TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Traction Super snake wheels and tires

The Super Snake traction solution. I highly recomend all the hundreds of ssnakes run and do this. Wow.

Ok, credit goes to Lee Novikov. He is the inventor of this modification. Credit also to James at weldcraft wheels.

The fix is:

You send in your ssnake wheels, or pick up 2 new ones, and send them to James at weldcraft wheels. He will add width to the inside of the wheel.

I added 1 7/8ths inches so they are now 11 7/8ths. Then you pop on the newly out toyo proxis R888 competition sticky rally race tires which are street legal. 315 30 ZR 20. This is what I am running. Lee Novikov is running Michelin PS2's 335 30 ZR 20. This is a straight street tire assuming you want some more miles and rain wear. Both will fit these wheels.

If you never need to use the michelins you may go 11.25 wide instead for a better wheel to toyo fit. I then moved my nitto nt05 rear 275 35 20 tires to the front and they are great.

What an improvement omg.

it seems so far to be dead purrfekt.

its hooking up. its sticky,

its handling like a rally car, its super on the highway at 120mph.

it straight line drags great, so far as yet i've only played one day since this modification and havent really seen limits yet.

Cut off the bumpstop and shock boot. And remove the brake cooling plastic ducts.

Did I say wow. What a fit. Stock look. Purrfekt.

( ' _ ' ) get back 1st and second gear. Lee and James thank you again. Wow.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Super Snake traction solution. I highly recomend all the hundreds of ssnakes run and do this. Wow.

Ok, credit goes to Lee Novikov. He is the inventor of this modification. Credit also to James at weldcraft wheels.

The fix is:

You send in your ssnake wheels, or pick up 2 new ones, and send them to James at weldcraft wheels. He will add width to the inside of the wheel.

I added 1 7/8ths inches so they are now 11 7/8ths. Then you pop on the newly out toyo proxis R888 competition sticky rally race tires which are street legal. 315 30 ZR 20. This is what I am running. Lee Novikov is running Michelin PS2's 335 30 ZR 20. This is a straight street tire assuming you want some more miles and rain wear. Both will fit these wheels.

If you never need to use the michelins you may go 11.25 wide instead for a better wheel to toyo fit. I then moved my nitto nt05 rear 275 35 20 tires to the front and they are great.

What an improvement omg.

it seems so far to be dead purrfekt.

its hooking up. its sticky,

its handling like a rally car, its super on the highway at 120mph.

it straight line drags great, so far as yet i've only played one day since this modification and havent really seen limits yet.

Cut off the bumpstop and shock boot. And remove the brake cooling plastic ducts.

Did I say wow. What a fit. Stock look. Purrfekt.

( ' _ ' ) get back 1st and second gear. Lee and James thank you again. Wow.

+1000 I did this mod a few months ago. It totaly transforms the car. I went 11 3/4" Per Lee's advice. Thnx Lee for being a trailblazer for all SS owners. This is the single biggets mod u can do for these cars for street use.

+1000 I did this mod a few months ago. It totaly transforms the car. I went 11 3/4" Per Lee's advice. Thnx Lee for being a trailblazer for all SS owners. This is the single biggets mod u can do for these cars for street use.

yeah baby!!!!

This is how they should be.

U said it, it transforms the car.

Wow.

If going to the 11 3/4" route do you have to cut the bump stops, shock boots and remove rear brake duct? Can you buy SS embossed wheels from Shelby to make the transformation?

how much to dao al lthis thanks

'twas 250 per wheel.

plus one hour labor to a guy to cut off the bump stop and shock boot and plastic brake cooling ducts.

plus 15 bucks to mount and balance the new toyo tires.

cheap.

i have this same setup. agree with miami completey.

$250 x 2 for wheel widening.

about 50 bucks shipping rims to weldcraft

cut bumpstop and remove dust boot.

remove brake ducts

Toyo 315/30/20 about $450/tire

for a total of about $1500 you deliver an extra 100 HP to the ground and those wheels are INTIMIDATING!

was a no-brainer for me. Thanks Lee!

