TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Questions re: Muffler Delete Sysyems

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on these, or so I thought.

I have looked at the Pypes and the SLP muffler delete systems. I have read all the customer reviews which I think was fairly informative. In the reviews for the Pypes brand, ALL the reviews had said that the hangers had to be cut off, relocated, and then re-welded. The SLP reviews did not mention that, but thought that they were WAY overpriced for what you get.

If thats all there is to these, a nice tip with some exhaust pipe welded together then bolted on, why could you not just do that yourself?

So I ask any of you that have done that mod. Is it really that simple, or am I missing something here?

I got the Pype Bombs deletes, they did not have to have hangars adusted, but the clamps that came with did not tighten enough on one side, so i had them tack welded in place on the pass. side to keep it still... aside from that, no issues, LOUD, but not obnoxious to me, only pops occasionally if i get on it right after starting it and let off, it pops a little then... prob some drone, depends on what you like, similar, but better than my '68 running 40 series flowmasters... muscle car sound for sure! race car sound at WOT. love em lots!

I got the Pype Bombs deletes, they did not have to have hangars adusted, but the clamps that came with did not tighten enough on one side, so i had them tack welded in place on the pass. side to keep it still... aside from that, no issues, LOUD, but not obnoxious to me, only pops occasionally if i get on it right after starting it and let off, it pops a little then... prob some drone, depends on what you like, similar, but better than my '68 running 40 series flowmasters... muscle car sound for sure! race car sound at WOT. love em lots!

btw, the pype bombs have a 4" tip similar to the stock SGT tip, some other models/brands are 3.5" tips... mattered to me, might not to you..

jmn444,

Thanks for the input. Let me ask though, looking at them, is there more to them than I am seeing?

I recently bought the Stainless Steel Systems Off Road Muffler Delete for $210.00 shipped to my door...Installation was fairly simple, although I had to trim the rear most hangars just a tad to keep them from hitting the rear bumper....These have 4" double wall tips and sound awesome! I think the Pypes have such long double wall tips that that in itself actually causes some of the drone that some people don't like....I too had my tips tack welded just to be on the safe side...The clamps didn't seem to hold them as tight as I would have liked...I generally drive at about 80 MPH out on the open road, and I honestly don't think these pipes are any louder than the stock at that speed....Now, WOT in town and they are louder than all get out!!!! I Love Them!!!!

Do a search, I did a post on where I purchased them from about two months ago....You can have them made at a muffler shop, but these are full 304 Stainless Steel with the SS 4" tips and you can't have someone make them for you for that price shipped to your door....

Good Luck,

Carl

Edit: Here is a link to where I ordered my pipes from...

SSS Muffler Delete

SLP Loudmouths here. Rattle and some back-fire when they are cold, but that goes away when they warm up. There is an occasional slight resonating drone/vibration around 3800 rpm, but I've gotten

used to it!

Nice sound on WOT (lots of good comments on that!) and a low burble on deceleration. Not very much louder than having mufflers, except above 2000 rpm!

Sam

I've got the Magnaflow deletes. As far as the construction, they'd be awfully easy to make, I'm sure. The only tricky part would be getting the hangers fitted up.

If you've ever done any semi-complicated plumbing or pipe fitting, a set of deletes wouldn't take you too awful long to build.

As for the sound, mine are super ridiculously loud.

Ken, Im sure a video with the flows is forthcoming? If not please do!

Chris

Just finished cleaning them up Chris, now I'm going to get them installed real quick.

I'll definitely get a video up of the difference!

I have muffler deletes with a toggle switch. :D

Inspector Gadget.

I believe Mac (LuLu) had a local muffler shop fabricate his muffler deletes with stainless tips.

This is true, LuLu got a muffler delete kit long before these aftermarket kits were available.

First, I bought a set of polished and branded 4" OD Shelby SS tips from SPP, then I visited my local Midas shop.

There, they removed the stock SGT mufflers at the OEM union (over the axle) and then mandrel bent some SS 2.5' OD exhaust pipe to fit LuLu (hangers were required and supplied, but I don't recall how many, or where).

Once fit, the new pipes were clamped in place, and then the Shelby tips (which had to be reduced to fit the 2.5' OD pipe) were tack welded into place. As long as I had the real estate to work with, I extended the tips approx. 1" out past the OEM rear facia location so the Shelby branding could be seen. I don't rcall the cost of the tips, but I am sure it was under 100 bucks. The custom fabrication of the pipe and install labor was exactly 100 bucks. Even today, I think I did alright on this mod. I got what I wanted, as inexpensively as possible at the time.

