TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 Shelby GT500 Convertible Pix

Thor.

Looks awesome Thor, are you happy with the shade of Red the Colorado Red stripes ended up being? Looks like a nice deep red, I'm digging it. Congrats on a a beauitful car.

KLG, not all 2011's have the thinner stripes, only the SVT packaged 2011's have them. I'd hope Thor knows what year the car he just purchased is, also the Ebony paint with red stripes wasn't even available in 2010, so far it's a 2011 color combo only.

Edit ~ Just thought of a few other ways to tell a 2010 from a 2011's . On Thor's Vert it's easy to see the back headrests, they are the larger for 2011 fold down type, while the 2010 had a smaller profile no foldable version. Another way not seen in the pictures but while maybe at a car show is the motor.

2010 had black heads and black supercharger (iron block)

2011 has grabber blue heads and silver supercharger (aluminium block)

Looks awesome Thor, are you happy with the shade of Red the Colorado Red stripes ended up being? Looks like a nice deep red, I'm digging it. Congrats on a a beauitful car.

KLG, not all 2011's have the thinner stripes, only the SVT packaged 2011's have them. I'd hope Thor knows what year the car he just purchased is, also the Ebony paint with red stripes wasn't even available in 2010, so far it's a 2011 color combo only.

I for one did not know about the stripes , thanks for sharing that .

Edit ~ Just thought of a few other ways to tell a 2010 from a 2011's . On Thor's Vert it's easy to see the back headrests, they are the larger for 2011 fold down type, while the 2010 had a smaller profile no foldable version. Another way not seen in the pictures but while maybe at a car show is the motor.

In addition the 2010 Verts had 18" wheels vs 2011 Verts which has 19" wheels. Those are the 19" wheels.

Interestingly, I was not going to get stripes on the GT/CS I was getting ready to order, otherwise this car almost perfectly matches my choices for my soon-to-be ordered vehicle. However, now that I have them, I really like them. The shade of red is perfect and the red trim in the seats is eye catching also. The stripes give the car that aggressive look pizzazz that sets it off from non-striped cars. Beauty, I know, is in the eye of beholder. As for the narrow strips on the SVT package, I have only seen pictures but I think I like the wider stripes better - good thing for me since I have the wide stripes! The engine has the silver supercharger and the blue heads that really grab your attention when you pop the hood. I was planning a black car whether a GT or a GT500 because I like the look, but it is a challenge to keep clean. I bought a "California Duster" and that does seem to be an easier way to get the light dust and pollen off the car. But the high visibility of regular road dirt and smashed bugs require a higher level of car washing. Worth the extra effort though - really looks good when clean and shiny!

absolutely beautiful car.love the color combo.the red really pops off of the black paint.i dont envy you in keeping that car clean but it looks great!!

I would love the larger stripes if they were paint but so much damn vinyl on a car makes it seem cheap to me. Plus in my experience with vinyl if you ever let water evaporate on it it discolors it quickly.

In Ohio close to lake Erie it rains every other day, so you can have a shower appear out of nowhere if you have your car out and not a damn thing you can do about it.

I don't know if this is a different type of vinyl stripe than Saleen uses though, maybe it holds up better.

I would love the larger stripes if they were paint but so much damn vinyl on a car makes it seem cheap to me. Plus in my experience with vinyl if you ever let water evaporate on it it discolors it quickly.

In Ohio close to lake Erie it rains every other day, so you can have a shower appear out of nowhere if you have your car out and not a damn thing you can do about it.

I don't know if this is a different type of vinyl stripe than Saleen uses though, maybe it holds up better.

Agreed - painted stripes would be more professional, is it strictly a cost issue or does painting stripes lead to some other complication? And if it is a cost issue, how much more for the paint?

Agreed - painted stripes would be more professional, is it strictly a cost issue or does painting stripes lead to some other complication? And if it is a cost issue, how much more for the paint?

Well from a cost perspective those are something that would have to be done outside of the Assembly Line since all the Ford Panels I know of are painted by machine and are single color.

The plant that painted the Stripes for the Ford GT I believe was done by hand by Saleen in Troy Michigan. The option for the Painted Stripes and Forged Alloy wheels was $13,500 to the MSRP. I'm sure the Vinyl stripes are much less expensive but they scream "cheap" to me when I see them up close. If mine fade or get discolored I'm definately going to get them painted on.

Visit the gallery to see more!

BEAUTIFUL, I Love the traditional fat stripe, my 2010 stripes look very good only issue were a few small air pockets.

I know it Feels great driving with the top down and lots of folks checking her out. :drool:

My baby will be born June 7, vert, non SVT in white, very happy with the 19 painted wheels, engine, suspension, performance, HD radio etc... this year.

