TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Does everyone want to race you?

Embalmer

I was stopped at a light today in a congested area of town - the light turned green and the kid in the Yukon Denali next to me waited so I could race him. How the heck can I race in town with cars 200 feet ahead of me? He gunned it and "beat" me by 2 carlengths, but that's all we "raced". Another thing I notice is most of the people that actually stop and stare at the car are adolescent boys.

Yeah, wait until the Vette passing you going over 55 in a 35, while the car in front of you is turning, thinks he won the race. :hysterical2: We didn't know he was racing us until he turned off about a mile up the road and gave us the thumbs down. How cheap is that. I'm sure he's told all his Vette Club friends that he blew away a Shelby GT500. What he doesn't know is that the first little car show I run into him at I'm surely going to burst his bubble in a big way. I was thinking of Photoshoping a picture of his Vette being clouded out in dust as the Shelby's passing him. This picture on a teeshirt would be excellent. The expression on his face when I walk up to him wearing it.....PRICELESS!!!

Oh, of course the words "NOW... FOR THE REAL STORY" printed on the shirt also.

Happens to me all the time - especially guys in trucks...... its funny the response this car elicits from people......

What i see in my shelby our admires mostly. The go fast cars ... admire it when they pull up next to it .. ask me a few questions .... I tell them its been modded .. different gears .... tune CAI .. and is about 600 at the crank ... they wave and mose on down the road ... dont want to challenge it.

Most know they cant win and they just appreciate being able to look at Shelby next to them. Had a real sweet looking newer camaro ... modded out .. sounds bad as hell .. about 440 hp so said the owner. We didnt race ... just appreciated each others car and preceded to take off at a brisk pace.

In our County if u drag race you go to jail ... they cant take the car but they will obviously tow it.

dond

I was stopped at a light today in a congested area of town - the light turned green and the kid in the Yukon Denali next to me waited so I could race him. How the heck can I race in town with cars 200 feet ahead of me? He gunned it and "beat" me by 2 carlengths, but that's all we "raced". Another thing I notice is most of the people that actually stop and stare at the car are adolescent boys.

Not a smart place to play, especially with a Yukon :hysterical2: I pick my places with great care.

What i see in my shelby our admires mostly. The go fast cars ... admire it when they pull up next to it .. ask me a few questions .... I tell them its been modded .. different gears .... tune CAI .. and is about 600 at the crank ... they wave and mose on down the road ... dont want to challenge it.

Most know they cant win and they just appreciate being able to look at Shelby next to them. Had a real sweet looking newer camaro ... modded out .. sounds bad as hell .. about 440 hp so said the owner. We didnt race ... just appreciated each others car and preceded to take off at a brisk pace.

In our County if u drag race you go to jail ... they cant take the car but they will obviously tow it.

dond

dond, my car looks like yours. Had it since August and any day I have the car out there is comments, someone wants to take you on or they have thier cell phone hanging out the window trying to take pictures of you. This has been a lot of fun! Oh, saw a guy driving a GT40 and he gave me a wave...I'll guarantee you if I was in my 2005 Mustang GT there would have no wave! If you don't like attention then you should not waste your time with the Shelby.

Yeah I get challenged all the time but I don't street race. It's not worth the risk. I could end up wrecking my car and hurting myself or worse yet some one else. I usually just ignore them or if they are really persistant tell em to bring it to the local track on the weekend. Nine out of ten times they never show up. :shift:

• 3 months later...

Actually, yeah! Ever since I got my GT a month ago. An S10 Blazer, Maxima, Acura TL, Passat... the list grows almost daily. I'm waiting to find a real car to race me. I get the impression that the Mustang GT is the benchmark that others try to beat on the street.

Actually, yeah! Ever since I got my GT a month ago. An S10 Blazer, Maxima, Acura TL, Passat... the list grows almost daily. I'm waiting to find a real car to race me. I get the impression that the Mustang GT is the benchmark that others try to beat on the street.

Goodness, hell yeah. You name it and they want to race ol' Shelby Lynne. I haven't raced anyone - yet. Trust me, it's been difficult not to on occasion :)

It is amazing the response that these cars do get from others. GT or GT500, it's something else.

:hysterical2::hysterical2:

Really? You pick your places with great care. Good form. :hysterical2:

I pick mine carefully, too. For example, at a traffic light, on NC 12, against another GT500 with "traction issues". Video will be posted eventually, along with commentary from the co pilot.

Funny ... it seems to me that those who rev there motors and speed past ya are the pickups .... ricers .... wannabes ... etc .... the true hard core muscle cars know better .. they respect the snake and know better than to mess it ...

On side note ..... here i am trailing my shelby home ... on a two lane highway ... doing 55 ... and i see this old pickup .. loud dual exhaust .. trys to pass me on the straightaway( well he does pass me).

I see him coming up in my left door mirror and i look ahead and see this 18 wheeler tanker coming towards us in the oppsite lane. I knew immediatly based on distances this was bad situation. I MEAN BAD.

