TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Better late than never!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't afford a trip to the "local" Shelby certified mod shops, so I ordered an E-Force Supercharger from Lethal on Friday.

Am I crazy for waiting nearly 3 years and 25k miles?

Sam

Not in my opinion, I'm actually considering the same thing. Let us know how you like the E-Force charger when you get it installed.

I am interested in your impressions of the E-Force. I had already put a blower on my car when I first saw the E-Force. It was a very, very clean set up and those guys have, traditionally, made high quality merchandise. And, no, you are not crazy. You know your car inside and out now and will really appreciate the difference when the blower is installed.

Jim

Thanks for the ecouragement everybody!

Some things I have pondered, more to follow when it arrives:

Based on my limited research, this charger looks nearly like a no-brainer. Kit is very complete and I've seen several installations on the TV, internet, and magazines. Worries? Yea, a few.

Probably will lose my strut brace, or at minimum, replace with a V-6 version. Intercooler and pump location looks like it will interfere with my driving light/brake duct install - I don't currently

have the duct installed, so I may have to go without that, but I'd really like to keep the lights! The stock Fuel pump may have to be upgraded to a GT500 unit or perhaps a boost pump - I'll

have to take it easy till it's been to the dyno and tuned properly.

I know there's one or two folks here that have gone the Edelbrock route and I'd love to hear them chime in!

I'm pretty handy with a wrench, but I will have a mechanic on my shoulder to certify the install and get the 3 year / 36k mile warranty.

Sam

Can't afford a trip to the "local" Shelby certified mod shops, so I ordered an E-Force Supercharger from Lethal on Friday.

Sam

Sam,

Not crazy just cautious in your decision.

Keep us posted on your project.

Are you planning to use the Ford Racing CAI or ?

And I thought I was alone in taking forever to decide...3 years in August & 18k miles and counting...

Lg

Sam,

Not crazy just cautious in your decision.

Keep us posted on your project.

Are you planning to use the Ford Racing CAI or ?

And I thought I was alone in taking forever to decide...3 years in August & 18k miles and counting...

Lg

I should be able to use the Ford Racing CAI, though I may have to purchase a longer intake tube and will certainly have to tune for it. (I will have my Steeda elbow up for sale after

the install!)

I just read of another install and am getting the feeling that our stock Ford Racing strut brace WILL fit! Hopefully that's true!

Already considering a pulley change - maybe up the boost from 5 to around 8 PSI.

Sam

I should be able to use the Ford Racing CAI, though I may have to purchase a longer intake tube and will certainly have to tune for it. (I will have my Steeda elbow up for sale after

the install!)

I just read of another install and am getting the feeling that our stock Ford Racing strut brace WILL fit! Hopefully that's true!

Already considering a pulley change - maybe up the boost from 5 to around 8 PSI.

Sam

Sam,

Check this discussion -post #15 :

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/52663-edelbrock-e-force-dyno-results/

Items:

#6 for Ford Racing CAI (but nothing about longer intake tube)

#9 on this thread regarding the stock Ford Racing strut brace

Larry

Sam,

Check this discussion -post #15 :

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/52663-edelbrock-e-force-dyno-results/

Items:

#6 for Ford Racing CAI (but nothing about longer intake tube)

#9 on this thread regarding the stock Ford Racing strut brace

Larry

Thanks Larry, I was looking for that thread!

It is odd that he says the Ford Racing brace doesn't fit, yet the Bullitt brace does - I thought they were the same part with different cosmetics! Fuel pump upgrade does appear necessary, but looking at the picture, the

CAI is a keeper!

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Supercharger finally arrived today! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Nicely wrapped and palletized - shipping label read 200 pounds, but it looks like half of that was the packing material!

Kudos to Jared at Lethal for keeping tabs on it - Edelbrock didn't give me a tracking number, I just got a call from a shipping company wanting to know when they could deliver my "transmission" :hysterical:

Now I've got to go buy an air conditioner for my garage so I can install this thing in something cooler than 95 degree heat! Whew, it's hot here!

Sam

Sam

I may do the same thing. Looks easy and I prefer doing my own install. Cams went in easy enough. I have read only good things about the eforce. Also a good reputable company to back it up.

Keep us posted.

Supercharger finally arrived today! happy feet.gifhappy feet.gifhappy feet.gif

Nicely wrapped and palletized - shipping label read 200 pounds, but it looks like half of that was the packing material!

