TEAM SHELBY FORUM

This car is embarrassing!

Here in Western KY we’ve just gone from 40’s at night and cool, rainy 50’s & 60’s in the daylight (what little there’s been of it) to near record highs and August-like humidity. Everyone with a convertible or bike is out cruising (and sweating), but we’re enjoying it! Anyway, so wife and I drive GT 500 to Church Sunday, which always gets drools and slobbering from the teenage boys, but we took a short cruise afterwards. I’m heading down the boulevard when I spot this kid in a pre-2005 Mustang nearly rip his head off turning to see me going by. He jumps out in traffic and pulls along side, grinning from ear to ear, gives me a big thumbs up and then pulls ahead and then drops back, eyeing the car all along. Ok, the kid liked it, so what? But then yesterday I made a visit over to a sleepy little neighboring college town and while wife was busy, I cruised some of my old college-day back streets. I rounded a corner next to an open air café and was immediately greeted by oooh’s and aaah’s and a yelled, “Cool car man!” from the patrons. When I picked her up I told my wife how embarrassing it is to drive this thing and I think she thought I was exaggerating. So, when we pulled up to the local DQ, top down, and this used to be the sight of many a tire smoking demonstration, there were more than a couple of folk’s heads that turned. Naturally, I’m self conscious, so I imagine there were more than there actually were……but, this kid cruises by in a 2005+ Mustang GT and nearly falls out the door looking at my car. I laughed and asked my wife if she saw that, she didn’t, but the lady standing in line in front of me laughed and said she did. I reminded my wife that my ‘65 was great pulling out of there and turning the tires in 2nd right in front of the DQ, but she didn’t think it would be a good idea tonight. We get our treats and head out of town, for home, top still down and just before we hit the city limits I see what appears to be the same Mustang coming the opposite direction. He slams on the brakes, cuts across a lane of traffic, flip flops and comes screaming up through traffic to catch me. We pull even at the next red light and he rolls his window down and says, “Cool car man! I love it, especially the color.” His is also Alloy Metallic. He’s got it fixed up nice, big Y spoke chrome rims, wide tires and a really sweet exhaust sound. I tell him thank you and I like the color too and the light turns green and we drive away. My wife is smiling but muttering under her breath, “Don’t you dare!” So we pull away civilly and he drives off ahead of me. About 200 yards later I put on my right blinker to make the turn, heading out of town. He immediately pulls into the right lane and makes the turn ahead of me. We pulled over on the shoulder and put the top up for the ride home and I pull out and set the cruise at 63 mph. Half a mile ahead, guess who I see, dawdling along in the left lane? So for about 6 miles I ease past him and a few hundred yards later he eases past me. I never take the cruise off, so he’s the one doing the up and back maneuver. His car has a really sweet sound, louvers on the side windows, tinted glass, black out panel on the rear and sequential turn signals—he’s really got it done up nice. Finally, he pulls along side, rolls the window down and makes a twirling motion with his index finger and then makes a “just a little bit” gesture with his fingers. My wife has relaxed some what and I said, I’ve got to go, so I tapped the brakes to take off the cruise, slipped it into 4th, floored it and touched 115 before I let off of. I coasted back down and he hurried up to pull along side, laughing and giving me 2 thumbs up. I waved and then he had to show what he had, I saw him downshift and off he went, exhaust howling. About 300 yards ahead, he nailed the brakes, gave me a wave and flip flopped again, going back home, I presume. He followed me at least 8 miles out of town just to see if I would let it go. I was impressed because he didn’t try to drag me, just wanted to see what I had and show me what he had. I gave him a big wave and reset my cruise control at 63. Wife asked what I thought he’d tell his friends and I said, probably, “Man you should have seen this old man in this GT 500……” After I told my son this story he said, “Did Mom have to put the top down to get your head out?”

It’s really embarrassing to drive this thing………

OK, you got me :hysterical:

When I read the title of the thread, well....I assumed something totally different.

