TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Top Speed on the Shelby GT?

Ok, I'm guessing it's close to 160. I've pegged the speedo, but it only goes to 150, so I don't really know. What's crazy is there was plenty of pedal and RPM's left, but the front end started to get loose on me, and on regular road conditions I did not want to push it and wreck the thing. I need to make a run at a local AFB runway; that would do it. Back in the 70's they used to allow drag racing at Holloman, AFB in NM. Now, that was the place to run all out. Does anybody know? I'm sure somebody has tried it.

Popular Mechanics did Bonneville runs with a Camaro and GT500 (2010, I think). Camaro topped out around 170-ish. (aerodynamic drag) GT500 was over 180 and the tester thought it could

do much more with different gearing! (aerodynamic drag was not a problem, just the gearing)

My guess is 160 would be close - guess I need a reprogram to by-pass the speed limiter as well!

Sam

At the severe risk of my co-owner (wife) finding out, I have done one run to see how fast it would go on a very special road around here. The spedo goes to 145 mph in 5 mph increments. I had the needle an increment past 145 + a small bit more. I am geussing I had it to 152 mph. Saying that, I honestly do not think it had much more to give. I had it floored for around 5 to 5-1/2 miles. The front end started to feel light, the road was comming to an end so I had to shut it down. I really wish I had noticed the exact rpm's, but I missed that.

Remember, I can not confirm nor deny anything I said. :hysterical:

IT IS MY BELIEF THAT THE SHELBY GT AND THE GT500 ARE ELECTRONICALLY LIMITED TO

THE SPEED OF 156 MPH AT LEAST THATS WHAT THE FACTORY SET THEM AT ; UNTIL THE

TUNERS CHANGE THE REV LIMITERS AND SPEED LIMITERS AMONG

OTHER BOLT-ONS

SCOTTY

I'm not sure about the SGT, but I have had two GT500's to a speedometer indicated 158-160 ish on multiple occasions. Both of these cars had the stock limiter and both happened to be verts also.

The limiter has now been removed and I will be retesting in early October. There will also be several SGT's there. I'll post the results.

As far as the SGT goes, I have to think that with 200 less HP a stock car would top out around 150 or so.

As far as the SGT goes, I have to think that with 200 less HP a stock car would top out around 150 or so.

No... I think the "stock" SGT would make 160-165 if you removed the limiter. I'm sure you would need plenty of road to reach it, though. I've been rock-solid at 150 with plenty left. With the SC....that's a different story! :happy feet:

I have had mine to where my garmin read I was doing 154 but the front end was getting way squirmy, so I pulled out, aint worth wreckin the car. Not to sure how accurate the Garmin is at those speeds.

Chris

I've only had the pleasure of getting up to about 105 mph on the Summit Point Shenandoah straight.

As for you guys lucky enough to live where you can "safely" test top speeds, I'm wondering if the Garmin reading mentioned above is not the most accurate because there's no telling what the speedometer errors might be at that speed.

I've only had the pleasure of getting up to about 105 mph on the Summit Point Shenandoah straight.

As for you guys lucky enough to live where you can "safely" test top speeds, I'm wondering if the Garmin reading mentioned above is not the most accurate because there's no telling what the speedometer errors might be at that speed.

Here's a GPS reading.

IMG00975-20091005-1013.jpg

The speedo was on 135. My observation is that the GPS lagged the speedo by about 5sec. Not too much space to be very scientific.

By the way, it had alot more in it but I ran out of runway as I was cresting a hill.

When mine was bone stock it buried the needle well past the 145 limit.

Scotty's report is what I read: that the car is limited electronically to 156.

No idea what it does now...maybe after the Brembo install and if the right closed road opprotunity comes up again...I do not know what we were pushing at Portland race track on the straights but I know it was way too fast for the stock brakes after 1 lap.

But that did not stop me...haha!

Love these cars...have fun but be safe, mine feels like a rock at any speed, no front end float just lots of hood flutter...and the pins actually kept the hood down one day when I was at speed...do not trust the stock latch...mine let go or something went iffy on it thats for sure.

