TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rookie Stripes

Need everyone's honest opinion. I had the larger white stripes on the car but I didn't like the color match and at night they made the factory stripes look cream colored. Soooo, I decided to buy the factory door side stripes for $120.00 and give them a shot. Here's the catch, the are 1/2 inch narrower, but the color and quality of the stripes are an exact match with the factory stripes. What do you think? Here are some pics.

Picture021.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture002.jpg

I like it, but makes me wonder how it would look with the svt pkg stripes. If your not into that maybe try it without the roker stripes. It might give it a cleaner side profile, and lighten the car up a bit. But if you really want a change, swap out your white stripes for black. I saw it on a SS and it look bad a$$.

Need everyone's honest opinion. I had the larger white stripes on the car but I didn't like the color match and at night they made the factory stripes look cream colored. Soooo, I decided to buy the factory door side stripes for $120.00 and give them a shot. Here's the catch, the are 1/2 inch narrower, but the color and quality of the stripes are an exact match with the factory stripes. What do you think? Here are some pics.

First, they're not called rookie stripes. History:

Fender Stripes are also known as driver identification stripes or Federation Internationale de L’Automobile (FIA) stripes. In the 1960's the GT350s and other multicar teams would put different colored stripes on their cars so that at a quick glance the pit crews could distinguish which car was pitting (they couldn't always see the numbers). So, if you track your car (not drag racing) it does have meaning and legacy. Today many people are putting these on their cars to give it a sportier look.

Second, I think that they're too thin. Mrfarmdog can hook you up with a matching set.

Lastly, I do like them, especially on your Grabber Blue, but IMO they look better on just the driver's side. Just my honest opinion as you solicited. Nice car BTW!

Thanks for the history lesson, I always like to know the correct reason or meaning. I did have the stripes from Mrfarmdog originally but like I said at night the color was way off. During the day it wasn't as noticiable. I appreciate any input or possible pics of the different color suggestions. Everyone has different ideas and I might step outside of my box and try something different.

I like it!

I've wondered what my SGT would look like using the rocker stripe as a pit/fender/rookie stripe. As Steeltown points out they were/are ment for quick identification of the car. If everyone had th same fender stripe then it becomes a mute point to have them other than for looks.

I have Farmer's stripes on mine but I only used one stripe on each fender simply to be different from the crowd. I even considered mixing colors such as silver and yellow on each side.

If you hadn't told me, I'd never have known. Maybe if you had a car with "regular" fender stripes on it sitting next to it you could tell. But then, whose is the 'oddball'? The thicker or the thinner??? FWIW, there is a original Cobra sitting in the Shelby shop in LV with two fender stripes that are THINNER than the 2" stripes most people use. Not quite 1" thick but certainly not 2" thick.

So, who/which is "right"?

I say, if *you* like them, forget about what everyone else thinks.

But maybe that's just me,

Phill

If you hadn't told me, I'd never have known. Maybe if you had a car with "regular" fender stripes on it sitting next to it you could tell. But then, whose is the 'oddball'? The thicker or the thinner??? FWIW, there is a original Cobra sitting in the Shelby shop in LV with two fender stripes that are THINNER than the 2" stripes most people use. Not quite 1" thick but certainly not 2" thick.

Phill

Thanks Phil, They are growing on me and they are the same quality and an exact match to the original stripes.

Thanks Phil, They are growing on me and they are the same quality and an exact match to the original stripes.

I noticed that the double door stripes on my '10 are actually one stripe (w/clear center).

Is that what you used?

Phill

Phill

NOTE: OneTrickPony started this tread with, "Need everyone's honest opinion", which is what he got... I don't believe that there is a rule book on FIA fender stripes for appearance purposes. I originally thought that the SVT Performance Package stripes on the '11 were too thin, but they have grown on me... His car looks great regardless.

These cars are starting to resemble Zebras!

Paint on cars actually looks good too!

It is a jungle out there...

Appeciate all opinions and up front comments, no comment will offend me :cry: . We all have a little different taste and styles that's how we all grow. I will say this, when we first drove the car around, it didn't seem to get many looks :headscratch: , then I put the fender/rookie stripes on both sides and drivers noticed the car. We got more thumbs up in one short afternoon then we did in the first few months of ownership. Ours was the first one in my area and there are only a couple others around.

Appeciate all opinions and up front comments, no comment will offend me :cry: . We all have a little different taste and styles that's how we all grow. I will say this, when we first drove the car around, it didn't seem to get many looks :headscratch: , then I put the fender/rookie stripes on both sides and drivers noticed the car. We got more thumbs up in one short afternoon then we did in the first few months of ownership. Ours was the first one in my area and there are only a couple others around.

That's why I'm glad they offered the SVT Package with different stripes on the '11. Too many mustangs out there with stripes that look just like the regular shelby stripes. I think the 2 color SVT strips really set it apart from the others out there.

I don't think those stripes look bad necessarily but when you combine them with windshield decals and God knows what it just starts to look "ricerish" with stickers all over it. I wouldn't do any more decal/striping modifications if it were me.

I considered the angled stripes when I was brainstorming the direction I wanted to take my car, as I do like the stripes and you did a good job applying them. However, it gets a little too busy when combined with the other stripes going over the car. On the positive side it's something different from nearly every other GT500, and that's a good thing.

I ultimately went the other direction and removed my side stripes and 86'd the idea of the fender stripes. I didn't want to give up the GT 500 designation, so I had a custom vinyl graphic made. It's nice seeing people give their GT500's a unique identity - keep 'em coming!

861164402_nDj3Y-X3.jpg

I considered the angled stripes when I was brainstorming the direction I wanted to take my car, as I do like the stripes and you did a good job applying them. However, it gets a little too busy when combined with the other stripes going over the car. On the positive side it's something different from nearly every other GT500, and that's a good thing.

I ultimately went the other direction and removed my side stripes and 86'd the idea of the fender stripes. I didn't want to give up the GT 500 designation, so I had a custom vinyl graphic made. It's nice seeing people give their GT500's a unique identity - keep 'em coming!

861164402_nDj3Y-X3.jpg

I never would have thought of that, it looks great and like you said, different from the others.

861164402_nDj3Y-X3.jpg

DAMN THAT LOOKS GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

861164402_nDj3Y-X3.jpg

I have the same color combo and would not have thought of that set up. Looks awesome.

861164402_nDj3Y-X3.jpg

Wanted that color combo but Ford wouldn't sell the SVT package with silver stripes.

Looks like a beast! Don't know how anyone can think anything can look better than showroom polished black!

Are those Aftermarket rims? I'm digging them.

Wanted that color combo but Ford wouldn't sell the SVT package with silver stripes.

Looks like a beast! Don't know how anyone can think anything can look better than showroom polished black!

Are those Aftermarket rims? I'm digging them.

Dont want to hijack this thread so u can find the info under Mods in the Forgestar thread. I'd give u the link but I'm on the iPhone.

Archived