TEAM SHELBY FORUM

07SGT replacement grille

Has anyone had a problem with the grille replacement for the 07 SGT? Mine was replaced under warranty and a few of the bars are not on the same plane. Looks kinda cheap. I'm taking it back to the dealer this week. Anyone with comments on their replacement experience? I would like to have some ammo before going to the dealer. Thanks.

Perry

Has anyone had a problem with the grille replacement for the 07 SGT? Mine was replaced under warranty and a few of the bars are not on the same plane. Looks kinda cheap. I'm taking it back to the dealer this week. Anyone with comments on their replacement experience? I would like to have some ammo before going to the dealer. Thanks.

Perry

Can you post some pictures?

I recently purchased a Shelby GT grille and the construction was different. It was not as good quality as an orginal SGT grille and it only had 12 horizontal bars instead of the original grille's 13 bars.

Can you post some pictures?

Here's a pix in the parking garage. The verticle lines are structural colomns reflected in the grille. Notice the fourth grille bar from the bottom. Also bad is the fourth from the top but is not shown very well in this photo.

post-13109-127558132539_thumb.jpg

post-13109-127558132539_thumb.jpg

Mine has 13.

I just had mine replaced under warranty; it has 13 bars. It looked good to me; but I really haven't inspected it with a "fine toothed comb". I'll check it tonight. In any case, I have a black grille on order.

Here's a pix in the parking garage. The verticle lines are structural colomns reflected in the grille. Notice the fourth grille bar from the bottom. Also bad is the fourth from the top but is not shown very well in this photo.

I noticed the tri-bar pony is crooked is that true or the pic? The pony attaches to the inside of the bars using clips. If it's cocked like that it may be creating pressure on the bars, pulling on side one way and the other another, such that the bars are bending which results in what you're seeing maybe? :headscratch:

I noticed the tri-bar pony is crooked is that true or the pic? The pony attaches to the inside of the bars using clips. If it's cocked like that it may be creating pressure on the bars, pulling on side one way and the other another, such that the bars are bending which results in what you're seeing maybe? :headscratch:

That is what it looks like to me as well. I'd fix that emblem. (The clip on the back is probably installed wrong.) Then try GENTLY bending the bar back in place if necessary. I bought a new grille because mine was damaged - bent and dented. I was able to bend it back -- see attached pictures.

I never did install that 12 bar grille and it seems like Shelby still has the old 13 bar style. I think it is time to try and return it for a 13 bar!

post-3252-127561511186_thumb.jpg

post-3252-127561556419_thumb.jpg

post-3252-127561511186_thumb.jpg

post-3252-127561556419_thumb.jpg

Great concept. I'll try to place the badge in the correct orientation. Do you know if any special tools are required for the clips. I'll see for myself sometime tomorrow afternoon. Thought you might be on the forum before then and have some technique that you could share. I'll post pix if it works. Thanks Jeff.

Great concept. I'll try to place the badge in the correct orientation. Do you know if any special tools are required for the clips. I'll see for myself sometime tomorrow afternoon. Thought you might be on the forum before then and have some technique that you could share. I'll post pix if it works. Thanks Jeff.

I just took this pic of the back of the grille. It's real easy, since it's off the car. There's not too much you can adjust on the badge. Looks like they used some type of lock-tite to try and keep it from shifting.

post-20530-127561605421_thumb.jpg

I just took this pic of the back of the grille. It's real easy, since it's off the car. There's not too much you can adjust on the badge. Looks like they used some type of lock-tite to try and keep it from shifting.

They must have changed the clip design at some point. The replacement pony I bought had these clips. It looks like you might be able to make adjustments with these.

post-3252-127561691663_thumb.jpg

post-3252-127561691663_thumb.jpg

If you have an original 07 grille, then it probably looks like mine.

I have the same grille. The badge is the glued style. After looking at it carefully, I discovered that there are alignment pins on the backside of the pony's neck and tail. These pins are resting on one of the grille bars so I was unable to align the emblem from the straight on look at the SGT. When I look at the emblem offset from the front such that I am facing the grille at the emblem dead-on, the emblem is straight.

I went to the dealer, but they were so busy. I 'm turning the SGT in Wednesday to replace the upper rear trailing arm with a KR replacement so we'll look at the grille then. Thanks for the insight and help to all.

I just installed a chrome lower grill. That's when I noticed my upper grille really looks like crap. There is no shine to at all. Chrome polish / never dull had no effect on it what so ever. Guess I'll be buying a new one. Going through the dealer is way too much hassle.

If I remember correctly, the first 2007 SGTs went out with the grille overlay on top of a modified GT grille. Mid year, this was changed to include the grille housing, that uses the same vertical support bars, to make it a complete replacement. It's possible that when this change-over occured that SAI went from the 13 bar to the 12 bar. Both look fine to me, but I can't understand that you'd want them to match.

