TEAM SHELBY FORUM

5.4 aluim. block, bigger tires/rims and better suspension

1badsho

I was thinking .. and you all know this is dangerous. :banana piano:

Instead of then way our shelby's came stock from the factory, Ford easily could have added bigger rims and tires esp for the rear as well as better suspension for the front and rear of the car to make it handle just a tad better and to remove wheel hop ...etc !

And .... and this is going beyond my knowledge .... but couldnt have ford tooled a 5.4 block in aluim .... not the GT block ... for i think there were both money and fit issues with this block ...

IF ford had done this ... what would it have added to the bottom line price ? Im thinking maybe $6000 .... +/-

The wheels/tires and better suspension maybe $1000 more ?

So what would have been the final result ?

A car with better front to rear weight ratios and that weighed about 150-200 pds lighter. A car that would hook up even with a Stage I ... possibly stage II set up ... and obviously do to less weight ... a much faster and quicker car both in the 1/4 mile and on road course.

I personally would have paid an extra $7000-8000 more for my car if the car came stock this way. Wouldnt have batted a eye.

What says the list ?

Inquiring minds want to know !

dond

Instead of then way our shelby's came stock from the factory, Ford easily could have added bigger rims and tires esp for the rear as well as better suspension for the front and rear of the car to make it handle just a tad better and to remove wheel hop ...etc !

And .... and this is going beyond my knowledge .... but couldnt have ford tooled a 5.4 block in aluim .... not the GT block ... for i think there were both money and fit issues with this block ...

IF ford had done this ... what would it have added to the bottom line price ? Im thinking maybe $6000 .... +/-

A car with better front to rear weight ratios and that weighed about 150-200 pds lighter. A car that would hook up even with a Stage I ... possibly stage II set up ... and obviously do to less weight ... a much faster and quicker car both in the 1/4 mile and on road course.

I personally would have paid an extra $7000-8000 more for my car if the car came stock this way. Wouldnt have batted a eye.

What says the list ?

dond

Would have added a lot more than 6k thats for sure. A new aluminum block DOHC 5.4 for a limited production car would alone add 3k per car. At least thats what we were told for the 4.6 Aluminum DOHC in the 96-98 Cobras.

The larger tires and wheels would have added considerably as they would have to be installed off site. The plant cannot currently mount anything larger than an 18.

From Ford's perspective the current suspension DOES represent the optimum balance between cost, performance and warranty issues. Better for you is not necessarrily better for all.

I have had to modify every performance vehicle I have ever owned to bring it to my personal idea of optimum. It will never agree with what the manufacture thinks or the mass market customer.

The car is a canvas for your paint brush. Start painting and enjoy the car.

Something simple to think of. A mustang is supposted to be a vehicle for the masses. It's supposed to be a muscle car for everyone. The Shelby name in this day and age, with the 50 grand sticker and 15-20 grand ADM has gotten away from that. Adding another 7-10 grand would really push it way over the top. Then the ADM's would be 30-50 grand right now after 8 months of production. Yea it would be a sweet car no doubt. Just alittle to far of base IMHO.

Do you think it would have been a "give and take" between the wheels and tires and the Al. block on the issue of weight?

I don't know if I would have wanted bigger wheels and tires. The 18's ride nice but I would like some thing a little more stylish. Aluminum Blocks would have Been nice but I know I would have paid more for upgraded Rods and ARP components.

I wouldn't personally take those options for 6k from the factory. I would have paid for upgraded rods though! Oohh say something rated in the range of 800-1000rwhp. I'll handle the rest of upgrades from there. :headspin:

Ya ... didnt think of the rods .... since we all know that the majority of the forum will do at least a Stage I kit from one of the tuners.

Thats "THE" reason why I havent done the Stage II kit with the pullie ... I need to be 100% sure that this motor can take the additional HP and torque. I realize too that even a bone stock shelby could break something but that would be a abnomality and not the norm.

Everything I have read about these motors are that they are safe up to about 650-700rwhp ..... and thats keeping the Rev's down ... Ive heard its the revs that can hurt the rods

dond

Ford did not have the capacity to build the alum. GT blocks and keep up with production. They were milled at a Ford plant that mainly/normally does prototype work (I know a gentleman that works there).

The rods have been holding up just fine thus far. I wish AAI was set up for 19" rims though.

I'll be honest and say that I'm holding back on serious power mods until I actually hear of a legitimate engine failure, explosion, etc... I give credit to the pioneers out there who are pushing these cars to their limits. It really paves the way for the rest of us who are either a little more conservative or just not as deep in the pockets for engine rebuilds. I love hearing about people putting down 550, 600, 700 rwhp. It's really encouraging. While I wait for the first few motors to go up to engine heaven I've decided to do some BMR suspension upgrades. I have a good friend who is doing a group buy and we are getting a VERY nice discount. :shift: PM me if you're interested and i'll send you his contact info. The order will be placed on 02/12/07.

What says the list ?

dond

Lets just push the ADMS a little more!!!!!!!!!!! We can do all the mods our self and save big$$$$$$$$$$$$ The alum block is the only cool thing here and we can buy that too if 200 lbs is worth the cash??????

I think the rods will be just fine, as long as everybody keeps it in the 6250 RPM range. They've had the Lightning and Cobra to look back on to see where the problems were. I really can't see them making this engine with stronger pistons but weaker rods than the Cobra, it just doesn't make any sense. :shrug:

Ford knows that they are going to make a ton on upgrades through FRPP with the current car. If they added all the mods from the factory, there goes the high margins on the FRPP parts (gears, exhaust, etc.). That's why I really liked the "R" concept they had on the Cobra a while back....make it optional for the hard core folks that want the basic race car. I think they wanted this car to appeal to those baby boomers with aching joints...so many of them want it quiet and comfortable. Want to get rid of 100 lbs on this car quickly, take the A/C out. Do you think they'd do that from the factory...heck no.

It's a good idea...I just think people have vastly different ideas about what they'd want to see.

Dave

Greetings,

I would be willing to pay more for a hotter factory version of the Shelby, but am happy with the car with the iron block as is too. With the ADMs though, that kind of eats up that extra money and it would start to get hard, though not impossible, to justify paying that much for the car. If the increase came out of the ADM, sure LOL.

200 lbs off the the front cant hurt. :happy feet: Rims and tires, I think I'm going to enjoy picking those myself. The more exotic you make the car though, the less reliable and streetable it will become and so I think Ford struck the right balance. For very little money you can turn this car into a 700 hp drag strip monster if you so desire, or you can just keep your comfy 500hp beast that I think rides like a cadillac. Of course I daily drive a Dodge 3500 van that'll rattle your fillings out on the bumps, so everything else seems like a soft riding caddy to me! :hysterical:

Want to get rid of 100 lbs on this car quickly, take the A/C out. Do you think they'd do that from the factory...heck no.

It's a good idea...I just think people have vastly different ideas about what they'd want to see.

Dave

In the southern US thats not an option. You'd sweat so much driving around you'd need drain holes in the floor pans in Florida. :hysterical2:

KC666

Archived