TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ist oil change is 13 qts alot?

alaska

Unless it has a dry-sump setup you always just add the remaining quart. In the LS1 (which is what I am most familiar with), you could run 6.5-7qts before you even had to THINK about crank windage (stated capacity was 5.5q). I don't recommend anything that drastic on other engines, just saying.

When a V8 is sitting there at idle, you have roughly 1qt circulating through the engine. That drops the amount of oil in the pan down to 5.5qts if you are uber-picky. When you wrap that V8 up to 6K, you have at LEAST 1qt in each head and another on its way down to the pan again. COnservative estimate. That means you now have 3.5qts in that pan. Now consider that you might be pulling .8G sliding it through a corner or slamming hte brakes/gas. That 3.5qts is sloshing pretty badly. Oh wait...what if your car uses 1qt between 4-5K mile changes because you drive it hard, very common. Now you have 2.5qts in the pan, sloshing around wildly. Shit happens. Just add the extra 1/2 qt instead of saving the darn bottle.

I understand your argument, but now I'd like to hear from a Ford engineer as to why they state 6.5 quarts and not 7.

Unless it has a dry-sump setup you always just add the remaining quart. In the LS1 (which is what I am most familiar with), you could run 6.5-7qts before you even had to THINK about crank windage (stated capacity was 5.5q). I don't recommend anything that drastic on other engines, just saying.

When a V8 is sitting there at idle, you have roughly 1qt circulating through the engine. That drops the amount of oil in the pan down to 5.5qts if you are uber-picky. When you wrap that V8 up to 6K, you have at LEAST 1qt in each head and another on its way down to the pan again. COnservative estimate. That means you now have 3.5qts in that pan. Now consider that you might be pulling .8G sliding it through a corner or slamming hte brakes/gas. That 3.5qts is sloshing pretty badly. Oh wait...what if your car uses 1qt between 4-5K mile changes because you drive it hard, very common. Now you have 2.5qts in the pan, sloshing around wildly. Shit happens. Just add the extra 1/2 qt instead of saving the darn bottle.

You forgot to mention the 90% upgrade mountain course that throws your remaining

2.5qts to the back of the pan away from the pick up tube?????????? :hysterical:

You have explained this perfect............I applaud you............. :happy feet:

So the full 7qts people...................."NO WORRIES"!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :salute:

You forgot to mention the 90% upgrade mountain course that throws your remaining

2.5qts to the back of the pan away from the pick up tube?????????? :hysterical:

You have explained this perfect............I applaud you............. :happy feet:

So the full 7qts people...................."NO WORRIES"!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :salute:

:headscratch: You've got an owners manual that states 6.5 quarts based on Ford engineers design requirements.

:headscratch: You've got a warranty that could hinge on not using the clearly defined 6.5 quarts.

:headscratch: You've got some guy on a forum you've never seen/met that makes a good argument, yet you disregard the previous and go with what feels good.

:hysterical: This sounds like the ingredients for religion.

:hysterical: I hearby declare JWG223 the Team Shelby Prophet now known as Shelbus.

:headscratch: You've got an owners manual that states 6.5 quarts based on Ford engineers design requirements.

:headscratch: You've got a warranty that could hinge on not using the clearly defined 6.5 quarts.

:headscratch: You've got some guy on a forum you've never seen/met that makes a good argument, yet you disregard the previous and go with what feels good.

:hysterical: I hearby declare JWG223 the Team Shelby Prophet now known as Shelbus.

I always did think Scientology was the best scheme ever. I'm building off of it :)

You should try Diesel in your Shelby....I mean..I know Ford recommends "Gasoline" - oh come on. It'll be fine...you'll get better gas mileage too! :lol:

"Ford Engineers" also claimed that extensive testing of pre-production 07 GT500s

"Racing Clutch/Flywheels" were "Bulletproof"????????????? :hysterical:

I'm sold. Do I add 7 quarts...or was it 8?

You may wan't to follow the OPs advise and put in the spec 6.5qts and drink the

left over .5qt to lube your "RUSTY BUTT"???????????? :hysterical:

Have you been hanging out with my 9 year old? :hysterical:

Hey now...............I was just referring to the OPs post #10.................. :hysterical:

Seriously though.............I have been busting everyones chops that state you have to

put exactly 6.5qts with oil/filter change.................

Try this to prove a point............Put the full 7qts in with new filter and drive the car

then check the level on dipstick and see if it is just below the top hole...........

The Owner Manual also states when adding oil to not have a level above the

top hole on the dipstick...........So just below the top hole is okay...............

Now did the Good Ford Engineer spec the 6.5qts or the dipstick????????? :doh:

Ok I get the head in rectum award of the day changed oil and filter fired her up and heard gurgling sound shut her down immediately to see a pool of oil on the garage floor, seems when pulled the old filter the gasket didnt come off so another trip to dealer for more synthetic and a lot of kitty litter and cleaning I was able to enjoy the rest of the day.

Been there, done that. Vented 5+ quarts of oil onto my old man's driveway when the double-gasket thing happened to me, way back in my youth.

Now, I make sure I use a lint-free cloth to wipe the filter seating surface before installing a new filter. Overkill? Yes, but it forces you to verify that the old gasket is off.

Also, I dip a CLEAN fingertip into the new bottle of oil, and run my finger around the gasket surface and in the threads of the new filter. Prevents any seizing/sticking.

Archived