Yea man. I love this car. Sooo many people appreciate it and let that be known. Besides a rocking ride, we are makin memories BIG TIME :beerchug:

Floor it and blow past people? Nope, no way. Wanne give em time to take it all in :headspin:

Here in Western KY we’ve just gone from 40’s at night and cool, rainy 50’s & 60’s in the daylight (what little there’s been of it) to near record highs and August-like humidity. Everyone with a convertible or bike is out cruising (and sweating), but we’re enjoying it! Anyway, so wife and I drive GT 500 to Church Sunday, which always gets drools and slobbering from the teenage boys, but we took a short cruise afterwards. I’m heading down the boulevard when I spot this kid in a pre-2005 Mustang nearly rip his head off turning to see me going by. He jumps out in traffic and pulls along side, grinning from ear to ear, gives me a big thumbs up and then pulls ahead and then drops back, eyeing the car all along. Ok, the kid liked it, so what? But then yesterday I made a visit over to a sleepy little neighboring college town and while wife was busy, I cruised some of my old college-day back streets. I rounded a corner next to an open air café and was immediately greeted by oooh’s and aaah’s and a yelled, “Cool car man!” from the patrons. When I picked her up I told my wife how embarrassing it is to drive this thing and I think she thought I was exaggerating. So, when we pulled up to the local DQ, top down, and this used to be the sight of many a tire smoking demonstration, there were more than a couple of folk’s heads that turned. Naturally, I’m self conscious, so I imagine there were more than there actually were……but, this kid cruises by in a 2005+ Mustang GT and nearly falls out the door looking at my car. I laughed and asked my wife if she saw that, she didn’t, but the lady standing in line in front of me laughed and said she did. I reminded my wife that my ‘65 was great pulling out of there and turning the tires in 2nd right in front of the DQ, but she didn’t think it would be a good idea tonight. We get our treats and head out of town, for home, top still down and just before we hit the city limits I see what appears to be the same Mustang coming the opposite direction. He slams on the brakes, cuts across a lane of traffic, flip flops and comes screaming up through traffic to catch me. We pull even at the next red light and he rolls his window down and says, “Cool car man! I love it, especially the color.” His is also Alloy Metallic. He’s got it fixed up nice, big Y spoke chrome rims, wide tires and a really sweet exhaust sound. I tell him thank you and I like the color too and the light turns green and we drive away. My wife is smiling but muttering under her breath, “Don’t you dare!” So we pull away civilly and he drives off ahead of me. About 200 yards later I put on my right blinker to make the turn, heading out of town. He immediately pulls into the right lane and makes the turn ahead of me. We pulled over on the shoulder and put the top up for the ride home and I pull out and set the cruise at 63 mph. Half a mile ahead, guess who I see, dawdling along in the left lane? So for about 6 miles I ease past him and a few hundred yards later he eases past me. I never take the cruise off, so he’s the one doing the up and back maneuver. His car has a really sweet sound, louvers on the side windows, tinted glass, black out panel on the rear and sequential turn signals—he’s really got it done up nice. Finally, he pulls along side, rolls the window down and makes a twirling motion with his index finger and then makes a “just a little bit” gesture with his fingers. My wife has relaxed some what and I said, I’ve got to go, so I tapped the brakes to take off the cruise, slipped it into 4th, floored it and touched 115 before I let off of. I coasted back down and he hurried up to pull along side, laughing and giving me 2 thumbs up. I waved and then he had to show what he had, I saw him downshift and off he went, exhaust howling. About 300 yards ahead, he nailed the brakes, gave me a wave and flip flopped again, going back home, I presume. He followed me at least 8 miles out of town just to see if I would let it go. I was impressed because he didn’t try to drag me, just wanted to see what I had and show me what he had. I gave him a big wave and reset my cruise control at 63. Wife asked what I thought he’d tell his friends and I said, probably, “Man you should have seen this old man in this GT 500……” After I told my son this story he said, “Did Mom have to put the top down to get your head out?”

It’s really embarrassing to drive this thing………

I believe you just made a perfect case for DRIVING Shelbys as opposed to just looking at them sitting in the garage. I drive my SGT every day and just about every day someone responds like in your story. Only my vintage 1968 Ford Bronco gets this type of attention. nice story and thanks for sharing it !!

hardly embarrassing IMHO. I get that from time to time as well when I'm out with the top down, which btw, is always (well 40* or more) and love it! As to the wife..... sounds like a bit of a wet blanket, mine would have said "blow his doors off" happy%20feet.gif

Then Get a SMART car, if your that embarresed........

Had to do that, as you fooled me as well with the title... Great story... I too love the looks and the attention these cars get... But also sounds like your wife and my wife are like 2 pea's in a pod... Again great story, and enjoy the GT500...

+1

That's so true!

While I love the comments, stares, and general gawking :drool: , it can be a little embarrassing.

