TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT MSO from Ford

springer

I just obtained a copy of my Ford MSO (Manufacturers Title of Origin) for my SGT from the Ford dealer where the car was first sold. For those that don't know, this is the original title that is received by the dealer from Ford when the car is new. This title is brought to your county office where it is converted to the new title for the first buyer. In Texas, if you live here and buy a new car here, you will never see this MSO because the dealers are required to transfer all titles with their local county tax office. The other thing the dealers do is obtain your new plates for you, so once the car is purchased, the dealer does everything. Nice huh!

If you are trying to document the car's history like I do with all my Shelby's, the later you wait to get copies of original documents, the harder it becomes.

So, two weeks ago, I go to the Ford dealership that first sold my car and they refused to give me a copy of the MSO. They said it was due to a state law because the MSO contained personal information on the original buyer. They said they would give a copy of the MSO to the original buyer if he came to their dealership and properly identified himself and requested a copy. It didn't take me long to call the original owner from whom I purchased the car. He was more than happy to go to the dealership and obtain the MSO copy since he hadn't been in the car since its conversion to the supercharger package by SAI. (I previously promised him a ride in the car when it returned home from the GT/SC conversion.)

So, last week, after a spirited drive to the Ford dealership, I obtained a full copy of the original MSO which was placed in my notebook with all my other SGT documents. It was nice having that missing piece of documentation.

After receiving the copy, I noticed that Ford MSO's are now called CERTIFICATE OF ORIGIN FOR A VEHICLE. The name has changed, but it is still the same document and nice to have if you're documenting your car's history.

Good luck in your hunt!!!!!!!!!!!! :salute:

In Colorado, if you finance your vehicle, you will never see the MSO. The dealer must send the paperwork to the lending agency to record the lein and then to the State DMV. However, if you pay cash, all generated paper work goes to you at the time of the sale and you have to present the MSO to DMV when you title and licence the car. I still have my original MSO as my car has never been registered or titled.

I paid cash for my SGT and recieved the M.S.O.

I made copies of the M.S.O. before I sent it in to be titled and registered.

I have made a scrap book with all the papers, certificates and any other items

concerning my SGT that I could find. The scrap book is getting huge!

Kevin

07SGT2591

On my Super Snake I ordered a REPLACEMENT MSO. The first one become void and the second one was used to get the title!

So I had the ORGINAL MSO (void)

I dont know if this is legal or not, but I just wanted to have it in the scrape book for the car.

MM

Colorado DMV told me that if I was going to try that, I would have to post a "bond" till paperwork cleared. Funny thin was, when I questioned it further, no one there that day could say what I really had to do. I never persued it any further since I didn;t want my car titled anyway. Good old government BS!!

In Colorado, if you finance your vehicle, you will never see the MSO. The dealer must send the paperwork to the lending agency to record the lein and then to the State DMV. However, if you pay cash, all generated paper work goes to you at the time of the sale and you have to present the MSO to DMV when you title and licence the car. I still have my original MSO as my car has never been registered or titled.

no title or registration how does that work can you drive the car on the street?

I just obtained a copy of my Ford MSO (Manufacturers Title of Origin) for my SGT from the Ford dealer where the car was first sold. For those that don't know, this is the original title that is received by the dealer from Ford when the car is new...

MSO=Manufacturer's Statement of Origin). I hadn't heard of it referred to as a title before. My understanding was that you use the MSO/Certificate of Origin to obtain the Title. Up to this point the car is in a "pre-titled" condition. I'm no expert so if I'm in error on this info let me know.

MSO=Manufacturer's Statement of Origin). I hadn't heard of it referred to as a title before. My understanding was that you use the MSO/Certificate of Origin to obtain the Title. Up to this point the car is in a "pre-titled" condition. I'm no expert so if I'm in error on this info let me know.

It is called a CERTIFICATE OF ORIGIN FOR A VEHICLE.

I've heard it called maufacturer's title, MSO , title of origin. etc. I called it "title" in my post a couple times for simplicity.

The header title on the original Ford "title/MSO/document or whatever you prefer to call it" reads CERTIFICATE OF ORIGIN FOR A VEHICLE.

Tell your dealer you want a copy of the "MSO" and you should be good to go AFBLUE.

The same is true in Arizona. Even for an out of state cash purchase they sent me an Arizona title which I turned in for the Colorado title.

I got a MSO for my truck which I purchased for cash in Las Vegas so my Colorado title was the first title to exist.

When I bought the Cobra it came with a California SB100 title which I also had to turn over. I asked for the original back - even marked VOID - but they will not return them.

On my Super Snake I ordered a REPLACEMENT MSO. The first one become void and the second one was used to get the title!

So I had the ORGINAL MSO (void)

I dont know if this is legal or not, but I just wanted to have it in the scrape book for the car.

MM

I'm bettin' mere mortals won't have any luck doing that. (Unless they get the MSO from the dealer.) I could have claimed a lost title on the Cobra too and gotten a replacement but it wasn't worth it so I made a color copy which shows the "void" stuff that watermarked copies do now.

It doesn't. Not legally anyway. No title = no registration, no plates. Must be a garage queen

That's correct, it is a Garage Queen. Still has 20 miles on the odometer. May pay off some day -- may not, who knows. It's one of a kind so maybe my kids or grand kids will reap the benifits. In the mean time I show it and enjoy it. The '11 that's on order will be driven till the wheels fall off!! :happy feet:

Archived