TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Any way to take off center caps w/out taking off wheels?

Is there a way to do this, I wanted to swap out my SVT center caps on the OEM wheels for these Cobra caps.

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/p1130shelby.htm

As far as I know you need to take the wheels off. I replaced my stock SVT caps on my 2010 with Cobra Center Caps. There is a tension ring inside that keeps the tabs pressured outwards so the caps won't come off. That's not to say you can't pry them off from the outside, as some worthless piece of (censored) proved on my last Mustang when he pried all the caps off to steal. Of course you will probably scratch the rims that way. Besides you have to get back inside the rim to put the tension ring back on once you put the new caps on. Best just to take the wheels off for that.

As far as I know you need to take the wheels off. I replaced my stock SVT caps on my 2010 with Cobra Center Caps. There is a tension ring inside that keeps the tabs pressured outwards so the caps won't come off. That's not to say you can't pry them off from the outside, as some worthless piece of (censored) proved on my last Mustang when he pried all the caps off to steal. Of course you will probably scratch the rims that way. Besides you have to get back inside the rim to put the tension ring back on once you put the new caps on. Best just to take the wheels off for that.

Thanks. Do you hapen to have apicture of the caps on your wheels? Do they look good and sit flush?

Best to take them off. Any other way will most likely cause, at the very least, scratches to the wheels, or break the caps themselves. If the new caps don't fit properly you will want to be able to put the OEM ones back on.

Best to take them off. Any other way will most likely cause, at the very least, scratches to the wheels, or break the caps themselves. If the new caps don't fit properly you will want to be able to put the OEM ones back on.

You guys are correct, the wheels need to come off. I have the 2010 GT500 and have had mine off twice while doing suspension mods and such. Take a rubber handle mallet or other soft handled tool and just lightly hit the center caps form the back side, they pop right off. Make sure to catch them on a soft towel! I do have a question for those that have changed theirs. I too want to replace my SVT center caps with the Shelby snake style but I noticed those adds all say "will not fit GT500" wheels, which I of course have. (stock 2010 style) Who makes some that will fit??

Thanks in advance for any help. Steve

Thanks. Do you hapen to have apicture of the caps on your wheels? Do they look good and sit flush?

Tim,

I will see if I have a picture otherwise I will take some in the next day or two...down with the flu. I think they look great. They don't sit quite as flush as the orginal SVT caps but they don't stick out to a degree that bothers me (and I can be pretty anal about such things). I guess it just is a matter of your likes are. I will also see if I can find the item number of the caps I used for you as well. I believe I got them from Summit Racing if I recall correctly.

Tim,

I will see if I have a picture otherwise I will take some in the next day or two...down with the flu. I think they look great. They don't sit quite as flush as the orginal SVT caps but they don't stick out to a degree that bothers me (and I can be pretty anal about such things). I guess it just is a matter of your likes are. I will also see if I can find the item number of the caps I used for you as well. I believe I got them from Summit Racing if I recall correctly.

Thank you, that was my concern, how they site in the center of the wheel.

Tim,

I ordered these which are different than the ones you were looking at. They are from Summit Racing part # FMS-M-1096-CA. They fit fine on my stock 2010 GT500 wheels but as I said that is just my opinion. If you like the look you might want to order just one to test fit and see if you like the fit since they are sold individually and not as a set of 4.

post-26239-127492161887_thumb.jpg

post-26239-127492163561_thumb.jpg

post-26239-127492165373_thumb.jpg

post-26239-127492161887_thumb.jpg

post-26239-127492163561_thumb.jpg

post-26239-127492165373_thumb.jpg

I ordered these which are different than the ones you were looking at. They are from Summit Racing part # FMS-M-1096-CA. They fit fine on my stock 2010 GT500 wheels but as I said that is just my opinion. If you like the look you might want to order just one to test fit and see if you like the fit since they are sold individually and not as a set of 4.

Thanks for posting, the y look good. I may just order the ones above and take a chance. Thanks again!

Archived