TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 GT500 dyno

Tom@ARH

Thanks guys, but this was not the "no boost" thing. I have had plenty of fast cars (95 blown Cobra, 99 Cobra, 01 WRX, 03 EVO, 03 Cobra etc) and have a butt dyno that is pretty well calibrated. Believe what you wish, my car changed when it hit 500 miles. Had a sharper tip in and more immediate response at lower RPMs. Upper end power was similar (was not babying it). Seemed like the type of thing that would prevent shock to the drive train during break in. Ford has done it before in their cars.

Placebo. There is no "500 mile switch" in the ECM.

I"m not sure about Ford but I know for fact that GM's (I'm a GM Master Tech) have what is called a "D-cell" that must expire before the PCM is allowed to go into its regular full programming. Prior to expiration, the engine is set rich and retarded to keep it "cooler" during a break-in period. GENERALLY it's between 500 and 1000 miles for the D-cell to expire.

There is no set mileage for the D-cell expiration, it's s combination of miles driven, time, number of starts, etc.

You can connect a Snap-On scan tool to a GM and it will tell you if the D-Cell is expired or not.

I *suspect* that Ford would have a similar program (it's to save the Mfgr. from warranty claims due to early abuse).

Are there any Ford Techs here with a Snap-On scanner that can check to see if FoMoCo has a similar chip in their EEC PCM's?

Phill

I"m not sure about Ford but I know for fact that GM's (I'm a GM Master Tech) have what is called a "D-cell" that must expire before the PCM is allowed to go into its regular full programming. Prior to expiration, the engine is set rich and retarded to keep it "cooler" during a break-in period. GENERALLY it's between 500 and 1000 miles for the D-cell to expire.

There is no set mileage for the D-cell expiration, it's s combination of miles driven, time, number of starts, etc.

You can connect a Snap-On scan tool to a GM and it will tell you if the D-Cell is expired or not.

I *suspect* that Ford would have a similar program (it's to save the Mfgr. from warranty claims due to early abuse).

Are there any Ford Techs here with a Snap-On scanner that can check to see if FoMoCo has a similar chip in their EEC PCM's?

Phill

FoMoCo doesn't need a dead Energizer Bunny before the motor can stretch her legs. They build the engines tough enough from the start.

Can't speak for anyone other than myself but here is my experience:

My S/C kicked on after I drove over 5 miles from the dealership towards home. It was definitely not on pulling away from the dealership and it was definitely on a few miles later :)

That being said, when I first started kicking the GT500 into WOT at 126 miles, I'd register 5-6 lbs on the boost-fake-o-meter and power was there, but not 500 rwhp worth.

Fast forward to 200 miles. Tried some 3rd gear pulls from 65mph. Still somewhat sluggish.

400 miles. Holy crow! This is what I'm talkin' about! Somewhere between 200 and 400 miles something changed. A lot. Not just the car got broken in a little more.

IMHO there is something else going on here besides what is being documented in the manual. Could it be something similar to GM's break-in programming? Dunno.

So, are there any actual Ford ECM programmers in here or some guys that think they know all about someone else's car that they have never driven? Call bs or whatever you guys want. Programming or not....something changed around the 500 mile mark that gave the car more pop.

BTW, it dynoed at 474 hp today on a Dynojet. Don't have the sheet in front of me but I think the torque was around 455. Air fuel was very rich at 10.6-10.7 through most of the run. Clearly room for improvement with tuning.

Mike

So, are there any actual Ford ECM programmers in here or some guys that think they know all about someone else's car that they have never driven? Call bs or whatever you guys want. Programming or not....something changed around the 500 mile mark that gave the car more pop.

BTW, it dynoed at 474 hp today on a Dynojet. Don't have the sheet in front of me but I think the torque was around 455. Air fuel was very rich at 10.6-10.7 through most of the run. Clearly room for improvement with tuning.

Mike

Cars with 100 miles tend to dyno at around the same numbers as cars with 1,000 miles. So I'm taking you up on your option to call BS. :poke:

Programming or not....something changed around the 500 mile mark that gave the car more pop.

My car has also suddenly come to life just after I hit the 500 mile mark. Well, somewhere between 500 and 900 miles.

I *never* had wheel hop before. Yesterday, I pulled away from a stoplight and rolled into it pretty hard. Not only did the wheels spin (something that never happened before with TC on) but I got some wheelhop out of it too.

I yanked off a second gear the other day and laid down a big long black SS mark behind me.

I always thought the car was lacking because of the 6500 feet ASL altitude but now I'm woindering if it is something else (since it seems to have really picked up ponies).

Anyone know any Ford Top Gun techs? I know one but haven't seen him in decades and wouldn't know how to get in touch with him anyway.

Sure would like to *know* (and not "Think").,

Phill

Been real active on this forum esp when I first got my 07 GT500 in Dec of 2006.

I heard alot of 430ish to 450ish rwhp .... and a few freakish in the 460's but didnt hear anything about a 07 or a 08 dynoing bone stock in the 490 range.

It's a while back but if you do a search you will see quite a few were dynoing in the 470ish stock...Hey I'm not trying to

knock the #'s of the new ones just saying I thought they would be very close or slightly over the the 500 mark stock.

Archived