Only potential down-side in my mind is cutting the SS wheels. I do not intent to sell so it doesnt matter to me but if it matters to you buy some alcoas and have them widened and store your originals.

Ron

If going to the 11 3/4" route do you have to cut the bump stops, shock boots and remove rear brake duct? Can you buy SS embossed wheels from Shelby to make the transformation?

From what I have read, the 11.75" ( and maybe even anything wider than 11") does require bumpstop removal and shock boot mods.

As for the "SUPER SNAKE" logo'ed wheels, these wheels are one time only with the Super Snake build, that is of course unless you happen to find a pair (or set) of originals floating around in public, for sale...............

R

u either buy 'Shelby' engraved, or u use urs, then later ifN u ever need to go back u send ur 'damaged wheels back to Shelby and buy a factory size set. But, snce no one on planet earth would want the skinny kill urself no traction wheels. I vet that u will never buy them again.

It's called 'texting'. It is used by ppl w iPhones and other Xtra terrestrial newer technologies.

Welcome 2 the 21st century. It's so easy even a caveman can do it.

A better question is: What kind of person has issues with others grammer, in a super snake car forum. Whilst planet earth plumets towards apocalyptic caos. Rhetorical.

It's called 'texting'. It is used by ppl w iPhones and other Xtra terrestrial newer technologies.

A better question is: What kind of person has issues with others grammer, in a super snake car forum. Whilst planet earth plumets towards apocalyptic caos. Rhetorical.

I do not pray to a 'G-d of grammer'.

Although I would not infringe on anothers religious freedom of choice.

Or any mommy who tries to correct grammer seeing it as their maternal duty.

Carry on. Your use of "texting" precedes you.

Caos, ppl, u, ur, vet, ifN...ifN?

As long as you're not going to tell me that you are an English teacher, fine. We'll continue to try to interpret your texting.

You are welcome guys! I am happy to help any way I can to get tracton to the street on these beasts. If we could get someone from SAI to take a ride in one of these cars with some real tires on them I bet the 2011 SS would have some meat under the back!

post-24857-127556900586_thumb.jpg

post-24857-127556902134_thumb.jpg

post-24857-127556900586_thumb.jpg

post-24857-127556902134_thumb.jpg

Carry on. Your use of "texting" precedes you.

Caos, ppl, u, ur, vet, ifN...ifN?

As long as you're not going to tell me that you are an English teacher, fine. We'll continue to try to interpret your texting.

chaos, people, you, your, if.

The grammar Gods are asleep at the wheel...

I'm rollin, Too funny!!!

Who's on first? :hysterical2:

I am looking at a new set up for the kr and this may be it. What is the best price for some 20 aloca wheels? How long for weldcraft to widen the wheels? Can we do 20x11 or 20x11.5 for the ps2's or toyo's? I just took some nt05r's 315/40/18 off the stock wheels and they hooked really good but wanted a bigger wheel

I am looking at a new set up for the kr and this may be it. What is the best price for some 20 aloca wheels? How long for weldcraft to widen the wheels? Can we do 20x11 or 20x11.5 for the ps2's or toyo's? I just took some nt05r's 315/40/18 off the stock wheels and they hooked really good but wanted a bigger wheel

all the 'racers' who track these cars, say: the 18's handle and hook MUCH better than 20's.

That 20's are just for looks. I would just widen my 18's if I were u.

all the 'racers' who track these cars, say: the 18's handle and hook MUCH better than 20's.

That 20's are just for looks. I would just widen my 18's if I were u.

Yes the alcoas are like 500 per I think.

Weldcraft will do any of those sizes u wish.

Takes a couple weeks.

The bigger sidewall on the 18 will help you hook better. Best tire size for a 18" is going to be a 325/40/18. M&H makes a drag radial in that size, I would check for other makes that are not DR's. Its 1/2" narrower than my 335's but with more sidewall it should hook better. Would look great on a 11.75 rim! I would love to find some 18's for a 345/35/18 track tire!

it's like a new car. i can not say enough positives about this. what an improvement. yes Lee, if shelby drove it they would start offering wider width alcoas and tires.

the car really needed it. it is half-way safe now. and all-the-way fun.

