TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why no commercials?

DaFreak

Hi All,

Recently I've seen the commercial for the new Cadillac with 556hp and I am wondering why I have never seen a recent GT500 ad? I know there's no Camaro or Challenger spots out there but why not push the sweet new 500? The 11's bring it and it seems that putting the technology & hp in front of the masses may sell more stang's.

What gives?

DaFreak

Don't think I remember seeing any TV commericals for any year of the GT500 since they first came out in 07. I have seen print ads, and have seen TV commericals for the 2011 V6.

Understood, but why is that?

How can a tax payer owned company do the opposite?

DaFreak.

That's really a good question. Maybe for GM it a PR move I remember they had a commerical about how the company had "repayed" their loan in full and early, yet I heard the money they used also came from the government. That's like me asking if I can borrow 40 bucks to repay you 40 bucks that I borrowed 2 weeks earlier.

Perhaps the GT500 is a niche Mustang, to me it is. Most people know what a Mustang is if they are a car van or not, but everyone would know who or what a Shelby is. With the GT500 creeping up to 50K base price Ford feels the buyers will already know about the car and are willing to pay the extra cost over a GT or V6. I think Blue's numbers stated in 2010 Ford built 4,500+ GT500's compared to make 90,000+ for the GT and V6 Mustang. Those who know about the GT500 konw why it's worth the extra money and don't need the added advertisement/propagana of commerials. I'd much rather hear about the car from you my friends and buddies then some voice over dude on TV. Besides I have more fun with you guys and learn a-hellava-lot more.

Just my .02

I think just because their advertising dollars are better spent elsewhere. Which would be my thinking if I were running the "show". I mean - if you think about it, the shelbys and cobras of previous years are targeted to the automotive performance enthusiasts. And in this day and age with all the internet articles, online magazines, blogs, car reviews, etc...if you are a potential buyer of a performance car...you KNOW about it already. So the car sells itself through the circles of car performance websites dedicated to things like the Shelby or Camaros or Vipers, etc. They do all the advertising for the car companies basically.

The GT500 is has a very limited target audience. Same with the Vette and GTR....you don't see many commercials for them either. Advertising dollars are going to be spent on more mainstream vehicles.

TV ads are incredibly expensive and the auto makers are struggling. Dollars are going to be spent only upon those vehicles which are newest and will bring in the most (hopefully) profit.

They don't do a commercial because GT500s aren't having problems selling like the Cadillac.

GM has been spending a fortune on advertising lately, and no wonder since they are now owned by the Government. Have you ever seen a Government organization use resources efficiently?

Of course it could also be a "Brand support" commercial much like the GT500 Germany commercial was.

That's really a good question. Maybe for GM it a PR move I remember they had a commerical about how the company had "repayed" their loan in full and early, yet I heard the money they used also came from the government. That's like me asking if I can borrow 40 bucks to repay you 40 bucks that I borrowed 2 weeks earlier.

Perhaps the GT500 is a niche Mustang, to me it is. Most people know what a Mustang is if they are a car van or not, but everyone would know who or what a Shelby is. With the GT500 creeping up to 50K base price Ford feels the buyers will already know about the car and are willing to pay the extra cost over a GT or V6. I think Blue's numbers stated in 2010 Ford built 4,500+ GT500's compared to make 90,000+ for the GT and V6 Mustang. Those who know about the GT500 konw why it's worth the extra money and don't need the added advertisement/propagana of commerials. I'd much rather hear about the car from you my friends and buddies then some voice over dude on TV. Besides I have more fun with you guys and learn a-hellava-lot more.

Just my .02

I'm in agreement. Did any of us need a commercial?

The caddy needs that justification. Shelbys are just plain legendary...

that being said i also think that the 'germany' commercial is almost like a short than a anything, a smart conversation, what a good ad really is, and not a one sided bulletin.

Archived