TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch Toast???

bpmurr

I talked with Ford Customer Service. They can't do anything as they said SVT denied the claim as well as the regional rep. The dealer won't request them to examine the part. They either will sell me the part at cost plus labor for a total of $1207.00 or leave the car outside for me to pickup and I can have a rollback come and get it.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I don't want to put another stock clutch back in if it's going to fail like that. Nobody at Ford seems to give a damn.

Maybe try a clutch from the Shelby Store?

http://www.shelbystore.com/category-s/44.htm

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I talked with Ford Customer Service. They can't do anything as they said SVT denied the claim as well as the regional rep. The dealer won't request them to examine the part. They either will sell me the part at cost plus labor for a total of $1207.00 or leave the car outside for me to pickup and I can have a rollback come and get it.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I don't want to put another stock clutch back in if it's going to fail like that. Nobody at Ford seems to give a damn.

Maybe the independent 3rd party report and contact from a Lawyer would

help change some attitudes??????????

The lawyer would probably cost more than replacing the clutch.

Fill out a small claims court suit - chances are all a judge would have to see is a few independent inspections from reputable, high-volume shops to see whats happening. Usually only costs a little up front, and I would personally name the GM of the dealer, the head technician, and the regional rep in the suit.

If it was replacement of the whole car - you are looking at a lot of money. Something like this, sounds like a small claims court issue to me.

Did you get my PM suggestion??thats what Id do---bob

That really saddens me to hear that. I thought ford would step up and do the right thing. I guess I'll have to treat my $50,000 performance car like a trailer queen from now on. I love how in the svt owners manual for the car they sort of encourage you to run these cars and it won't affect the warranty. If I wanted to worry about clutch problems, I could have saved $15,000 dollars and bought a camaro.

any change in status--hope you have your car bacjk fixed and under warranty

I received a call from the Ford Executive Office. I talked with Lynn and she said that because of my pulley upgrade and driving habits (How would they know this?) my warranty claim won’t be honored. I explained my situation in more detail, and told her I just drive the car a lot as a daily driver and not out hot rodding it. She is going to see if there is any assistance Ford can offer me being that I’m a loyal customer.

As of right now a OEM replacement clutch won't ship until 6/30/10.

I received a call from the Ford Executive Office. I talked with Lynn and she said that because of my pulley upgrade and driving habits (How would they know this?) my warranty claim won’t be honored. I explained my situation in more detail, and told her I just drive the car a lot as a daily driver and not out hot rodding it. She is going to see if there is any assistance Ford can offer me being that I’m a loyal customer.

As of right now a OEM replacement clutch won't ship until 6/30/10.

im betting her immediate answer about not honoring the warranty was a "lawyer" answer, they dont want to start replacing evryones clutch who put a pulley et al--but youll get "assistance" as a marketting one-of type deal.Lets hope--at least you got an audience,and I think in the end youll be OK---bob

im betting her immediate answer about not honoring the warranty was a "lawyer" answer, they dont want to start replacing evryones clutch who put a pulley et al--but youll get "assistance" as a marketting one-of type deal.Lets hope--at least you got an audience,and I think in the end youll be OK---bob

Ford needs to step up before something drastic happens..........like Autoblog or Jalopnik gets wind of this and posts it (hint hint). Then they'll be shamed into doing something.

I just got off the phone with Lynn again. She said Ford will not fix the clutch under warranty or provide any assistance through other means to fix it. Their engineers have reviewed the pictures and determined their was no part failure. That the wear was due to the pulley swap. The only thing they will do is offer me an extended service plan for free on the 2011 Fiesta I have on order. Lynn is trying to find me someone technical to explain it to me. I don't understand how this thing is burnt up after 9500 miles of mixed driving.... :(

Are these cars that sensitive?

I just got off the phone with Lynn again. She said Ford will not fix the clutch under warranty or provide any assistance through other means to fix it. Their engineers have reviewed the pictures and determined their was no part failure. That the wear was due to the pulley swap. The only thing they will do is offer me an extended service plan for free on the 2011 Fiesta I have on order. Lynn is trying to find me someone technical to explain it to me. I don't understand how this thing is burnt up after 9500 miles of mixed driving.... :(

sorry for you bro--that really sucks---bob

sorry for you bro--that really sucks---bob

Yeah it does. Ford shows about zero loyalty to their customers. I didn't realize I bought a car that needed to be babied. From the problems I had on delivery and now this has been a terrible ownership experience. At this point I'm canceling my Fiesta order, selling the GT500, and buying something else that's not a Ford. It's seems that Ford is more worried about $1207.00 now then my buying power for the next 40 years of driving. The only way they want to do anything for me is if I buy another car. They need to make this issue right first before I even think about stepping into a Ford or anyone else in my immediate family.

Between my father, mother, sister, brother-in-law, and girfriend we have the following.

1967 Cougar XR-7 GT

1969 Cougar Vert

1997 Cougar XR-7

1999 Grand Marquis

2004 Monterey

2005 Mustang GT

2005 Sable

2006 Mariner

2006 Mountianeer

2007 Milan

2009 Milan

2010 GT500

Are these cars that sensitive?