Kudos to Jared at Lethal for keeping tabs on it - Edelbrock didn't give me a tracking number, I just got a call from a shipping company wanting to know when they could deliver my "transmission" hysterical.gif

Now I've got to go buy an air conditioner for my garage so I can install this thing in something cooler than 95 degree heat! Whew, it's hot here!

Sam

Sam,

Very cool, but hot in your garage !

Too bad we couldn't meld our two weathers together. We are stuck in the high 50's & low 60's with gray skies. Sure could use some of your Florida sunshine.

What is your planned schedule for the e-force install?

Larry

Sam,

Very cool, but hot in your garage !

Too bad we couldn't meld our two weathers together. We are stuck in the high 50's & low 60's with gray skies. Sure could use some of your Florida sunshine.

What is your planned schedule for the e-force install?

Larry

Larry,

Drive some of that cool weather on down! I was born and raised here in Florida and I've heard "It ain't the heat, it's the humidity" so much it's making me sick! (Heat index of 105 today - yuk)

Anyway, I'm waiting for my supervising mechanic to finish an engine build on his own car, (VW GTI with something like 500 hp!), and then we'll install the E-force on the SGT. I anticipate starting in the next week or two - and then the actual install taking at least two full days as I also have the gauge pod and some smaller items to add to the mix.

The mechanic has generously offered his personal garage and tools for the work, so, in addition to a "libation payment", I think I will rent a portable a/c unit to cool off the place while the work's being done!

I will post a full write up and pics as they become available!

Sam

Great choice as this is an awesome kit! I installed one of the very first kits (s/n 007) and have zero regrets. The install took me about 13 hours doing it on my own as my only help was when it came time to drop the supercharger on the motor. The biggest PITA is repinning a couple connectors. Otherwise, it is very straight forward.

And the Ford Racing CAI will work with the provided intake tube (assuming you ordered the base kit designed to work with the stock airbox), but will require a custom tune. I am getting bored with mine now, so I just need to get around to adding the GT500 pumps, 3.5 inch pulley and CAI that are sitting in the garage!

Great choice as this is an awesome kit! I installed one of the very first kits (s/n 007) and have zero regrets. The install took me about 13 hours doing it on my own as my only help was when it came time to drop the supercharger on the motor. The biggest PITA is repinning a couple connectors. Otherwise, it is very straight forward.

And the Ford Racing CAI will work with the provided intake tube (assuming you ordered the base kit designed to work with the stock airbox), but will require a custom tune. I am getting bored with mine now, so I just need to get around to adding the GT500 pumps, 3.5 inch pulley and CAI that are sitting in the garage!

Thanks Doogie!

Glad to hear the CAI will work with the base kit (the one I have)!

Are you using a strut brace or no? If you are, which one?

Sam

I just saw this, sorry for the late reply. I love the Edelbrock and the install was quick. I had a shop in PA do it so I could get the 3/36k warranty. They completed it in 7 hours with 3 dyno runs. As another said, the two points that were key, were the pin connector changes and lowering the supercharger onto the engine. The stock strut brace didn't fit, so I bought a Bullitt/V6 one and it looks great. I used a stock airbox with the supplied filter, but I would like to get an open air element on it, with a new pulley (8#) and a custom tune. I'm thinking of taking to Brenspeed at some time and getting that and the SS brake system they have installed. Here are a few pics:

And the Dyno run:

Feel free to PM or ask me anything you wish and congrats!

Jim

post-20282-127697060702_thumb.jpg

post-20282-127697069047_thumb.jpg

I just saw this, sorry for the late reply. I love the Edelbrock and the install was quick. I had a shop in PA do it so I could get the 3/36k warranty. They completed it in 7 hours with 3 dyno runs. As another said, the two points that were key, were the pin connector changes and lowering the supercharger onto the engine. The stock strut brace didn't fit, so I bought a Bullitt/V6 one and it looks great. I used a stock airbox with the supplied filter, but I would like to get an open air element on it, with a new pulley (8#) and a custom tune. I'm thinking of taking to Brenspeed at some time and getting that and the SS brake system they have installed. Here are a few pics:

And the Dyno run:

Feel free to PM or ask me anything you wish and congrats!

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the pics and the info - looks like a Bullitt brace will be on order soon!

Sam

And so it begins...

