TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone rented 2006 GT-H #281?

Larry T

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Do you know where is was ? I rented 4 from San Jose Ca. but I would have to check

I bought 2006 #256 from Denver

and 2007 #414 the last one from LV

Shelbyguy

From what I have been told it was rented out of Ontario / Palm Springs California but it might have been in San Jose???

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, I had a customer that came to see me and I remember commenting on the fact it was #281 (CI size of the 4.6 engine) He rented it and had it for 5 days. I am in Palm Springs. Car had really bad tires when I saw it...

Alex

Yes, I had a customer that came to see me and I remember commenting on the fact it was #281 (CI size of the 4.6 engine) He rented it and had it for 5 days. I am in Palm Springs. Car had really bad tires when I saw it...

Alex

Thank you for the information Alex .... hopefully I can find someone with pictures or videos and rental information.

The search continues.....

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey Larry! New member here.

I was looking through my old car pics on a backup hard drive a few days ago, and ran across my archived "Rentals" folder.

I used to travel extensively, and when the GT-H cars came out I swore SOMEHOW I'd find a way to rent one while I could. I was always a huge fan of the originals, and there was NOOO way in hell I was letting these pass me up.

Then one week I flew to SoCal and had none of my usual equipment to haul around, and was somehow able to convince/hoodwink/finagle my old boss into letting me expense the Shelby, so long as I picked up the extra costs over our normal 4x4 SUV rentals. I couldn't wait!!

It was a TOTAL blast. The entire SoCal office came out to see and oogle the car, and I took a couple visitors from overseas on short rides, where I got one of them to scream (and laugh) like a little girl. Took a handful of pics for posterity, and I've kept the rental contract etc on the wall ever since as one of my favorite a souvenirs.

So going through my old car pics I ran across the "rentals" folder and pics I had taken of the GT-H. Out of curiosity last night and wondering where the car is now, I googled the car number, CSM06H281 (which always struck me as interesting as it was also the engine size). The top returns were your posts here asking for old pics and information.

I rented it from Ontario CA late March 2007, and drove it to our office complex, which was across the street from the famous Pomona Speedway.Had a great time on the road parallel to the drag strip. Never abused it, but did open it up a little to see what she would do.

I was impressed. I ended up driving it all over Los Angeles visiting different sites, including Mulholland hills, PCH etc if I recall correctly.

I was sad to give it back, and it was a memory I will never forget. Even had the full blessing of my wife. One more thing off my bucket list.

Anyways,here's a couple pics of your car from its working days you might be interested in. I have a few more, and possibly even video if I can find them. Glad to hear she ended up in good hands. post-40828-0-84962300-1366262891_thumb.jpg

post-40828-0-84962300-1366262891_thumb.jpg

Incidentally, I flew into LAX a few months prior, mid 2006, and there was a whole row of brand new GT-H sitting there, all with sequential California plate numbers. Tried to take a group pic but my camera batteries died, could have kicked myself in the head for that.

I did end up taking pics of at least 11 different cars, including one with Arizona plates. I miss seeing these things everywhere.

post-40828-0-76278000-1366266147_thumb.jpg

post-40828-0-76278000-1366266147_thumb.jpg

Incidentally, I flew into LAX a few months prior, around November 2006, and there was a whole row of brand new GT-H sitting there, all with sequential California plate numbers. Tried to take a group pic but my camera batteries died, could have kicked myself in the head for that.

I did end up taking pics of at least 11 different cars, including one with Arizona plates. I miss seeing these things everywhere.

The question that now needs to be asked is:

Did you drive her real "gentle like", do the speed limit, talk to her all nice, turn the corners real slow, stop for old ladies crossing the street........ ect..... OR DID YOU..... :yahoo::peelout: ???

QSS

Congrats Larry on getting some cool stuff to add to your history book.

Boy, I wish we had more photos like this! I'd love to find a photo of #229 while in rental duty.

Just started perusing your blog, LOVE it! Had the same reactions when I heard they were bringing the Hertz-Shelbys back. Which is why I kept taking pics every time I saw one.

Do you know the original Hertz plate number on #229? I can keep my eye open for it. Seeing how your car came from SoCal I probably oogled over it as I was in and out of Burbank/Ontario/Lax/San Diego on a weekly basis for several years.

I'll try to upload the others as I find them and get the file sizes shrunk under the 500k limit.

November 6, 2006, LAX

post-40828-0-86774700-1366312980_thumb.jpg

post-40828-0-86774700-1366312980_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

I was looking through my old car pics on a backup hard drive a few days ago, and ran across my archived "Rentals" folder.

I used to travel extensively, and when the GT-H cars came out I swore SOMEHOW I'd find a way to rent one while I could. I was always a huge fan of the originals, and there was NOOO way in hell I was letting these pass me up.

Then one week I flew to SoCal and had none of my usual equipment to haul around, and was somehow able to convince/hoodwink/finagle my old boss into letting me expense the Shelby, so long as I picked up the extra costs over our normal 4x4 SUV rentals. I couldn't wait!!

It was a TOTAL blast. The entire SoCal office came out to see and oogle the car, and I took a couple visitors from overseas on short rides, where I got one of them to scream (and laugh) like a little girl. Took a handful of pics for posterity, and I've kept the rental contract etc on the wall ever since as one of my favorite a souvenirs.

So going through my old car pics I ran across the "rentals" folder and pics I had taken of the GT-H. Out of curiosity last night and wondering where the car is now, I googled the car number, CSM06H281 (which always struck me as interesting as it was also the engine size). The top returns were your posts here asking for old pics and information.

I rented it from Ontario CA late March 2007, and drove it to our office complex, which was across the street from the famous Pomona Speedway.Had a great time on the road parallel to the drag strip. Never abused it, but did open it up a little to see what she would do.

I was impressed. I ended up driving it all over Los Angeles visiting different sites, including Mulholland hills, PCH etc if I recall correctly.

I was sad to give it back, and it was a memory I will never forget. Even had the full blessing of my wife. One more thing off my bucket list.

Anyways,here's a couple pics of your car from its working days you might be interested in. I have a few more, and possibly even video if I can find them. Glad to hear she ended up in good hands. attachicon.gifDSCF0911b.jpg

Hello Pete, thank you for the photo .... that is awesome, I will PM you and I am very greatful that you are willing to share your experiences with me.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyways,here's a couple pics of your car from its working days you might be interested in. I have a few more, and possibly even video if I can find them. Glad to hear she ended up in good hands. attachicon.gifDSCF0911b.jpg

Hello Sparky, anything you can share would be great !!

• 1 month later...

Archived