The 2011 blower isnt polished, its satin I'm pretty sure, at least the one I seen was satin.

You can do what I do, toss a coin :)

haha, I may not even have that luxury. Looks like only two have been built to my spec so far. That means I either go with the 2010 or special order up against an allocation for my build. But I have to imagine it'll be near impossible to get that special order at $48 or $49 for a $52 MSRP

I pondered back and forth and to make it harder I threw in the 2011 Mustang GT also. I was bouncing back and forth between the 10 GT500 with a $500 car payment, the 11 GT500 with a $600+ car payment or a 2011 GT paid for in cash with no car payment.... This was a hard one, but in the end, I got a deal that made my decision much easier on my 2010 500.

I got the car for $46k (bran new) and it was exactly what I would have ordered if I ordered a new one. Nav, Security and cover in performance white with grabber stripes.

I just couldn't stomach a car payment over $500 ( I have a hard enough time writing a check for $500, but at under 3% I'll keep my money and use the banks) and I knew I wouldn't be happy with a regular GT after owning two 03 Cobras and an 02 Lightning. I had actually gone to the dealer to get information about ordering an 11' GT, but they had my 500 sitting on the showroom, right where it had been sitting for over 250 days.

I'm not in the least bit dissapointed with my decision. The aluminum engine, electronic power steering, better exhaust and better heat exchanger are all great features, but I'm a mod'er. I will no doubt be upgrading the heat exchanger to a Shelby dual pass with fans, the first thing I did when I got home was buy a Magnaflow axle back and I'da done the same with the 11, the SVT package would have been a waste for me because I'm a drag racer, not a road racer and again, half of that crap would have been swapped out eventually for better drag oriented equipment. In the end, I would have been replacing more than half the crap that would have cost me probably $10k more....

I pondered back and forth and to make it harder I threw in the 2011 Mustang GT also. I was bouncing back and forth between the 10 GT500 with a $500 car payment, the 11 GT500 with a $600+ car payment or a 2011 GT paid for in cash with no car payment.... This was a hard one, but in the end, I got a deal that made my decision much easier on my 2010 500.

I got the car for $46k (bran new) and it was exactly what I would have ordered if I ordered a new one. Nav, Security and cover in performance white with grabber stripes.

I just couldn't stomach a car payment over $500 ( I have a hard enough time writing a check for $500, but at under 3% I'll keep my money and use the banks) and I knew I wouldn't be happy with a regular GT after owning two 03 Cobras and an 02 Lightning. I had actually gone to the dealer to get information about ordering an 11' GT, but they had my 500 sitting on the showroom, right where it had been sitting for over 250 days.

I'm not in the least bit dissapointed with my decision. The aluminum engine, electronic power steering, better exhaust and better heat exchanger are all great features, but I'm a mod'er. I will no doubt be upgrading the heat exchanger to a Shelby dual pass with fans, the first thing I did when I got home was buy a Magnaflow axle back and I'da done the same with the 11, the SVT package would have been a waste for me because I'm a drag racer, not a road racer and again, half of that crap would have been swapped out eventually for better drag oriented equipment. In the end, I would have been replacing more than half the crap that would have cost me probably $10k more....

great reasoned choice.I saw another white/grabber and its a very good combo---good luck, and let us know about your mods and drag race times,before and after the mods

Smart choice, good luck w/ your new Shelby!

I understand and agree with your rationale for purchasing the 2010 GT500 over the 2011GT500 but why did you opt for the 2010 GT500 over the 2011 5.0 GT? Since you're a mod'er would it have taken a whole lot more money to mod the 5.0 the way you want over and above the cost of the 2010 GT500 plus the mods? Or was it a looks thing? I recently saw one of the 5.0's with the California package and it looked pretty awesome. I'm just wondering because I'm still contemplating what to do myself. I'm down to these 4: 2009 GT500KR, 2010 GT500, 2011 GT500 and 2011 5.0 GT California package. I'm not criticizing your decision, please don't think that; I'm just looking for ideas to help build a mental framework for what's going to be best for me. Good luck with your car. ;)

I understand and agree with your rationale for purchasing the 2010 GT500 over the 2011GT500 but why did you opt for the 2010 GT500 over the 2011 5.0 GT? Since you're a mod'er would it have taken a whole lot more money to mod the 5.0 the way you want over and above the cost of the 2010 GT500 plus the mods? Or was it a looks thing? I recently saw one of the 5.0's with the California package and it looked pretty awesome. I'm just wondering because I'm still contemplating what to do myself. I'm down to these 4: 2009 GT500KR, 2010 GT500, 2011 GT500 and 2011 5.0 GT California package. I'm not criticizing your decision, please don't think that; I'm just looking for ideas to help build a mental framework for what's going to be best for me. Good luck with your car. ;)

I think it was more of an SVT thing, followed up by a Shelby thing closely contended with by a Supercharged thing and then finally a looks thing.... LOL

As dumb as it sounds, there's just something to be said about being an SVT/Shelby owner that makes the cost a little easier to justify. As specially for someone that has had 3 SVT vehicles in the past and hasn't driven a naturally aspirated vehicle in over 10 years (aside from my D/D Titan).