Ok. So I am really close to pulling the trigger. I want to widen my SS wheels too.

11.25 to 11.75" wide?

Stock rim/tire setup = 27.7" tall = the stock SS rear is a 275/35/20. on 20" x 10" Alcoas

Considering the following rear tire setup.

1. Michelin 335/30/20 PS2. = 28" tall = Lee's setup Cost $491 ea

2. Toyo Proxes R888 315/30/ZR20 = 27.6" tall = BonDoc & Miamimtg setup - Cost $ 385 ea

Toyo's website states rim width = 10.5 - 11.5

http://toyotires.com...ern/proxes-r888

3. Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT 325/30/20 = 27.7" tall - cost $806 ea

rim width 11"-12"

4. Pirelli PZero 305/30/ZR20 = 27.2" tall - max rim width 11.5 - cost $ 333 ea

rim width 10.5 - 11.5

thanks to the tire calculator:

http://ejelta.com/ti...dex.html?ws20=1

Also, what is the drawback from trimming/removing the bumpstop bracket?

If I opt to widen to 11.5 and go with the PZero 305's, do you guys think the bumpstop still need trimming?

gt67 said: 11'' wheel and 305/30, worked fine with room to spare. No trimming and did not have to remove the dust boot from shock.

http://www.teamshelb...es/page__st__37

Thanks for your input.

Ok. So I am really close to pulling the trigger. I want to widen my SS wheels too.

11.25 to 11.75" wide?

Stock rim/tire setup = 27.0" tall = the stock SS rear is a 275/35/20. on 20" x 10" Alcoas

2. Toyo Proxes R888 315/30/ZR20 = 27.6" tall = BonDoc & Miamimtg setup - Cost $ 385 ea

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-r888

rim width 11"-12"

rim width 10.5 - 11.5

http://ejelta.com/tiresize/index.html?ws20=1

If I opt to widen to 11.5 and go with the PZero 305's, do you guys think the bumpstop still need trimming?

gt67 said: 11'' wheel and 305/30, worked fine with room to spare. No trimming and did not have to remove the dust boot from shock.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/55653-bigger-rear-tires/page__st__37

Thanks for your input.

all good stuff. my feeling is: these cars need the maximum traction you can give them. even then all that wonderful crazy horsepower may burn through first gear. I got 2nd gear in its entirety yay. i believe you need the max. in return you get more and more use of your car.

11.25 to 11.75" wide?

Stock rim/tire setup = 27.0" tall = the stock SS rear is a 275/35/20. on 20" x 10" Alcoas

rim width 11"-12"

rim width 10.5 - 11.5

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/55653-bigger-rear-tires/page__st__37

Thanks for your input.

I think the bumpstop will still need to be trimmed but i am not sure... you may get away with this if you use a 1/8" spacer.

I strongly recommend 11.5" widening and the toyo proxes R888 315/30/20 you would not be dissapointed in appearance or function.

dust boot from shock will have to come off either way.

with this combo you will only have to trim the "elevated" portion of your bumpstop- which is what I did.

Ron

11.25 to 11.75" wide?

rim width 11"-12"

rim width 10.5 - 11.5

Thanks for your input.

Actually as a starting point, TireRack.com lists the Pirelli P Zero in a 275/35ZR20 as 27.7" tall, which is much closer to 28" than 27". Each individual manufacturer has to be measured seperately. Not all tires of the same size are equal in width, it all depends upon where the specific maufacturer measures their tire width. This measurement location is not standardized. Nitto's run narrower, BFG's run on the wider side, each being of the same exact size. Using a universal tire measurment tool will not give a true per manufacturer size comparision, which means you could spend $$$ on a tire that "appears" to fit your needs, and then be disappointed once it is mounted.

Pirelli P Zero

275/35ZR20

Treadwear: 220

Traction: AA

Temperature: A220 AA A 2039 lbs.

50 psi

10/32"

29lbs. 9-11"

9.5"

10.9"

NA

27.7"