BTW, that 'glue' looks more like JB weld from the picture. Is it hard or somewhat soft?

If I remember correctly, the first 2007 SGTs went out with the grille overlay on top of a modified GT grille. Mid year, this was changed to include the grille housing, that uses the same vertical support bars, to make it a complete replacement. It's possible that when this change-over occured that SAI went from the 13 bar to the 12 bar. Both look fine to me, but I can't understand that you'd want them to match.

BTW, that 'glue' looks more like JB weld from the picture. Is it hard or somewhat soft?

My original grille was mouned on a MGT grille shell ; it had 13 bars. The grille was replaced last month under warranty due to paint peeling on the MGT grille shell. It was replaced with the 2008 SGT grille and shell; it also has 13 bars. I just ordered and received a black grille from Shelby ; it also has 13 bars.

I just installed a chrome lower grill. That's when I noticed my upper grille really looks like crap. There is no shine to at all. Chrome polish / never dull had no effect on it what so ever. Guess I'll be buying a new one. Going through the dealer is way too much hassle.

Yup... same story here. And the tribar Pony emblem was really pitted too. When I got the new horsie (the package proudly proclaimed "Made In Taiwan", BTW), the comparison was amazing.

Jer

Yup... same story here. And the tribar Pony emblem was really pitted too. When I got the new horsie (the package proudly proclaimed "Made In Taiwan", BTW), the comparison was amazing.

Jer

Have you guys tried polishing the grille with very fine steel wool ? Just a thought...

Have you guys tried polishing the grille with very fine steel wool ? Just a thought...

Well, in my case at least, the metal on the grille and pony weren't just "dull", they were pitted. So the steel wool would just shred if I tried.

Jer

• 6 years later...

I just installed the 2008 grille shell on #5671.....

What a crime looking at how they "hacked" those original GT fog lamp grilles. Looked like ten year old kids were given a hack saw, a pair of dykes and only five minutes to whale away!! Good grief!

HUGE IMPROVEMENT! Not to mention the wavy bottom. Looked like a Lays potato chip. :drop:

^^^ BTW, to anyone contemplating this mod, or for any other reason needing to remove your grille on any S197..... Don't waste your time removing the front bumper cover. It is NOT necessary.

That said...what is ABSOLUTELY necessary, is applying painters tape to the top of the bumper cover before you attempt removing the grille!! I applied tape right up against the grille with about a 1/16th" overlay on the grille shell, then lift up and push the tape underneath the shell with your fingernails. Then I taped out about 3-4" from the grille for total protection as you drag that grille away from the bumper opening.

First off, of course, you need to remove the top rad cover. Now, here's the key......push the two outer arrow shaped tabs on one side of the grille inward as you gently pull the grille away.....they will slide right out without any prying with a screwdriver. Trust me, I've done two now. All the while as you tug gently, you can wiggle the grille slightly up and down as well. Then move to the left side, and do the same. After the four (total) side tabs are out, you can gently pull the grille at the bottom and the bottom four tabs will also slide out. It's an ingenious design, frankly. It allows the grille to be removed easily, but yet hold firm when "popped" back in. :thumbsup:

^^^ BTW, to anyone contemplating this mod, or for any other reason needing to remove your grille on any S197..... Don't waste your time removing the front bumper cover. It is NOT necessary.

That said...what is ABSOLUTELY necessary, is applying painters tape to the top of the bumper cover before you attempt removing the grille!! I applied tape right up against the grille with about a 1/16th" overlay on the grille shell, then lift up and push the tape underneath the shell with your fingernails. Then I taped out about 3-4" from the grille for total protection as you drag that grille away from the bumper opening.

First off, of course, you need to remove the top rad cover. Now, here's the key......push the two outer arrow shaped tabs on one side of the grille inward as you gently pull the grille away.....they will slide right out without any prying with a screwdriver. Trust me, I've done two now. All the while as you tug gently, you can wiggle the grille slightly up and down as well. Then move to the left side, and do the same. After the four (total) side tabs are out, you can gently pull the grille at the bottom and the bottom four tabs will also slide out. It's an ingenious design, frankly. It allows the grille to be removed easily, but yet hold firm when "popped" back in. :thumbsup:

Thanks Chris, I'll need to change out my 9 year old grille soon, so great tips to make the process go smoother.

Dave

Now that my bumper is off I to am going to replace my grill. I have the waving problem on mine as well. Looks like it got hot and buckled.

• 4 weeks later...

I changed my old grille out this weekend with the new surround and the billet grille refresh from Roger Sorel's old car.

Here are a few pics - Old hacked up original grille.

SGT%20Old%20Grille%20Hacked.jpg

SGT%20Old%20Grille%20Surround.jpg

Grille opening on car:

SGT%20Grille%20Grille%20Out.jpg

New grille surround:

New%20Grille%20In%20Surround.jpg

New grille on car:

SGT%20New%20Grille.jpg

Archived