Ultimately I fell in love with the GT500 interior the most and the styling didn't hurt the case. The 11' GT is a bad machine for the money, there's no doubt about it, but the after market will have a bit of a time catching up to the new engine and ECU firmware which made me a little hesitant along with the idea of buying a completely new engine set up in its first year kind of made me leery. I've since lost my skepticism about that with the power and durability they have already shown, but I still know that I wouldn't have been AS happy with a GT that will most likely have a couple hundred thousand "brothers & sisters" out there on the streets along with it by the time its done.

I think the 11 GT's reputation has really been bolstered by the performance that Evolution has been able to get out of it, but ultimately there aren't really any more of them that are blowing my socks off over the performance that the 500 is known for. I took my car to Atco in the same fashion as when it rolled of the showroom floor and ran 12.40's with it. That was with HORRIBLE 2.1 short times and even worse wheel hop. I honestly think that with a set of DR's or slicks I can get this car into the 11's with no other modifications.

I think it was more of an SVT thing, followed up by a Shelby thing closely contended with by a Supercharged thing and then finally a looks thing.... LOL

As dumb as it sounds, there's just something to be said about being an SVT/Shelby owner that makes the cost a little easier to justify. As specially for someone that has had 3 SVT vehicles in the past and hasn't driven a naturally aspirated vehicle in over 10 years (aside from my D/D Titan).

Ultimately I fell in love with the GT500 interior the most and the styling didn't hurt the case. The 11' GT is a bad machine for the money, there's no doubt about it, but the after market will have a bit of a time catching up to the new engine and ECU firmware which made me a little hesitant along with the idea of buying a completely new engine set up in its first year kind of made me leery. I've since lost my skepticism about that with the power and durability they have already shown, but I still know that I wouldn't have been AS happy with a GT that will most likely have a couple hundred thousand "brothers & sisters" out there on the streets along with it by the time its done.

I think the 11 GT's reputation has really been bolstered by the performance that Evolution has been able to get out of it, but ultimately there aren't really any more of them that are blowing my socks off over the performance that the 500 is known for. I took my car to Atco in the same fashion as when it rolled of the showroom floor and ran 12.40's with it. That was with HORRIBLE 2.1 short times and even worse wheel hop. I honestly think that with a set of DR's or slicks I can get this car into the 11's with no other modifications.

None of it sounds dumb at all. Makes perfect sense. I, too, have wondered about the reliability of the aluminum block. It'll be interesting to see reports of its durability down the road. I used to live in Philly and remember ATCO well. Try Englishtown too, although you probably have. You'll get in the 11s with tires and practice for sure. With mods you can alleviate some wheel hop as well. And remember: Do not make the mistake I did of parking your ride at the King of Prussia Mall. You'll end up walking home! ;)

It sounds like the 2010 would meet your bottom line$$$$$. You like the wider stripes and the ride of the stock suspension. As stated above you can change the valve covers to blue. Have you looked at the new mufflers on the 2011 compared to the 2010. Take a close look a both cars and you tell me which one looks better. The 2011 hang down below the valance and the back end doesn't look near as clean.

I did the TSB on the front lower control arms and there was a 2011 next to mine. I did a lot of comparing. This one had the stripe delete and the SVT package. Oh, don't forget the little bubble mirror in the uppper corner of the mirror. I didn't care for the looks of the rear head rest because you would have to drive with them down and it just looks, well, dumb. I don't think the head rest fit the rest of the styling of the car. No matter which one you chose, you won't regret it. The car is a blast to drive. :shift:

It sounds like the 2010 would meet your bottom line$$$$$. You like the wider stripes and the ride of the stock suspension. As stated above you can change the valve covers to blue. Have you looked at the new mufflers on the 2011 compared to the 2010. Take a close look a both cars and you tell me which one looks better. The 2011 hang down below the valance and the back end doesn't look near as clean.

I did the TSB on the front lower control arms and there was a 2011 next to mine. I did a lot of comparing. This one had the stripe delete and the SVT package. Oh, don't forget the little bubble mirror in the uppper corner of the mirror. I didn't care for the looks of the rear head rest because you would have to drive with them down and it just looks, well, dumb. I don't think the head rest fit the rest of the styling of the car. No matter which one you chose, you won't regret it. The car is a blast to drive. :shift:

Ended up getting a 2011 for $529 over invoice!

I don't understand why everyone is raving about the svt package! whats the big deal? Its just another way to get more money out of people. Imo most people modify these cars anyway. The gt500 is already a great car at a fair price,but now its going overbored with the 2011.

Archived