TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Squeaking Coming From Engine Compartment

lawdude

Within the past few days I have developed a squeak, squeak, squeak that is loudest when engine is started in the morning and becomes less obvious as the engine heats up. Sounds like it's coming from the area of the supercharger, but I'm not sure.

I put upper pulley on a few months back and lower pulley (longer belt installed) a couple of weeks ago. I assumed the supercharger belt was slipping so yesterday I bought and installed a Steeda belt tensioner and replaced the larger VMP idler with the stock idler.

I figured I had the problem fixed until I started it up this morning and the squeaking was still there. Thoughts/suggestions.

Mike

Within the past few days I have developed a squeak, squeak, squeak that is loudest when engine is started in the morning and becomes less obvious as the engine heats up. Sounds like it's coming from the area of the supercharger, but I'm not sure.

I put upper pulley on a few months back and lower pulley (longer belt installed) a couple of weeks ago. I assumed the supercharger belt was slipping so yesterday I bought and installed a Steeda belt tensioner and replaced the larger VMP idler with the stock idler.

I figured I had the problem fixed until I started it up this morning and the squeaking was still there. Thoughts/suggestions.

Mike

had a similar issue with the metco double bearing idler. how tight did you torque the idler on? I fired mine up it was squeaking and I just backed off on the idler bolt a bit and fixed. same deal noise when cold stopped when heated up the. the bolt torque fixed it.

Glen

had a similar issue with the metco double bearing idler. how tight did you torque the idler on? I fired mine up it was squeaking and I just backed off on the idler bolt a bit and fixed. same deal noise when cold stopped when heated up the. the bolt torque fixed it.

Glen

Thanks Glen. When I crank it up in the morning, I'll try backing off the adjustment and see if that helps.

Mike

could be an idler bearing failing.

Had a friend tell me that this evening. I tried various tensions on my brand spanking new tensioner, but it did not affect the chirping. I'll have to get a mechanics stethoscope and try to narrow it down.

Archived