TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby/Scott Drake Hood Struts

I need some help.

I purchased nearly new Shelby hood strut kit from a member here and I cannot compress the struts at all. I cannot even install them on the brackets because they will not compress. I've spoken with the member from who I purchased kit from and I confident that the struts worked when I purchased them so I assuming there is something I've gotten wrong or don't understand.

Has anyone else had issues with the Shelby strut kit? Any suggestion on what may be the issue?

I need some help.

I purchased nearly new Shelby hood strut kit from a member here and I cannot compress the struts at all. I cannot even install them on the brackets because they will not compress. I've spoken with the member from who I purchased kit from and I confident that the struts worked when I purchased them so I assuming there is something I've gotten wrong or don't understand.

Has anyone else had issues with the Shelby strut kit? Any suggestion on what may be the issue?

I certainly am no mechanic, but I too had this happen when I bought another brand hood strut kit. I fought the things forever trying everything I could think of to "compress" one so I could get it on. Then I realized, very slowly realized unfortunately, that the hood would rise open more than it was sitting on the hood prop. I lifted the hood hgher until it opened far enough that the strut easily popped on with virtually no effort. Don't know if this is the same thing you are looking at, but it kinda sounds like it.

I certainly am no mechanic, but I too had this happen when I bought another brand hood strut kit. I fought the things forever trying everything I could think of to "compress" one so I could get it on. Then I realized, very slowly realized unfortunately, that the hood would rise open more than it was sitting on the hood prop. I lifted the hood hgher until it opened far enough that the strut easily popped on with virtually no effort. Don't know if this is the same thing you are looking at, but it kinda sounds like it.

I AM a mechanic and I did the exact same thing when I first installed my struts! :lol:

DOES ANYONE MAKE A HOOD STRUT KIT FOR THE GT-H? I ONCE BOUGHT A KIT ON EBAY AND IT DIDN'T MATCH UP UNDER THE HOOD.

Since I do not have the GT-H hood on my car I am not sure if the Shelby / Scott Drake ones fit, but I would certainly check into it as they look great. On the standard GT hood, they fit all the factory mounts and do not require any drilling.

Thanks guys. Yes after I called myself a few choice names all sounding much like "DUMBA$$", I lifted the hood off the prop rod another inch or so and everything slid into place. Looks pretty good in my opinion.

I know it's all about leverage but I was surprised that I could not compress the struts by hand. In fact I put nearly half of my considerable weight on one of the struts and it would not budge. But, one strut cannot hold up the hood. Then again, it is possible my wife hid some kryptonite somewhere on my workbench.....

Thanks guys. Yes after I called myself a few choice names all sounding much like "DUMBA$$", I lifted the hood off the prop rod another inch or so and everything slid into place. Looks pretty good in my opinion.

I know it's all about leverage but I was surprised that I could not compress the struts by hand. In fact I put nearly half of my considerable weight on one of the struts and it would not budge. But, one strut cannot hold up the hood. Then again, it is possible my wife hid some kryptonite somewhere on my workbench.....

OK Jason, you know the rules here....now that you have everything installed, this post is worthless without pics!!!!

Archived