TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Edmunds GT v GT500 Buildup

rpenna

I can't wait to see Part 2. The ten grand they invested will certainly move the notch upward on performance, where is what I want to see.

Interesting article, but I don't think it will beat a GT500. The difference in displacement means the GT500 will have more torque under the curve than a blown 4.6L will. Even if both cars made 500 hp the GT500 will still have the advantage with the higher torque out put.

Plus they are comparing a modified GT to a stock GT500. Mod the GT500 and it's no contest.

Don't get me wrong I like the GT enough to buy one and the mods will definitely increase it's performance. IMO if you want a car that performs like a GT500 save your ten grand and buy one.

I have a very modified GT and the GT500 and experience first hand tells me if there were MINOR mods to the 500 suspension it will cream any GT. However, without handling upgrades the GT500 is wild to handle on any real track test. The GT is sweet...leaving Porsches and Corvettes wondering what happened. Sports Car International will be featuring an article Shelby GT500 vs. Roush Stage 3...keep your eyes open for that one.

I think they wanted to see if they could "build" a GT that performs as well - or better - than a Shelby - for less money.

They could have (should?) have stayed NA and spent some money to upgrade the rotors/calipers instead of the Vortech.

The GT has a significant weight advantage to begin with - so less hp is needed to get the same performance - and the handling will be better with a more balanced f/r distribution.

I've got $34k in my car and with about $3k more in suspension/brakes, I'd probably be competitive on a road course with a Shelby.

Thanks!

My car is a daily driver - and a stop-light bad guy!

I don't have the pockets to track the car.

But - I have surprised a number of folks who don't listen to the rumble of the Bassanis! :redcard:

The brakes (even with the Hawks), however, suck.

I'd love to have some 14" slotted Brembos.

I think they wanted to see if they could "build" a GT that performs as well - or better - than a Shelby - for less money.

They could have (should?) have stayed NA and spent some money to upgrade the rotors/calipers instead of the Vortech.

The GT has a significant weight advantage to begin with - so less hp is needed to get the same performance - and the handling will be better with a more balanced f/r distribution.

I've got $34k in my car and with about $3k more in suspension/brakes, I'd probably be competitive on a road course with a Shelby.

I'm with you on this one RUF. I'm staying NA. I'm looking at doing a CAI, Longtube headers, X pipe, Stage 3 Cams, ported heads, Fast Intake (if and when it comes out), CM deletes, throttle body and of course a tune. That should put me over 400hp at the crank.

I posted this yesterday, but for whatever reason, it's gone (maybe I didn't hit submit hard enough?? So here it is again....

There's no way you can beat a GT500 staying NA ....AND stay on budget. You could set it up to take a GT500 in the turns, but the GT500 would absolutely make it up in the straightaways....bus-lengths. The advantage in weight isn't significant enough to allow a NA car to out-accelerate it.

Another problem I have with this build up is the fact that even if you equal the performance of the GT500, your warranty will be gone - way, way gone. That's worth something. They didn't say anything about bigger fuel injectors either, or some way to boost the fuel pump output. If it's really going to put out 460 hp, the stock fuel system won't cut it (I'll allow that maybe they forgot to mention that as I find it hard to believe they'd put a supercharger on without upgrading fuel delivery). Plus, the reality is that given a relatively small additional investment in the GT500, now you're trying to compete with 600 hp. Try that with a regular GT and you'd better have a large bucket handy to catch the parts as you scatter them up and down the road.

Another not insignificant reality is that the average person will have much more invested in labor - most don't have the time, skills or tools necessary to do all the mods correctly themselves.

I maintain that when considering ALL things, not just HP, the GT500 is an excellent value even with the ADM's. Speaking of that, $75k?? That's about $15k more than the going rate these days.

I'll call it right now; as it stands, the Project Mustang will get creamed by the GT500.

(edit) ok, I found my previous post - it's on the parallel topic in the GT500 discussion forum....

I completely agree with everything you said BUT lets not forget these Shelby's are getting no where near even 500hp to the rear wheels stock....still not 500 with a custom tune. It would take more than a small investment to get the GT500 to 600hp. And again, they do need help in the handling department.

I completely agree with everything you said BUT lets not forget these Shelby's are getting no where near even 500hp to the rear wheels stock....still not 500 with a custom tune. It would take more than a small investment to get the GT500 to 600hp. And again, they do need help in the handling department.

When I said "small" investment I'm talking about $2500. When we're already in the area of $40k - $60k, that's not too tough to swallow. Consider that there are very few other cars out there, if any, that can gain 100 hp on $2500 (not counting NO2).

And if they really want to stick with a comparison to a $75k Shelby, then let's invest that excess $15k in some serious hp, since you can really get one for around $60k.

All this aside, as a long time Mustang owner, I can definitely appreciate what they're trying to do - hell, I'd do it too if I had the moeny. But I would at least like to see something a bit more realistic in terms of labor costs and what it really costs to get a Shelby these days. It just looks like they're deliberately trying to create more of an imbalance than it should be (editorial liberties taken for effect).

Archived