Visit the gallery to see more!

Gallery pics look amazing. Much better than staring at Ebay picks all day!

You should check out the CDC Light Bar, the install only takes a couple of hours and it really enhances the entire look of the car. If mine gets here today or tomorrow I should have mine installed on Fridahy and will post some pics for all of your Vert lovers.

Gallery pics look amazing. Much better than staring at Ebay picks all day!

You should check out the CDC Light Bar, the install only takes a couple of hours and it really enhances the entire look of the car. If mine gets here today or tomorrow I should have mine installed on Fridahy and will post some pics for all of your Vert lovers.

Are there any bars that also function as roll bars at the same time? Seems like the added protection would be good to have at the same time...

about a year ago MM had some stripes painted on a 2009 Gt500 for a customer--you might ask him what the costs were

Are there any bars that also function as roll bars at the same time? Seems like the added protection would be good to have at the same time...

Not that I know of, but I know the 2005-2011 CDC bars have a much better structural design than the previous models I had on my old mustang, plus the install can be done in less than half the time.

I'll post a writeup with pics once if my car gets here.

Regarding roll bars, I've never really seen or heard of a mustang rolling over any time in recent memory (they have the highest possible rollover rating, and convertibles moreso due to even less weight at the "top"). It would be nice to have one serve a dual purpose true, but all of the roll bars I've seen look terrible.

Well from a cost perspective those are something that would have to be done outside of the Assembly Line since all the Ford Panels I know of are painted by machine and are single color.

The plant that painted the Stripes for the Ford GT I believe was done by hand by Saleen in Troy Michigan. The option for the Painted Stripes and Forged Alloy wheels was $13,500 to the MSRP. I'm sure the Vinyl stripes are much less expensive but they scream "cheap" to me when I see them up close. If mine fade or get discolored I'm definately going to get them painted on.

The stripes while still vinyl are a totally different animal then the fading stuff that Saleen used. These are vinyl and have a clearcoat on top of them. Unlike Saleen Ford knows they have to last at least through the 3 year warranty period. They're still vinyl but I think they look pretty sharp.

Not that I know of, but I know the 2005-2011 CDC bars have a much better structural design than the previous models I had on my old mustang, plus the install can be done in less than half the time.

I'll post a writeup with pics once if my car gets here.

Regarding roll bars, I've never really seen or heard of a mustang rolling over any time in recent memory (they have the highest possible rollover rating, and convertibles moreso due to even less weight at the "top"). It would be nice to have one serve a dual purpose true, but all of the roll bars I've seen look terrible.

the issue is at any IHRA track, verts need a roll bar if they run under 14secs

The stripes while still vinyl are a totally different animal then the fading stuff that Saleen used. These are vinyl and have a clearcoat on top of them. Unlike Saleen Ford knows they have to last at least through the 3 year warranty period. They're still vinyl but I think they look pretty sharp.

Ahh thats good to know. Thanks!

Anyone with an older GT500 have any issues with their stripes fading or becoming discolored yet?

And yeah I know at the track fast verts need a roll bar, I've always thought that rule needed an adjustment. Most tracks will let you go without a roll bar until you break that 14 second barrier though so you can at least get one run if it is worth it to you.

You also may be able to get away with a "fake" roll bar like the CDC at some tracks but I guess that is up to their judgement.

Ahh thats good to know. Thanks!

Anyone with an older GT500 have any issues with their stripes fading or becoming discolored yet?

And yeah I know at the track fast verts need a roll bar, I've always thought that rule needed an adjustment. Most tracks will let you go without a roll bar until you break that 14 second barrier though so you can at least get one run if it is worth it to you.

You also may be able to get away with a "fake" roll bar like the CDC at some tracks but I guess that is up to their judgement.

my bet is when they do a tech-in on a Shelby vert, they wont let you run w/o a roll bar--they let me run my 65GTO,but when i tried with my vette, they kind of laughed at me---bob

I saw an all white 2011 GT500 with the SVT Package and Stripe delete at Lakewood Ford here in WA. The car didn't impress me being all white. Still not sure about the wheels, but they are growing on me. I did notice the folding headrest and wondered why they did that. Seems like a waste and all they do is block your view unless you fold them down then they look :headscratch: dumb. It looks like they improved the LCA in the rear, they seem heavier and I like the finned aluminum axle cover. :drool: Might have to purchase one of those. I do like the stripped shifter in the 2010 better than the all white shifter in the 2011, looks plain. The glass top had a crack in it, oops that's going to be expensive to repair.

Archived