TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gauging interest in Carbon Fiber Rad. extensions

Tucker

Gauging interest in Carbon Fiber Radiator cover extension

As you may or may not know we offer a replacement real Carbon Fiber radiator cover for the 05-09 Mustang, but not the extensions to cover above the headlight area.

Seen here on a GT500: tn_CF%20Extensions%20028.jpg

Hundreds of you have the Carbon Fiber Radiator cover we offer and we are thinking about running the matching carbon fiber extensions as well. Price will be just like the GT500 units at $199 for the pair and all mounting hardware. This gives a nice finished carbon look across the entire front end of the car.

The tooling and manufacturing process is very expensive, so I would like to know the amount if interest in this before we get started.

We have received several calls about them, so interest seems to be there and if we go ahead we will do a pre order discount on the first run of covers.

So please just let me know if you have the radiator cover and if you have interest in the extensions to match.

Thank you

Jay Tucker

dont expect many people to buy them for $200 and have to drill holes in them........ :salute:

Considering 99% of the 05-09 Mustangs on the road are not SGT's and don't have hood pins I'd say we'll be ok.

Plus the SGT hood pins are in the rad cover, not the extensions.

A member here did the install and posted a nice detailed write up on doing it to the rad cover. Looked great!

The last thing I need to do is drill hole in a CF part only to have the pins on the car be off a little from the norm. Remember humans built the SGT. :) Not all parts are in the same exact spot, so it's better for each customer to take a few measurements and modify them per their car.

It's easy to do.

Just thought I should include the SGT guys in the info.

Thanks

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good Jay. Nice attention to detail with the grain of the weave moving in the same direction as the rad cover.

im in need of a set just a question i think these will cover the engine CSM badge so if people want these they would have to also cut out the CSM area (if they wanted them seen). and yes I do have the rad cover and like was said its only for the customer to cut and do because all the pins are a little different in placement and 1/4 inch deviation is prolly the norm

i used the origional rad cover as the template and cut it from there

Considering 99% of the 05-09 Mustangs on the road are not SGT's and don't have hood pins I'd say we'll be ok.

Plus the SGT hood pins are in the rad cover, not the extensions.

A member here did the install and posted a nice detailed write up on doing it to the rad cover. Looked great!

The last thing I need to do is drill hole in a CF part only to have the pins on the car be off a little from the norm. Remember humans built the SGT. :) Not all parts are in the same exact spot, so it's better for each customer to take a few measurements and modify them per their car.

It's easy to do.

Just thought I should include the SGT guys in the info.

Thanks

Jay

How easy is it to cut cleanly? What do you use and or recommend? Last thing I want to do is cut into it and the edges start crumbling and look like crap on something I paid a couple hundred bucks for.

Dan

They can easily be trimmed using a dremal or small cut off wheel. Then a barrel role sander on the dremal to clean up the edges.

As for the Shelby tag. I don't think it will look good cutting a hole in the cover as there will be a gap down to the radiator support. The tag is just rivited on, so I would drill out the rivits and then rivit it on the CF extension right where it normally would be :)

Cutting CF is pretty easy using a drill and a cutting wheel or grinder on a dremel. The edge of the cut my fray but this can be corrected with some light sanding. If the cut edge is still rough find some black edging simular to what is on the heat shield for the airfilter and run it along the edge.

• 3 weeks later...

As for the Shelby tag. I don't think it will look good cutting a hole in the cover as there will be a gap down to the radiator support. The tag is just rivited on, so I would drill out the rivits and then rivit it on the CF extension right where it normally would be :)

Sorry, No I would not do what you suggest. I think removal of the CSM tag to put it on the extension is a bad idea and lends itself to theft and questions about the originality of your Shelby.

Here's my old install thread from when I installed the JLT carbon fiber radiator cover and cut the holes for the hood pins: http://www.teamshelb...ge__p__727768__

Cutting the holes is a lot easier when you have the original radiator cover to use as a template. The fit and finish of this piece is top notch.

I've still got it installed a year later and still get lots of positive comments on it. (Man, I can't believe that was only a year ago...)

Anyway, Jay, I'm definitely interested in the extension pieces. I suppose I'd modify the driver's piece for the CSM tag and also modify the passenger piece for the power steering fluid reservoir (due to the Paxton required relocation of that tank).

But this stuff is awfully easy to cut with a Dremel, so that's no big deal. I'm glad you're offering these for the 3V crowd. salute.gif

IMG_0218.jpg

I don't see any place for the hood prop to secure to on the extensions or on the radiator cover, so I am assuming that if you purchase these, you will also have to purchase a set of hood lifts...

Yeah that's correct.

Archived