I could have told you the second I seen the pics of the clutch they were not going to cover it, the mods were the final nail in the coffin. I would have swapped the stock pulley back on and put the stock tune back in, I totally agree the clutch should have no problem handling a little extra power but the way the dealer sees it is extra power = racing/beating on the car. The warranty is not a license to beat it up until it dies and get it fixed for free, I'm sure thats not the way you treated the car but many many people do. I have had people bring in cars with nitrous bottle brackets/lines still in the car, time slips in the console and rubber on the quarters plus a blown up rear end swear they never raced the car and it should be covered.

First mistake was bringing the car in there with a pulley, second was posting about it all over the internet. I'm pretty sure someone at SVT and Ford glance over these forums, if you get on here saying you have a pulley/tune and Ford gave you a new clutch at 9500 miles than everyone else would expect the same. Personally if the car was still drivable I would have waited with my fingers crossed for a clutch TSB if they are in fact too weak at even mildly increased power. Everyone will find out soon enough when more of these get modded, raced and see more mileage, if the clutches crap out early they may do a TSB like the earlier cars but right now you are int he minority.

just another thought,if youve bought all these cars from the same dealer,or at least alot of them, maybe they'd split the costs with you somehow--you offer to pay the material costs and they provide the labor--the dealer stands to lose a very good family of customers at this point---sad really,but lawyers rule the world in big corp now,as well as our country--no sensitivity to people

but lawyers rule the world in big corp now,as well as our country--no sensitivity to people

So replace the clutch and then sue Ford in small claims court for the money it cost you. It would be way more expensive for Ford to send a lawyer to represent them. If they don't show, then you get a default judgment for the amount you ask for. I am sure the court can give you some guidance on how to go about collecting the money.

I want to take a minute and clear some things up. People have said my dealer Crouse Ford screwed me over trying to get this repair covered under warranty and that’s not true. I’ve talked with both the service manager and general manager of the dealership. The service manager went through the normal warranty process for the part. Being that my car is most likely the first 2010 with a burnt up clutch it was flagged in the system. SVT wanted pictures of the clutch and other things like the engine bay. Upon reviewing those pictures they determined they would not warranty the clutch. The service manager went back and forth with Ford trying to get it covered. The general manager even spoke with the Ford executive office and got the same answer. He is pretty upset about this as well. Ford won’t offer anything to me but an extended warranty on the 2011 Fiesta I have on order. Basically I have to spend another $17k and they still haven’t addressed the current issue. I’m working with my dealer on some other options now. I’ve had some family issues to take care of so this really hasn’t been a top priority at the moment. They can’t even get the clutch in because it’s on back order until 6/30 at the earliest.

I want to take a minute and clear some things up. People have said my dealer Crouse Ford screwed me over trying to get this repair covered under warranty and that’s not true. I’ve talked with both the service manager and general manager of the dealership. The service manager went through the normal warranty process for the part. Being that my car is most likely the first 2010 with a burnt up clutch it was flagged in the system. SVT wanted pictures of the clutch and other things like the engine bay. Upon reviewing those pictures they determined they would not warranty the clutch. The service manager went back and forth with Ford trying to get it covered. The general manager even spoke with the Ford executive office and got the same answer. He is pretty upset about this as well. Ford won’t offer anything to me but an extended warranty on the 2011 Fiesta I have on order. Basically I have to spend another $17k and they still haven’t addressed the current issue. I’m working with my dealer on some other options now. I’ve had some family issues to take care of so this really hasn’t been a top priority at the moment. They can’t even get the clutch in because it’s on back order until 6/30 at the earliest.

youll be in my prayers on the family issues, a car is just a car---bob

youll be in my prayers on the family issues, a car is just a car---bob

Thanks so much. It has been very difficult the last few weeks. Like you said a car is just a car at the end of the day.

Sorry about your situation, in my opinion Ford should make it right for you.

If it were me I would ask around and find the best aftermarket clutch I could find from Shelby or Spec or ?? and move on.

Life is too short and this type of thing doesn't help.

Ted

I agree we tend to get caught up in these cars because let's face it...we have GT500's not Prius. Family issues and the like put things back in perspective. I hope it all works out for you. The dealer sounds like he went above and beyond but I'd still cancel the other order and let Ford corperate know about it.

Since the OEM clutch seems to be on never ending back order. I order a McLeod RST clutch and flywheel from Lethal. It was shipped two day air from Cali to the dealer and arrived yesterday. Now the dealer can't fix the car until mid next week. Dashing all hopes of me having it for the holiday weekend. My car will have been in the dealer for over a month by the time I get it back. What an experience.....

Since the OEM clutch seems to be on never ending back order. I order a McLeod RST clutch and flywheel from Lethal. It was shipped two day air from Cali to the dealer and arrived yesterday. Now the dealer can't fix the car until mid next week. Dashing all hopes of me having it for the holiday weekend. My car will have been in the dealer for over a month by the time I get it back. What an experience.....

Yeah I just got my car back from the dealer with 12 more miles on it than I brought it in with all for replacing a thermostat. Hrmm...

Yeah I just got my car back from the dealer with 12 more miles on it than I brought it in with all for replacing a thermostat. Hrmm...

I can understand them driving it check it out. Not 12 miles though.....

Archived