TEAM SHELBY FORUM

some ideas to shave weight and increase performance

Alright,

So to some of you guys that have been around the block a few times, what are some things that us younger guys need to learn as far as shaving some weight off our cars? I see where Evolution Performance has an aluminium block; Shelby store has the one piece aluminiun drive shaft, and there seems to be all kinds of other things as well. What will help or should I say not hurt the performance of our cars?

Everywhere I look I am seeing our cars getting crushed on reviews against other cars....I want to know how to shave off some weight and where to do it to allow us to crush anything out there on the road. I know we have the horse power to do it, but just raw power isn't enough. I also know that all the reviews are getting stacked against us going against the Corvette, etc...The biggest advantage I see vs the Corvette is weight.....

So again, what should be looking at doing and where to take off weight for balance, etc...?

Thanks,

-Chad

Unless you gut the car and turn it into a track beast, you're not going to get very far by simply taking a hundred pounds off the car; so I'd concentrate on rotating mass and unsprung weight.

Try a 1-piece light-weight driveshaft (.2 - .3 seconds in 1/4 mile) and super-light wheels with stickier rubber.

You started dating her when she's fat, so learn to love her.

Alright,

So to some of you guys that have been around the block a few times, what are some things that us younger guys need to learn as far as shaving some weight off our cars? I see where Evolution Performance has an aluminium block; Shelby store has the one piece aluminiun drive shaft, and there seems to be all kinds of other things as well. What will help or should I say not hurt the performance of our cars?

Everywhere I look I am seeing our cars getting crushed on reviews against other cars....I want to know how to shave off some weight and where to do it to allow us to crush anything out there on the road. I know we have the horse power to do it, but just raw power isn't enough. I also know that all the reviews are getting stacked against us going against the Corvette, etc...The biggest advantage I see vs the Corvette is weight.....

So again, what should be looking at doing and where to take off weight for balance, etc...?

Thanks,

-Chad

I'd go with the aluminum driveshaft for starters.(20-30lbs.)

I wouldn't do the aluminum block unless something is wrong with your old one, just not worth it.

I'm planning on removing my windshield wipers + motors (10lbs.) since I never use them and have rainX which works if you do get stuck in the rain.

Wheels are another area you can save a lot of weight and in the best place possible.

Spare tire will save you quite a bit as well but you don't want to lighten up your real too much. ( it appears all of the GT500s on the VIR track had the spare removed from the trunk).

Another nice modification that while it wont save you weight will give you a better distribution is the battery relocation to the trunk. From the Steeda Kit:

Steeda tested it on their 4-wheel digital scale and found that moving a 35 pound battery from the left front of the car to the right side of the trunk actually put 60 more pounds on the right rear tire - where you need it most for traction. Better weight distribution also reduces "nose dive" during braking and improves handling response.

Spare tire will save you quite a bit as well but you don't want to lighten up your real too much. ( it appears all of the GT500s on the VIR track had the spare removed from the trunk).

FYI, GT500's don't have spare tires (for weight reduction). They have inflation stations.

Phill

FYI, GT500's don't have spare tires (for weight reduction). They have inflation stations.

Phill

Haha, my car needs to get here. Only some much I can learn from reading.

I only made the assumption because I saw the picture of the kit and the empty tire area in the trunk and remembered that one of the reviews said the car only weight 3760 pounds on the scale when they weighed it so I assumed since the stock car weighs 3820 I assumed they had removed the tire.

I never drove my saleen with the spare tire in the trunk either, who would risk their car on a donut?

Haha, my car needs to get here. Only some much I can learn from reading.

Understood!

I was told by the dealer SVT sales Mgr. that they didn't put a spare in for weight savings.

Made sense to me....

They should'a put the battery back there IMO.

Phill

What's the purpose of the axle weights? I know on the other live axle Stangs had a counter weight on the front of the differential that was supposed to be a harmonic damper for vibration and road noise, but that was always the first thing you took off with no ill effects whatsoever so I'm wondering if those axle weights are the same principle.

Weight reduction is clearly a proven and effective way to increase performance, but it usually comes at a greater cost than power adding modifications. Meaning that the things you take off were usually put there for a reason and you will lose that function no matter how significant or insignificant it was. You have to consider what the car is being used for before you start planning weight reduction strategies. If its primarily a street car that you will drive spirited and once in a blue moon put it on a track of some sort, I'd say forgo the major weight reduction moves that will eliminate your creature comforts and luxurys. If the car is going to be a track horse and rarely see street use, then by all means, dump the A/C, the extra speakers, swap out the front seats for some lighter saddles, dump the heavy 19" wheels for a light weight set of 18's, drop the factory K-member and front suspension for a tubular set up, swap out the headers while your in there because the factory manifolds, while ok in terms of flow, weigh a ton, swap to a one peace drive shaft, pick up some light weight brake rotors... There's endless things you can do to cut weight, its just all a matter of how far you want to go for every last lbs. I've never been one to worry about weight reduction other than added benefits of mods that I was already going to do anyway. I just don't race enough to make it worth it.

I'll stick with what Ford and Shelby gave me for the most part when it comes to weight. I don't spend enough time on the track to start hackin my car up and making it loud, creaky, loose or less comfortable.

Is there any DISADVANTAGE to battery relocation? Does the increased distance from the rest of the engine make any difference in terms of current flow or anything?

Good question, I've always heard as long as you use the appropriate wire 4 gauge or thicker you shouldn't have problems. Also make sure you use th proper kit/battery box for your application to be sure the mount is sturdy.

Is there any DISADVANTAGE to battery relocation? Does the increased distance from the rest of the engine make any difference in terms of current flow or anything?

Only one I've seen is people say you have to keep the contacts clean (should be easier in the trunk) because it lowers the max cranking voltage slightly or something along those lines.

I wonder how the GT500 Engine compartment would look without the battery and battery mount?

Hey Ezareth - I was going to ask if you had one of these cars, but see you don't. There is no spare tire (as pointed out), and the battery is on the right, not the left.

Yeah that Steeda kit blurb wasn't meant for the GT500 I think.

Does the Base 10-11 Mustangs have batteries on the right as well? I know my 99 had it on the left.

Alright,

Thanks,

-Chad

Some simple things you can do:

1) Aluminum drive shaft

2) Lightweight brake rotors

3) Lighter wheels

4) Lighter tires

Also suspension upgrades, like adjustable shocks, will assist in better weight transfer during launches which would lead to increased traction.

Of course, one of the easiest things is for the driver to shed some weight. I've done it myself. Everybody wins!

+1. Get some exercise and drop a few lbs. Several Shelby drivers I've seen could stand to drop a few lbs. Plus it's better for your health. :dance:

quickest way to reduce weight??.............DONT let the wife/girlfriend (OR BOTH) ride in it!!!

They help the traction...especially in the rear on the right side but they seem to get fussy back there. talkhand.gif

Archived