But nothing thrills me more than to let a kid sit in it while I crank it up at a show or cruise. Carroll would like that... Passing on the passion.

+1

That's so true!

While I love the comments, stares, and general gawking :drool: , it can be a little embarrassing.

But nothing thrills me more than to let a kid sit in it while I crank it up at a show or cruise. Carroll would like that... Passing on the passion.

Cannot agree with you more. The comments and gawking get a little embarrassing from time-to-time, but letting others sit in a Shelby or take a drive around the block is much more fun.

Great story Wheelman. I wasn't expecting that at all. Good to see others are getting respect towards their cars. Seems to be lacking in the NW these days...unless it's another Shelby. :)

Nice story, thanks!

My wife would have said "don't do it", then would have giggled like a little school girl when I went ahead and did it anyways. :)

+1 on the wife's comment

maybe they compare notes with each other...

Just got done making the rounds of graduation parties - of course there were lots of teen boys at these parties and all wanted a ride. I had just gotten done installing several go-fast parts and needed to test them out anyway (LCAs included) so I gave them a good work out. The expression on these kids faces after the ride was just priceless. Ear to ear grin and an inability to put together a proper sentence. Yes, these are awesome cars that get lots of attention and we love them but just like the orgs that say "take a kid fishing" or "take a kid hunting" don't forget "take a kid for a ride". Can you imagine the conversations these kids will be having with all their friends? We will be creating the next generation of Shelby / Mustang fans. And if it stops some of them from buying a chevy or dodge - all the better!

doh.gif Yeah it's pretty embarrassing when some clown while I'm at Dairy Queen with my girl and in front of other people asks me if my GT500 is "a real Shelby or just a decal and badge dealer fake." redcard.gif He then goes on to say that he owns a "GT350" and that Ford built "fake" Shelbys like mine slapfight.gif and that his was the only one built at the Shelby factory. I got very annoyed pretty quickly. So I ask him what year his "GT350" is, he says it's a 2007 fool.gif. I replied that Shelby just started building GT350's and they are 2011's, and that he has a Shelby GT. He says oh yeah that's right I do talkhand.gif. I then give him a little history lesson that explained how Carroll Shelby worked with Ford's SVT team to design the GT500 happy%20feet.gif . At that point he could tell that I was pretty annoyed with his ignorance and thanked me for the info and left rolleyes.gif. I suspect he was a victim of his highly ignorant salesperson who told him whatever he wanted to hear to sell the car. He did say he really wasn't interested in the car at first but the deal was too good to pass on, and that he bought it because he was told it was a "real" Shelby doh.gif.

doh.gif Yeah it's pretty embarrassing when some clown while I'm at Dairy Queen with my girl and in front of other people asks me if my GT500 is "a real Shelby or just a decal and badge dealer fake." redcard.gif He then goes on to say that he owns a "GT350" and that Ford built "fake" Shelbys like mine slapfight.gif and that his was the only one built at the Shelby factory. I got very annoyed pretty quickly. So I ask him what year his "GT350" is, he says it's a 2007 fool.gif. I replied that Shelby just started building GT350's and they are 2011's, and that he has a Shelby GT. He says oh yeah that's right I do talkhand.gif. I then give him a little history lesson that explained how Carroll Shelby worked with Ford's SVT team to design the GT500 happy%20feet.gif . At that point he could tell that I was pretty annoyed with his ignorance and thanked me for the info and left rolleyes.gif. I suspect he was a victim of his highly ignorant salesperson who told him whatever he wanted to hear to sell the car. He did say he really wasn't interested in the car at first but the deal was too good to pass on, and that he bought it because he was told it was a "real" Shelby doh.gif.

Hahaa. way to educate em! that backfired on him pretty hard.

"Real Shelby"? Yeah! Over Memorial Day Weekend a kid stopped me in the WalMart parking lot to ask if mine was a "real GT 500" He said he thought all GT 500 had the twin stripes on it. I told him mine was an 07 and verts didn't come with those stripes. In fact, mine was the 2nd vert made in that color and the 19th off the line. I also pointed out the Shelby dash plaque. He seemed impressed that I could rattle off info like that at the drop of a hat. My wife said, "you live for moments like that, don't you?" Of course!

:peelout: If I would not have dropped the hammer on that guy my wife would have told me to get into the passanger seat so she could handle it. She ain't scared!!! And yes ours get attention everywhere we go! It's nice to know people enjoy our cars as much as we do.

Archived