TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Time for a new clutch. Recommendations?

jamesb

Time for a clutch. This one lasted 10,000 miles. My car is driven on the street, but not in a city. It has a full Griggs racing kit, 305 rear tires, and about 500rwhp. I don't really know about clutch tech, so I'd be grateful for any advice / thoughts / lectures too :-)

Thanks!

Jamesb

Time for a clutch. This one lasted 10,000 miles. My car is driven on the street, but not in a city. It has a full Griggs racing kit, 305 rear tires, and about 500rwhp. I don't really know about clutch tech, so I'd be grateful for any advice / thoughts / lectures too :-)

Thanks!

Jamesb

Spec clutch.. super action and feels better than original with actually less foot pressure.. Pete

Before this happened I was getting a chirping noise when I'd drop the clutch in first, which I've read means something about the throwout bearing. Does this mean it might not be the clutch?

jamesb

Replace the throw out bearing everytime.. Clutch wear depends upon how you drive.. Are you a madman to your tires and rear end? Do you drive like my mother? answer lies here.. A new clutch will make yoiu feel good also..Pete

Hey Alex, Got a question about the breakin for the Spec D SS.. It does makes a little noise when pushed in.. Will that subside??

It does feel a bit stiffer than stock to me.. Thats the first thing I noticed.. It also feels badass.. It grabs right now..

Spec Twin SS hands down...O have installed almost 30 of them...less pedal effort than stock and no chatter or hiss...$2K installed at my shop...you've got my #...

Alex

This is not true at all.

Pedal effort is higher with the Spec SS

Also, there is no hiss but you do get ALOT more gear rollover noise.

Chatter is about the same as the factory 07-09 clutches

I just took a Spec SS out of my car and am selling it for anyone interested in used stuff

I have the 2010 kit and there is no substitue, especially true if you have a street car. Think twice people before speding the money on a Spec. Spec is a good clutch as far as performance but not even in the same league for every day use as say the 2010 kit.

Sorry I just don't want someone to waste $2k for a spec and labor when they could get a 2010 kit for a little more

Just my humble opinion

Hey Alex, Got a question about the breakin for the Spec D SS.. It does makes a little noise when pushed in.. Will that subside??

It does feel a bit stiffer than stock to me.. Thats the first thing I noticed.. It also feels badass.. It grabs right now..

That is all par for the course, will not change.

Mine did great at the track, like you said, it GRABS!

My experience with a Spec clutch is based on my 4.6L, GT/SC, not the 5.4 GT 500, but your experience could be quite like mine, which is ongoing at this time.

I wouldn't have a Spec clutch installed in my car again if they gave it to me for free and threw in a Keno girl and a bottle of tequila too. Do an internet search on them and you'll find many dissatisfied customers. I had a stage 3 plus clutch and aluminum flywheel installed and it lasted 1200 miles. It was "grabby" and noisy from the day I got it back from SAI. After two weeks with this clutch, I contacted both Spec and SAI and was assured that it needed more time to break-in and the noise was inherent to all GT Mustangs. Later, I had some mechanics listen to the noise and drive my car and nobody thought the clutch sounded "normal" or operated properly. I went to change it out last week and this is what I found below. If you had great luck with yours, I'm happy for you, but many haven't been so fortunate. There are as many dissatisfied customers with Spec clutches as those found to be content with their clutches and customer service. I'm going with the Ram twin disc this time, cost is $1200. Spec stage 3 plus is close to $550. You get what you pay for. Clutch installation from Ford is 4 1/2 hours.

post-26281-127583646907_thumb.jpg

post-26281-127583648089_thumb.jpg

post-26281-127583646907_thumb.jpg

post-26281-127583648089_thumb.jpg

so, one member has installed 30 super twin kits and extremely satisfied, along with other members too and one guy thinks there are garbage........I'd say the installer is a hack for the one guy. As for the Spec Stage 3, it's a single disc kit for the 4.6, not the same as the super twin kits so can't compare :headscratch:

so, one member has installed 30 super twin kits and extremely satisfied, along with other members too and one guy thinks there are garbage........I'd say the installer is a hack for the one guy. As for the Spec Stage 3, it's a single disc kit for the 4.6, not the same as the super twin kits so can't compare :headscratch:

You are correct, Spec stage 3 plus is a single disc. Single, double, triple - the quality inherent with Spec is "iffy" at best in my opinion.. The Ram I went to is a dual disc. Horsepower is horsepower though, so whether it's a 4.6L, 5.4L or 6.2, having a clutch that operates properly, and has some longevity is the key. There are many single disc manufacturers out there with single disc clutches that claim they are reliable for 700 and 800HP engines. Multi-layer disc clutches are the way to go in high HP engines. I should have realized this from my bikes. They all have six to eight clutch disc assemblies.