Cheers!

156 is the factory top speed limit. Before I had mine whipplized it would get up to 125 fairly fast but from 125 to 145 it would take for over to gain any speed but now that it has a Whipple 550 it gets up to 156 extremely fast. For those that haven't supercharged your car your really missing out on some serious fun. happy%20feet.gif

slapfight.gif

156 is the factory top speed limit. Before I had mine whipplized it would get up to 125 fairly fast but from 125 to 145 it would take for over to gain any speed but now that it has a Whipple 550 it gets up to 156 extremely fast. For those that haven't supercharged your car your really missing out on some serious fun. happy%20feet.gif

slapfight.gif

What he said!!!!

Off topic, I'll be in Minnesota in a couple weeks...

At some undisclosed southern Texas town in 2008, I was right at 152 per GPS when I had to back off due another Shelby driver having an incident in front of me. My speed limiter is removed. I was able to reach 162 out in eastern Colorado a few months later. That took quite a bit of time to do, but it did get there. That seemed to be about all she had at this altitude.

• 3 weeks later...

At the severe risk of my co-owner (wife) finding out, I have done one run to see how fast it would go on a very special road around here. The spedo goes to 145 mph in 5 mph increments. I had the needle an increment past 145 + a small bit more. I am geussing I had it to 152 mph. Saying that, I honestly do not think it had much more to give. I had it floored for around 5 to 5-1/2 miles. The front end started to feel light, the road was comming to an end so I had to shut it down. I really wish I had noticed the exact rpm's, but I missed that.

Remember, I can not confirm nor deny anything I said. hysterical.gif

Good one! That's what happened to me, and if these cars have a Top Speed limiter mine is defective. From third to forth the limiter works fine, I found that out during the heat of the battle slapfight.gif with a Beamer...and even with that little mishap I recovered quickly shift.gif , and my "Layla" still blew his doors off, she didn't let me down!

At some undisclosed southern Texas town in 2008, I was right at 152 per GPS when I had to back off due another Shelby driver having an incident in front of me. My speed limiter is removed. I was able to reach 162 out in eastern Colorado a few months later. That took quite a bit of time to do, but it did get there. That seemed to be about all she had at this altitude.

I was there during that incident. BTW, how is that young lad doing?

With the speed limiter off 170-175mph, under the right conditions, road(a very special road), 22 miles of uninterrupted(except for potato trucks pulling out of the fields) :hysterical: , and straight as an arrow it is possible. I have witnessed them going 160+. To go any faster than 175 you're going to need some serious HP, probably 700+ and some aero work done to the car.

22 miles, 1/4 plus tank of gas and 7 minutes........priceless.

I had my convertible up to a GPS confirmed speed of 130 on the way to Las Vegas, but ran out of road. It was on the slight downhill coming into Baker (home of the Worlds Tallest Thermometer) and that was the only clear road I've caught on the 15 in several years. Not like the old days when I could go top speed for many miles.

Might get lucky this Sunday morning on my next trip...

I had my convertible up to a GPS confirmed speed of 130 on the way to Las Vegas, but ran out of road. It was on the slight downhill coming into Baker (home of the Worlds Tallest Thermometer) and that was the only clear road I've caught on the 15 in several years. Not like the old days when I could go top speed for many miles.

Might get lucky this Sunday morning on my next trip...

158 gps with whipple tune 172... thats right 172 with a custom tune prob had another 5 mph but no chance to test it so far

I was there during that incident. BTW, how is that young lad doing?

He was at last years 2009 Tulsa Team SHelby event and he looked okay but I don't think he will ever be back to his old self. That moment in Time was one I will never forget.

Here is mine, it still had go! But I was running out of "clean" road!

topspeed.jpg

I have a photo like that. It was either after a run that ended because I caught up with a Shelby of some description and had to back off, or when I put the GPS in a bag with a stone and swung it around my head on the end of an eight-foot string. It said 143.3 for a pretty-much stock 2008 GT/CS convertible automatic with fat ol' GT500 tires, or a small velvet bag and a one-pound rock.

Archived