With the exception of the Bullitt/V6 brace, I think I have all of the parts to start this journey.

Tonight I began inside the cabin with the Shelby gauge pod. It came pre-wired so all I had to do was get really flexible and crawl under the dash to pull everything through. My earlier attempts at finding the hole in the dash failed because I was looking in the wrong place! Once I looked really close at the pictures in the instructions, (which are very good, by the way), and then oriented myself under the dash, I found it quite handily! My "fishing" wire passed easily through and the wires/tube pulled without a hitch. Wiring was straight forward - except it's REALLY tough to tell which wire on the SGT is WHITE WITH A YELLOW STRIPE! I found the wire easily enough, but the yellow tracer stripe nearly blended in with the white! (Hope I got the right one!) All connections in the cabin were completed, then, with a little assistance, I pulled the tube and remaining wires through the firewall.

Taking things slow, so that's it for tonight. With several breaks, this bit took about 2 hours. Lessons learned: 1) Read the instructions. 2) Take up Yoga to get flexible. 3) Ask for help when pulling wire through the firewall.

Pic:

gallery_13043_1123_5321.jpg

Tomorrow the story continues...

Sam

Decided to keep it "light" tonight! Turned on the lights - only two of the three gauges actually lit. Looks like a little trouble shooting is in order, hopefully just a loose or bad bulb.

I did manage to put this on the trunk lid:

gallery_13043_1123_44837.jpg

gallery_13043_1123_5286.jpg

gallery_13043_1123_33374.jpg

Sam

I had the same problem with that white with yellow stripe wire!!!

If you have to use the tech phone line get the guy's 4 digit extension number for future use. It cuts down on the time you spend on Edelbrock's phone tree making your way to the supercharger tech guys. I just used it again last week for a minor problem. I talked to Chris Rowe at 1-800-739-3737 x2927.

If you are going to buy the warranty you have to retain the original pulley and tune. Read the warranty carefully. It is offered by another company, not Edelbrock.

Instructions #68-72 do a lot of talking to just say...swap the 2 wires around. I asked why they didn't just do that in the short extension they provide but never got a real answer...I guess the extensions were ordered before they realized they needed to be swapped...so you get to do it. That was the only call I had to make for the Install.

I did it myself in my garage and I have limited abilities...I would never trust myself to do any internal work on an engine or tranny.

Edelbrock offers a CAI with open element that is made outside of Edelbrock for $600+. I was told 2 months ago they were going to be making one in-house that would be cheaper and come with a tune. I'm still waiting to see it tho.

I have resisited the urge to custom tune or change the pulley. The car has plenty of power and I want my engine to last. I just wanted enough to be able to hold my head up around those 2011+ Mustangs that will have the Coyote 5.0 engine and 412 HP.

Trunk lid liner looks great. I just ordered the Baer rear 14" brakes, radiator, SPEC 2+ clutch and flywheel, and Magnaflow cats...so I don't think another entry on the charge card would go over well with the only bread winner in the house...I'm retired.

GREG

If the guage pod light that appears out is on the Boost guage...you may not have a bulb out. I and others have noted that this guage doesn't show as bright as the other two. I put in blue LEDs and it still showed dim. The internals in the guage just block the light pathway...you get to live with it.

When you run the wire for the oil pressure unit resist the urge to cut across...take it up front and then back like the instructions say. It will keep the wire away from the heat of the header and away from the steering shaft.

GREG

Will do on the pics of the trunk! The liner is a tight fit - you really have to jam it up against the latch in order to clear the trunk gasket. I pulled it up tight and it still rubs a bit so I may have to do some minor trimming.

Greg - Many thanks for that information, exactly what I like about this forum! As for the lights, it was the oil pressure gauge and it seems to be just a loose bulb/bulb holder. All working now and it doesn't appear there's any difference in brightness.

Sam

Will do on the pics of the trunk! The liner is a tight fit - you really have to jam it up against the latch in order to clear the trunk gasket. I pulled it up tight and it still rubs a bit so I may have to do some minor trimming.

Greg - Many thanks for that information, exactly what I like about this forum! As for the lights, it was the oil pressure gauge and it seems to be just a loose bulb/bulb holder. All working now and it doesn't appear there's any difference in brightness.

Sam

trunk liner does look great.....Ive been afraid to have someone drill my trunk to install it......

sc looks great.....watching along........good luck!

Archived