TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Advice/suggestion on wheels

Need some input or at least a reality check.

I have come across a guy with a set of nearly new 20' chrome Razors with Sumitomo HTR Z II tires. The guy what's to trade for my OE's plus $600 cash. I have not seen these wheels and tires in person or even good photos of the tires so I'm not sure how good of a deal this is. I figure I can make a deal a $500 if they are the right offset for big brakes.

The question is, should I pursue this? I love the look of the Razors but not crazy about the chrome. The tires would not be my 1st choice but then I have no knowledge of the quality of tire Sumitomo produces.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I may just be too gung-ho on the idea of new wheels.

If it were me, I'd probably keep my originals and keep looking....the tires only come in two sizes for the 20" wheels and they list for $115 and $117 each...$1000 for a set of Chrome 20X9" Razors which your original wheels are good for and the BFG's are more expensive tires....plus, do his tires have the TPMS sensors and bands in them??? Is the ofset right for larger brakes??? I think he's trying to pull a fast one on you, but it is your choice....

Well, that was easy.

I will regret letting go of the OE wheels, not crazy about chrome, and thow I don't think the guy is trying to pull a fast one he may be misguided on the value of his set-up. Latemodelrestoration list this same set-up between $1700 and $1800 depending on the offset. My guess is these wheels are the +4mm and not the 24mm needed for big brakes.

I'm going to pass.

Well, that was easy.

I will regret letting go of the OE wheels, not crazy about chrome, and thow I don't think the guy is trying to pull a fast one he may be misguided on the value of his set-up. Latemodelrestoration list this same set-up between $1700 and $1800 depending on the offset. My guess is these wheels are the +4mm and not the 24mm needed for big brakes.

I'm going to pass.

Maybe he wasn't trying to pull a fast one on you, but you can bet he knew your wheels value and was going to do his best to make a few extra bucks on the deal....You'll find what you're looking for, just be patient...

The polished version is difficult to come by. Seems that black and chrome are easy to locate. I was under the impression that people where using the term polished and chrome interchangeably because I don't recall ever seeing a chrome version of the wheel but I've been assured there are three versions.

I personnally don't think a polished set of wheels and good tires are worth more then $600 after seeing what they are trading at. Obviously new from the dealer is a different story.

I sold mine for $1200 with TPMS sensors and 4K mile BFG tires mounted and balanced....I would have kept them, but just didn't have room to store them at the time and needed the money after buying my GT500 Wheels and Tires...I guess value is in the eyes of the person who has them and the guy who wants them...

WOW! Carl, that really surprises me. I try to judge what is a good price based on what they sell for on average through sites like eBay. I've see many go unsold at $800 or more. They ones that do sell are between $500 and $700.

Right place, right time.

Would the appropriate size wheel spacer solve the problem?

Possibly; I know spacers can be done safely but I don't want the additional unsprung weight. If I was to use spacers I would stick with the OE wheels and have them widened to 9.5" or 10" all the way around. I still play with that idea.

Possibly; I know spacers can be done safely but I don't want the additional unsprung weight. If I was to use spacers I would stick with the OE wheels and have them widened to 9.5" or 10" all the way around. I still play with that idea.

Like, I have said before and say it again Tirerack.com they have great deals alway's going on. Just about every car I have owned my tire and rims come from them.

If you are looking for 20" Razors I have 2 Silver (Anthrocite) for sale with Nitto 555 Extreme tires and TMPS. I bought the 2 for track days for my 40th Anniversary fronts. They fit over Brembo's and are in great shape. I paid over $1100 for the 2 all new. If interested, shoot me an offer.

I also sold a complete set of SGT tires, wheels, & TMPS for $750 for a reference as to their value.

Dr. Jon

post-18629-127536232918_thumb.jpg

post-18629-127536232918_thumb.jpg

In Muscle Mustangs and Fast Ford's, they advertise 20" Razor's with the same tires for $1,300 if I recall correctly. If it were me, I'd save another $700 over what he wants and keep the OEM's. If you were ever to sell the car, you could put the OEM's back on and make some money off the Razor's. Just my $0.02...

Archived