I didnt hesitiate ..... I braked immediatly ... very heavy and thats me in tow mind u with my shelby behind me .. in a 1990 F 250 ... the 18 wheeler knew it was bad .... and a split second later realised he either would hit the guy .. or go into the grass ... he literally had his right front tire go onto the shoulder of the grass .. to miss this yeehoo ..... IDIOT ! ... would have killed him .. possibly involved me ... and most assuredly the 18 wheeler ....

It was that close ....

• 3 months later...

Last night I was at a light when it turned green. The kid next to me I didn't notice that he wanted to race me with his Neon. I heard something weird like a corked-up exhaust struggling to get the air out. I think it was a SRT turbo car. Anyways, it was too late and I was already in the wrong gear- I couldn't keep up with him. I pull up next to him to talk. He says to me, "So how does it feel to get beat by a stock Neon?" I said, "Ok you want to race? See ya at the next light..." The next few lights were just flashing yellow so we decided to do the '3-beep' horn start. He performs the horn beeps and on the 3rd one I GO. No mercy. Especially after that comment about getting beat by a stock Neon. I blew that car away by about 10 car lengths extremely promptly. I let off the gas to give him some time to catch up. I'm yawning waiting for him to finally catch up then I give him the thumbs up as he goes by. I see him at the next light calling his friends on the cell phone to tell them that he just beat a Mustang GT. Unbelievable.

I was driving home last night in rush hour traffic in Houston (which is miserable) when a nitrous powered Civic pulls up next to me and starts making some kind of weasley noise with these can dealios on the back of his car. Now, I have this kid on my left, a Dodge Truck on my right, and an 18 wheeler about 10 feet from my bumper in front of me. Keep in mind we are travelling at an average of 10 miles per hour at this point.

I looked over and laughed and the little bastard gave me the finger. Not saying I followed him, but we "happened" to exit at the same time and I blew past him on the feeder road. He didn't bother trying to catch up.

I get this :censored: in my stock v-6...sentra se-r that was absolutely spinning his tires, while I was normal accelerating. I hear this <sqeak><sqeak><sqeak> and think somethings wrong with my car, I look over and there he is edging past me. I continue driving normally just shaking my head. what's the point in damaging my car? lol

I was driving home last night in rush hour traffic in Houston (which is miserable) when a nitrous powered Civic pulls up next to me and starts making some kind of weasley noise with these can dealios on the back of his car. Now, I have this kid on my left, a Dodge Truck on my right, and an 18 wheeler about 10 feet from my bumper in front of me. Keep in mind we are travelling at an average of 10 miles per hour at this point.

I looked over and laughed and the little bastard gave me the finger. Not saying I followed him, but we "happened" to exit at the same time and I blew past him on the feeder road. He didn't bother trying to catch up.

You have to start carrying a pair of chopsticks so you can say "I eat ricers for breakfast" in sign language. Shows more imagination than single finger salute :hysterical2:

yeah those pesky Mopar muscle trucks!! Too bad for them it takes double the horsepower to match the acceleration of the Mustang

Thank you all for writing these stories! I don't have my Stang yet, but, some day. Maybe when the Boss comes out, don't know yet. For the time being, I'll have to live vicariously through you guys.

I don't know what it is about "these kids today", but, they seriously rub me the wrong way, and (maybe it shouldn't) but it gives me great pleasure putting the smack talkers in their place. Granted, as some of you have mentioned, I choose the time and place carefully. Some times you just have to let go of pride for safety's sake. Rubbing their nose in it isn't worth someone losing their life.

I had a personal realization with this, coming home from work one time. I was working graves and got off at 6am. I have a '93 BMW 325i with CAI and chip, and on the way home one morning, a guy in a mid sized truck pulls up next to me at the light, and starts reving his engine. I decide to go, and at the green, we hit it. My car is by no means a sports car, but, I've had no problem whatsoever dusting the ricers with "can" only mods (whom also seem to talk the most smack). This guy in the truck is, surprisingly, giving me a run for my money! I was finding that my only real advantage over him was my 6,500 redline, and yet I was only inching ahead of him. It irritated me that a truck was staying with me, so I started shifting beyond my redline, into the 7,000 rpm range (stupid, I know), and, when "common sense" finally caught up with me, I looked down at the speedo to see 110 MPH! I immediately let off the gas (heart pounding a hundred miles an hour at the thought that I could have killed someone) and braked to the speed limit. It taught me a lesson I won't soon forget, and since then, if I do race someone at a street light, I observe the situation ahead and only race to the speed limit, then let off. That's usually enough to let you know who's boss anyway.

It's funny that when you're young, testosterone tends to rule most decisions like that, and when you get older (at least in my experience) wisdom rules most similar decisions.