The sound was awesome. As quiet (if not more quiet) at a stop light idle, and unusually reserved on a usually mild launch heading down a residential street. No one ever knew, and I've had been followed by the cops, but never stopped.

However...Under WOT, all Hell would break loose and folks said they could hear me coming from blocks away. Highway cruising was also very pleasantly "undercover", but again, until I let LuLu sing her song. Then, folks would change lanes and let me pass, either just to hear her sing, or get he f**k out of her way. That said, other factors in play were Pypes "shorty" headers added, OEM cats and X pipe retained.

LuLu's setup has since changed. LuLu now wears full length tuned headers with 3" OD collectors from StainlessWorks, 3" OD SS pipe to the rear, no cats, 3" OD "X" pipe, and 3" OD pipe all the way back to the rear axle, where it was reduced to meet my 2.5" OD muffler delete kit.

Shame...It was waaaay tooooo loud, even at idle, so, I had to restore mufflers and I selected MagnaFlows. LuLu is still living on the loud side, but we will live with it.

I traded my Pypes shorty headers and muffler delete kit to another TS member/SGT owner here, with the hope he would likewise enjoy the tone and tenor of this combination. I'll let him speak up on his own.

Meanwhile...If I had to do it all over again, I would choose the Pypes shorty headers, and (today), the Pypes "muffler delete" kit, and retain all the remaining OEM/Shelby stuff...Simply because it's fun to control the sound of an SGT with the tip of your right foot, maybe just your big toe?

Yeah...That's the sound...

Ken, Im sure a video with the flows is forthcoming? If not please do!

Chris

Well, the Flowmasters suck. I guess I'll take a video and post it up anyway, but I'm definitely going back to the deletes, my neighbors (plus local law enforcement plus common sense) be damned! :lol:

I think I am going to go the route of buying the tips and then having it done.

I was just hoping to have it done before Grabber's Meet, but at least it will be done before track day in july. :happy feet:

The muffler delete systems sound great. I may put them on first before headers. Does anybody see a problem with this plan. I have money for just one system right now and would be able to control / judge the loudness step up by not changing all at once.

Well, I did it. Had the mufflers taken off, and new pipes welded in. We used 4" stainless steel tips with a rolled lip, 18" long. All for $140. Cheaper than any "system" I have seen.

What an awesome sound. I was lucky to get it done Friday before Grabber's meet n greet. I did not notice any "drone". With the cruise set at 85, all I heard was the engine purring along. Sounds great. Wish I had done it way sooner.

Well, I did it. Had the mufflers taken off, and new pipes welded in. We used 4" stainless steel tips with a rolled lip, 18" long. All for $140. Cheaper than any "system" I have seen.

What an awesome sound. I was lucky to get it done Friday before Grabber's meet n greet. I did not notice any "drone". With the cruise set at 85, all I heard was the engine purring along. Sounds great. Wish I had done it way sooner.

where did you get those 18" tips. What do you think of the double walled resonater advantage members speak of..

where did you get those 18" tips. What do you think of the double walled resonater advantage members speak of..

The tips came from the muffler shop. Where he ordered from, I don't know. He had resonator tips that I looked at, but thought that was defeating the purpose of the whole exersise.

Here is a picture of the 18" tip that a fellow TS member took at the PNW Meet & Greet.

post-23391-127540173379_thumb.jpg

post-23391-127540173379_thumb.jpg

The tips came from the muffler shop. Where he ordered from, I don't know. He had resonator tips that I looked at, but thought that was defeating the purpose of the whole exersise.

Here is a picture of the 18" tip that a fellow TS member took at the PNW Meet & Greet.

Thanks for the sound clip. I think I just figured out how to fix my silver strip problem on my black 07 sgt. That red strip looks preaty darn good. I wonder how much they are. OR maybe the dealer would switch colors for me so I won't come back again. RIGHT !

• 1 month later...

Count me in with those who love Pype Bomb muffler deletes. I bought a set after doing some reading here on Team Shelby. My exhaust is stock with the exception of the new Pype Bombs and it sounds absolutely beautiful. Maybe a little loud here and there, but that's what I was going for.

Had mine done today...Went to muffler shop with a print out of the pypes muffler delete system so they could see what I was looking to do. they used the tips from my GTAs and used stainless pipe for the rest...here are some photos...it really is not that loud until you put your foot into it!...highway cruising speed sounds stock to me....$150 out the door cost...

dsc03955.jpg

dsc03953i.jpg

dsc03952a.jpg

dsc03951l.jpg

dsc03956j.jpg

Archived