Buy the best clutch for your application so you won't look back later.

Thanks. As I said, I have never had a problem with the Twin SS from Spec. I own a Mustang shop and have installed many on TS members cars, no one has not liked the Spec Twin SS...When I fry the clutch in my 10, I will put a Twin SS in it to....

Alex

You are correct, Spec stage 3 plus is a single disc. Single, double, triple - the quality inherent with Spec is "iffy" at best in my opinion.. The Ram I went to is a dual disc. Horsepower is horsepower though, so whether it's a 4.6L, 5.4L or 6.2, having a clutch that operates properly, and has some longevity is the key. There are many single disc manufacturers out there with single disc clutches that claim they are reliable for 700 and 800HP engines. Multi-layer disc clutches are the way to go in high HP engines. I should have realized this from my bikes. They all have six to eight clutch disc assemblies.

Buy the best clutch for your application so you won't look back later.

Hey guys, I'm on my 4th clutch in 4 yrs.. While my engine was out I decided to replace the stock clutch. It was about 50% after 1 year. Lots of track time. I like the way the Spec D SS feels. I just installed a new one 2 days ago. There is a bit of noise for me when I push the clutch peddle in.. Brand new w/ no hacker doing the install. One of the best SVT guys in Wa. state. It is a bit stiffer that stock IMO. The new stock clutches are strong and smooth however I think if your going to drag the car at the strip you will gain with the Spec at launch.. Plus if you've priced new stock clutches the Spec is the way to go IMHO..

I've had good service from RAM clutch installed last year. 600RWHP and no issues. There is a rattle when the clutch pedal is fully depressed. I don't beat it too hard but when I do it works well. Easier to leave stop signs and traffic lights SMOOTHLY. I have been told it is not as strong or reliable as the SPEC but have 0 problems.

Anyone have word when FRP will have the clutch kits back available? They pulled the kits based on the 07 GT500 parts and are supposed to have a kit based on the 2010 parts 'any time now' but have not even seen a part number yet. Maybe someone here is in the know....

• 3 months later...

Well what I know for sure is, my car has 28K on it and its had all Ford can do to fix the problem and I'm done with watching it sit on a rack, it was apart last time for 3 weeks waiting for parts.

Anyway, if it was up to me I'd rather have the original clutch back, it hooked up hard and when it came out it as still useable, after like 15K, but they gave me a new one with the update kit so I took it, and after driving a day or so I asked for the old one back, that clutch lasted a year and was junk, slipped too much, now I get the 2010 update, which doesn't work worth a ........ Don't get me wrong, your Mom could drive it, it doesn't chatter at all, but it doesn't release worth a S--- you better have the pedal in the carpet or you're gonna grind a gear under load. I started it cold the other day and it was in gear with the clutch depressed and the car moved 6".

Ford says they think its the trans so we'll see, I told them they can install a new one if they want, all I know is it didn't do it with the old clutches.

Anyway, I opted for the Super twin myself, SFG5SST, we'll find out this week how it works.

Anyone have word when FRP will have the clutch kits back available? They pulled the kits based on the 07 GT500 parts and are supposed to have a kit based on the 2010 parts 'any time now' but have not even seen a part number yet. Maybe someone here is in the know....

I tried to find the FRP clutch which is supposidly the '07 clutch with no luck, the 2010 kit is what they put in my car.

Want it?

The truth about Spec clutches. Its a work of art as far as clutches go. Between three technicians. With a combined experience of over a decade.. We all agreed on one thing. Spec clutch is a bad ass clutch. We checked it out from one end to the other. With calipers and straight edge. Its the real deal. Yes its a racing clutch and will grab and make noise. But will take what ever you throw at it. It is a true racing clutch. If all you do is drive back and forth to work and a occasional drive on Sunday to do a burn out. Then its not the clutch for you. If your run 600 + HP and need a clutch to use all 600 +. Then you found a clutch that will handle it. Its called Spec super twin. :salute:

I am going with the SPEC Super Twin P-trim. After totally frying my stock clutch for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure event here in Cincinnati. I fried the clutch after 5 runs down the strip. :cry:

I am running the the new Vortech 3.3L S/C and carbon fiber CAI...It puts out 700+ rwhp and 660 lbs torque..For the addittional $200.00 it is worth getting the P-trim if you have huge horsepower and toque. :happy feet:

Archived