- Josh

..I had just pulled out of the rail yard with mine, all wrappers still on and 5 on the odometer, when some young punk in an older mustang, loud pipes and big hood, drove left of me, revved his engine, and roared off. I guess he got to brag that he just scared a new shelby owner :hysterical2: I was still just trying to figure out how all of the controls worked :hysterical: Challenged a couple times since, 350Z and 400 hp gto; both of them went down in defeat. I suppose I really do have a small competitive edge to my personality :happy feet:

Almost any pickup in town tries to race I really don't know what they think.... I just :hysterical2: where they can see me.

One guy was so into it, he didn't see the cop sitting directly behind me at a light and lit them up so nice in a Harley truck... the cop almost rear ended me thinking I was going to do it too. :hysterical2: by the time I was in 4th, I was doing all of about 35 and passing the both of them by, the cop just looked up and waved and smiled as he was walking up to the truck a couple blocks down.

GTOs around here seem to like to mess with you. I had one that I actually spanked pretty hard on an empty open road and when he rolled into a parking lot later on that night, he and his friend got out, and his friend was laughing so hard. It seemed he had just beat a "cloned" GT with 500 badges a couple days ago and thought it was a real Shelby. His friend kept trying to tell him it wasn't... I just smiled.

One that got my attention was the little Suburu WRX or whatever...wow...they are quick.

All time best...was Christmas I was in El Paso seeing some family I had just got my car and I took my nephew in law out in it...as soon as I turned down an empty street and stood all the way into it...I look up to see on the next block...and unmark police car...at the end of the block I was doing over 60 and smoke and crap was flying everywhere...I shut it down and pulled within about 2 inches of our mirrors touching...he rolled down his tinted window and yelled, "are you trying to race me?" and smiled real big...I told him how sorry I was, wasn't from there, just taking this kid for a ride, just got the car, didn't mean to disrespect his district....his partner was still laughing in the other seat while he trying to tell me that is was ok, that was the best show they had all month. And then told me Merry Christmas.

One that got my attention was the little Suburu WRX or whatever...wow...they are quick.

That they are. You would be surprised what a turbocharged 2 liter would do

That they are. You would be surprised what a turbocharged 2 liter would do

I agree. Wow, the WRX STi's are smoking fast! It's a bit frustrating too, though. For the same price that you can buy a fully loaded Mustang GT, you can get a WRX STi that will beat a stock GT hands down. BUT, it's just not a Mustang! The WRX looks like a 'boy racer', and sounds like a lawn mower on steroids. I think the designers at Subaru neet to go back to the preverbial 'drawing board'.

A lot of the "kids today" seem to be enamored by 0-60 performance alone. My arguement is: You can make a Volkswagon "Thing", or a minivan do 0-60 in (or close to) 4 seconds too, if you put enough power behind it, but, why would you?

If I might be so bold as to speak for the majority of Mustang fans, I don't think we love our cars purely because of their 0-60 performance, though, that IS part of their alure. It's the absolute genius in it's beautiful design. It's the spine tingling rumble of the easily recognizable exhaust note of the V8. The attention you get just being behind the wheel of a Mustang. And while there are many other things I could add here, the point is, it's the entire package that the Mustang offers, not one single aspect thats made it such a popular and loved car since its inception.

- Josh

I've noticed that about the WRX's also. There is a big difference, however. The upgrade path for that car is a little more limited than for the GT. Subaru has done a good job ringing the performance out of it. The stock GT is just a starting point. Look at the upgrade path: CAI, tunes, cams, headers, throttle body, ported 3v heads, 4v heads, blower, x-pipe, gears, mufflers, etc. It will end up costing more than a WRX but performance always does end up costing more.

As has already been said, my GT looks like a Mustang and it sounds like a muscle car should sound, not like a swarm of killer bees in an echo chamber :hysterical2:

I agree. Wow, the WRX STi's are smoking fast! It's a bit frustrating too, though. For the same price that you can buy a fully loaded Mustang GT, you can get a WRX STi that will beat a stock GT hands down. BUT, it's just not a Mustang! The WRX looks like a 'boy racer', and sounds like a lawn mower on steroids. I think the designers at Subaru neet to go back to the preverbial 'drawing board'.

A lot of the "kids today" seem to be enamored by 0-60 performance alone. My arguement is: You can make a Volkswagon "Thing", or a minivan do 0-60 in (or close to) 4 seconds too, if you put enough power behind it, but, why would you?

If I might be so bold as to speak for the majority of Mustang fans, I don't think we love our cars purely because of their 0-60 performance, though, that IS part of their alure. It's the absolute genius in it's beautiful design. It's the spine tingling rumble of the easily recognizable exhaust note of the V8. The attention you get just being behind the wheel of a Mustang. And while there are many other things I could add here, the point is, it's the entire package that the Mustang offers, not one single aspect thats made it such a popular and loved car since its inception.

- Josh

I agree with you, there's a lot more to a Mustang!! And "If we have to explain- You wouldn't understand!!"

Archived